PDA

View Full Version : winterizing questions

04TurfT
09-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I was wondering if yall had any tips as to what yall do with your stuff over the winter time? I've heard run the gas out of everything or put stabilizer in the gas, in the mowers blowers and trimmers, but what are some other good things to do to all equipment? thanks in advance

scholzee
09-14-2006, 12:13 PM
I like to put stabilizer in the gas and leave them full with gas. full keeps moisture out from condensation. In the past I would run the gas out of the equipment but when things were left dry they seemed to develope leaks when I would start using them again.

lawnspecialties
09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
I just asked this question in the "repair" forum for my aerator. RestoRob said the same thing plus run the equipment 10 minutes or so every couple of months. My dealer said drain the tank and carb but I wonder about that. The only other thing I'd say is change the oil so the old oil with contaminants doesn't just lay there and get recirculated every time you run it. :)

grass_cuttin_fool
09-14-2006, 01:23 PM
I use a product called seafoam, its works as a stabil aid and a cleaner. I like to start using this product a couple of weeks before Im done with the equipment so that it has a chance to be in the system. I do as Rob stated also and try to crank the equipment every 2-3 weeks and let it run some. I seem to have alot less trouble in the spring then if I let the equipment set for 3-4 months and try to start them

wayne

Dano50
09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Give them a light coat of Fluid Film (http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com)to keep them protected while in storage.

scagwildcat
09-14-2006, 02:57 PM
i wash everything, then park them, once every two weeks i start them and let them run for a few, anything hydro gets moved around so the fluid circulates. then in the spring, they get tuned up for the season, no sense of having new oil/fluids sitting in a cold motor all winter.. its not like a boat motor were the lower unit can get water in it and freeze.....
someone here said that they get leaks if they empty or drain things, your right, everything is plastic now, and plastic or what ever its called,swells, have you ever taken a carb apart to clean it ? have you ever noticed the diafram shrivel up?

lawnpro724
09-14-2006, 03:50 PM
I change oil, sharpen blades and use stabil in large mowers and wb and fill up gas tank and fire them up at least once a month in winter. Small engines is another story Trimmers, blowers, ect. I drain most of gas out then start them up and let them run til they quit then remove spark plug wire and take out spark plug and ad a few drops of 30w oil in cylinder replace plug and crank it over a few times to coat the cylinders. I have been doing this for over 15 years and never had a problem with leaks or any thing else. Just put fresh gas in spring and they fire right up.

04TurfT
09-14-2006, 06:43 PM
okay this is the kinda tips I was looking for, but as far as changing hydro oil and filter, and oil filter and oil yall would wait till the spring? I always wondered if it was bad to let new oil sit in a machine for a prolonged amount of time? I always clean all my equipment and then clean up my trailer and then paint it, and get it ready for the spring time. Thanks alot

grass_cuttin_fool
09-14-2006, 06:51 PM
okay this is the kinda tips I was looking for, but as far as changing hydro oil and filter, and oil filter and oil yall would wait till the spring? I always wondered if it was bad to let new oil sit in a machine for a prolonged amount of time? I always clean all my equipment and then clean up my trailer and then paint it, and get it ready for the spring time. Thanks alot

I wait till spring to do it. Things seem to happen to engines when they sit for long times as opposed to running everyday or so it seems in my case. If you change oil in the fall and the engine sits all winter and a float sticks on a carb and fills the crankcase with fuel, its a good chance when you start the engine in the spring and start to use it, you are going to loose the engine. On the other hand, with old oil in the engine and changing it in the spring.........you may catch the float problem and smell or notice alot more fluid coming from the drain on the engine and get it fixed before the engine is ruined.

Someone will say that you should have tank cut offs and that this wont happen. Well sometime I forget to cut them off or just dont do it. But this is why I do most of my service work late in Feb or in March before the season begins to get in full swing

wayne

steve45
09-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Don't forget the battery on electric start equipment! I run a trickle charger that is plugged into a timer. I've had bad luck with leaving an automatic charger on all the time. I set the timer to run about 15 minutes per day and the battery stays full and lasts for a long time.