PDA

View Full Version : yet another homeowner mower choice ?

dixie134
09-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Been reading here for a little while.I cut 6 acres of grass all flat land.I have trees and flower beds and more trees to cut around.It currently takes 6 -7 hours to just cut the yard.I have been researching the various zero turns and was initially looking at the cheaper home depot lowes ones till i read bad stuff about them here. Then the previous thread i read people saying it is over kill for a homeowner to have a commercial mower.With my situation does it make more sense to buy a commercial or non commercial zero turn.I saw it as the commercial are more expensive but you get what you pay for. :confused: :dizzy:

Lumberjack
09-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Several companies make better grade homeowner equipment like Gravely and John deere that are availible only at dealers. At 6 acres you will definatly want a better unit then home depot can provide.

lzrj
09-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Whats your price limit? The highest review mower for homeowners seem to be the Hustler Fasttrak ($4000-$5000) but they have smaller decks too. I did not like them because they are so small and Im so large. My wife said I looked really silly sitting on one. With 6 acres, I would get something with a 60" deck to really cut down your mowing time. I just bought an Everride warrior for $6,500. It is a full size mower that has everthing all the other full size commercial mowers have. Thats only about $500 more than other offer for the small frame mowers and $2000 less than other similar makes. Its an 05 model and there are still a few new 05's out there. A store on Ebay has an 05 warrior with 60" deck for $6,450. If your buy a new 06 Warrior its going to cost you at least a thousand more. I looked long and hard before I finally bought. I think i got the best mower for the best price. Oh Ya, and I love the mower the more I play around with it and its very well built.

steve45
09-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Don't rule out a used commercial mower! If your budget is limited, shop for a used one. I bought a used Scag for about half the cost of a new one. Sure, the engine has 1200 hours one it (about half it's life expectancy), but it should last my a LONG time for personal use.