PDA

View Full Version : briggs 24hp vs kawasaki 19hp

lawnjockey56
09-14-2006, 07:49 PM
hi guys im a newbie here and am purchasing my first new commercial mower-a 48 inch scag tiger cub-i have 2 choices-one with a 19 hp kawasaki for 6600 or one with a 24 hp kawasaki for 6000-both have a 2 yr warranty so im wondering if there is a big difference-thanks guys and gals.:usflag:

metro36
09-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Do a search and you will find your answer. This topic was discussed a week or so ago.

Envy Lawn Service
09-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Do a search and you will find your answer. This topic was discussed a week or so ago.

Yep, and the bottom line is that there is no reason not to try the 24hp Briggs and get way more power for less money.

This has been gone over several times and several guys have went with the 24hp Briggs... not one back to complain yet. I think most of them saved more than the 600 plus tax you'll save as I think most dealers want more than $6,600 for the 19hp Kawi.

But in any event, even if the Briggs dies the day after the warranty expires, $600 goes a long way towards repairs or a NEW engine to re-power the mower.

J&R Landscaping
09-14-2006, 10:24 PM
What type of briggs engine is on it, vanguard, intek.....?

JTF40
09-14-2006, 10:27 PM

.............If it is a Vanguard, it is a hoss !!!!!:usflag:

Envy Lawn Service
09-14-2006, 10:39 PM

Scag is using the Briggs ELS engines (Extended Life Series)

http://www.scag.com/images/briggs_24els.jpg

traman
09-14-2006, 10:43 PM
i would go with the Briggs,can never have enough power ,we mow more wet grass than dry in my opinion.the morning due alone doesn't dry up till almost 10:30
the only thing i don't like about the Briggs is the air filter,the Kawasaki i think you can get the Donaldson type filter which is more efficient .welcome to lawn site

Envy Lawn Service
09-14-2006, 10:52 PM
i would go with the Briggs,can never have enough power ,we mow more wet grass than dry in my opinion.the morning due alone doesn't dry up till almost 10:30
the only thing i don't like about the Briggs is the air filter,the Kawasaki i think you can get the Donaldson type filter which is more efficient .welcome to lawn site

Unlike Kawasaki, the stock Briggs air filter system is just fine.
It needs periodic maintenance, but does it's job of cleaning the air just fine, and does not clog in no time like the Kawasaki's. I'll never own another Kawi without the canister filtration if I can help it.

Note to Briggs buyers...

Some of the engines have TWO air filter options.
One is just a really nice looking thick cartridge.
The other is a automotive like filter with a sponge pre-filter.

Personally, I run the automotive type with the prefilter.
Very effective and much lower cost.

I'm able to keep atleast a pair of prefilters, so when one get's dirty I exchange for a clean one, and clean the dirty one next time I have a chance. I keep them in ziplock bags in the truck at all times for changing on the fly. This method gets me long life out of the main cartridge and saves me the time, trouble and expense of the other cartridge type.

CELawn
09-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Unlike Kawasaki, the stock Briggs air filter system is just fine.
It needs periodic maintenance, but does it's job of cleaning the air just fine, and does not clog in no time like the Kawasaki's. I'll never own another Kawi without the canister filtration if I can help it.

Note to Briggs buyers...

Some of the engines have TWO air filter options.
One is just a really nice looking thick cartridge.
The other is a automotive like filter with a sponge pre-filter.

Personally, I run the automotive type with the prefilter.
Very effective and much lower cost.

I'm able to keep atleast a pair of prefilters, so when one get's dirty I exchange for a clean one, and clean the dirty one next time I have a chance. I keep them in ziplock bags in the truck at all times for changing on the fly. This method gets me long life out of the main cartridge and saves me the time, trouble and expense of the other cartridge type.

I actually spent some time on the phone with Briggs earlier in the week regarding air filters because I am using the cartridge filter (698754) with a pre-cleaner. They said it was OK. The cartridge is washable, but there was some debate among the folks at Briggs about doing it. I have never washed it, I just knock the dirt out on my workbench. I also change the pre-cleaner everyday.

I love the Briggs engine. I have cut some pretty wet, thick stuff and have never been lacking power. BTW I used the money I saved on the kaw engine to buy a new blower and do some advertising.