PDA

View Full Version : What do you really big companies mow with?

punk_rockin2001
09-14-2006, 06:56 PM
What brand of mower do the really big companies use? I have no idea how many larger companies are on here so we'll just say anyone w/150 plus yards. In my town there are 2 really big companies and a bunch of small ones. The two large ones have about 1500 yards combined, and both of them use all Exmark ztr's and lesco walk behinds. Everyone else uses a variety of "other" mowers and the differences are huge. The exmark yards are far superior to any other mower, although the people using the other mowers have many many more years experience than the bigger companies high school employees. The reason I ask is whenever someone puts a "which mower is better" thread up you always get the same answers, everyone likes their own mower. I might get the same response with this thread but I thought it might change it up a bit by finding out what the really huge companies use compared to the little guys. So you big guys tell us how many yards you have and what kind of mower you use!

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I call them like I see them. I've noted the weak points on every mower I've ever owned but they all have strong points also. But right now Exmark is still the best seller. Does that mean they are the best, no. And I couldn't tell you which one is right now. All seem to have strong points and weaknesses. So far for me Hustler has been the most comfortable but lacks in cut and power. Exmark has been the best cut for me but is not as comfortable. I like Scags but I haven't been comfortable with the layout on them yet. Dixies seem to be great mowers but they win the ugly contest every year but Grasshopper gives it a run for the money. Ford, Chevy, Dodge question.......

traman
09-14-2006, 07:21 PM
of the biggest companies around here that do 90%commercial and 10% common areas use scag mowers

punk_rockin2001
09-14-2006, 07:28 PM
The Hustler does seem to be the best run for the money, and is extremely comfy like Tacoma said but the QOC just isn't there in comparison. But with the new Triton fiasco who knows where exmark is going.

LawnGuy73
09-14-2006, 07:29 PM
of the biggest companies around here that do 90%commercial and 10% common areas use scag mowers

Same as around here, Scag and Lesco mowers.

Jpocket
09-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Around here the big dogs run either Exmark or Scag. Most smaller outfits do the same...but you will see all kinds. I have a friends who runs 2 JD 777 and 797's. I have noticed a couple of outfits with DIXIE CHOPPERS, but I have YET to see a Dixie dealer.

Around here lesco machines are in a distant 3rd behind Exmark and Scag.

puppypaws
09-14-2006, 07:47 PM
The Hustler does seem to be the best run for the money, and is extremely comfy like Tacoma said but the QOC just isn't there in comparison. But with the new Triton fiasco who knows where exmark is going.My guess is Hustler is in the extreme testing mode as we speak and they will have a more suitable cutting deck for different needs in 2007. We have had a lot of extremes in cutting conditions all over the US this year and I'm still not sure there is a deck that can match speed and all cutting conditions for different grasses. Tacoma, what do you think your Hustler would cut like with your Exmark deck under it and could it handle the speed? It sounds like the Ultra Cut might keep to much grass stuck to the deck to utilize much speed.

ChadsLawn
09-14-2006, 07:51 PM

Luke brothers use all Scags and Mexicans.. I applied there fro a job when I lost my full time job and before I re-started my lawn business. They never called.I called them and the lady was never in.
Theres the Budd group, they use Scags as well.
Also Nanaks they run toro,exmark and today I saw them with a Chopper

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 08:01 PM
My guess is Hustler is in the extreme testing mode as we speak and they will have a more suitable cutting deck for different needs in 2007. We have had a lot of extremes in cutting conditions all over the US this year and I'm still not sure there is a deck that can match speed and all cutting conditions for different grasses. Tacoma, what do you think your Hustler would cut like with your Exmark deck under it and could it handle the speed? It sounds like the Ultra Cut might keep to much grass stuck to the deck to utilize much speed.
In our grasses the Hustler with a deck like the ultracut would be a perfect match but it needs about 35 hp. I can't cut at high speeds around here with any mower right now (maybe a Dixie). The grass is just too lush and growing too fast. I know you run full stick but I don't think I could run full stick even with a 35 hp. I have been watching Dixies actually pushing grass with the front of the decks where is is so damp and thick. Like I said in another post though a little smoother cut and about 35 hp and the Hustler would be hard to beat! As Shady Brook has pointed out 28-30 isn't even enough power for this beast. Probably the best hill holding ZTR also but doesn't have the power (due to the high gearing) to go up any incline without loosing power. We haven't had dry slow growth conditions in a long time so that would make a big difference. Probably rained 15 of the last 20 days. I'm not bashing Hustler, there on the right track and eventually they will have a larger vertical engine to power this baby.

MMLawn
09-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Theres the Budd group, they use Scags as well.

Then it's by market/low bid then because here I have seen them using exmark, and JD

puppypaws
09-14-2006, 08:25 PM
In our grasses the Hustler with a deck like the ultracut would be a perfect match but it needs about 35 hp. I can't cut at high speeds around here with any mower right now (maybe a Dixie). The grass is just too lush and growing too fast. I know you run full stick but I don't think I could run full stick even with a 35 hp. I have been watching Dixies actually pushing grass with the front of the decks where is is so damp and thick. Like I said in another post though a little smoother cut and about 35 hp and the Hustler would be hard to beat! As Shady Brook has pointed out 28-30 isn't even enough power for this beast. Probably the best hill holding ZTR also but doesn't have the power (due to the high gearing) to go up any incline without loosing power. We haven't had dry slow growth conditions in a long time so that would make a big difference. Probably rained 15 of the last 20 days. I'm not bashing Hustler, there on the right track and eventually they will have a larger vertical engine to power this baby.Yea I saw the grass you were cutting and it would give anything a fit trying to get it all stood up and cut clean, I'm not able to cut full stick nearly as much as I could before all the rain came but still faster than other mowers probably. I have heard you talking about the Ultra Cut but I don't think it could handle as much grass as the Hustler could put in it at high speeds and get it back out of the deck, what do you think, remember you would probably be putting 30%+ more grass in the deck, how would it react.

LawnMower
09-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Around Newport RI, there running John Deere, New Holland with a pull behind deck, toro out front mowers. Then you have the Ransomes in the golf courses. Then its Exmark, John Deere and Bob cat for the zero turns and walk behinds. .

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Yea I saw the grass you were cutting and it would give anything a fit trying to get it all stood up and cut clean, I'm not able to cut full stick nearly as much as I could before all the rain came but still faster than other mowers probably. I have heard you talking about the Ultra Cut but I don't think it could handle as much grass as the Hustler could put in it at high speeds and get it back out of the deck, what do you think, remember you would probably be putting 30%+ more grass in the deck, how would it react.
I would say the Huslter would cut faster for sure in Southern grasses and I wouldn't need to lift them up. I think they designed the deck for high speed rigid grasses and I have heard few complaints South or East of Tennessee. Its just this mushy stuff up here and the fact that we are having spring all over again. Before I had the lift kit put on the Huslter it would slice through grass like a hot knife through butter. The deck took almost no power away from the mower so you could really go alot faster. It just didn't have the lift to pick up alot of the grass that was laid over. So our conditions, especially this year are very different. In the coastal plain, piedmont, Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc. the pure unmodified Hustler deck should give a great cut at high speed. I'm telling you I've never seen so many clippings as we had in August around here, they needed to be baled. The Exmark deck takes alot of power from the engine, sounds like an airplane taking off with the high lifts. Scraping this stuff off the bottom of the deck every now and then is just the price I pay for a smooth cut. The Ultracut would probably rob the Hustler of much needed hp.

puppypaws
09-14-2006, 09:03 PM
I would say the Huslter would cut faster for sure in Southern grasses and I wouldn't need to lift them up. I think they designed the deck for high speed rigid grasses and I have heard few complaints South or East of Tennessee. Its just this mushy stuff up here and the fact that we are having spring all over again. Before I had the lift kit put on the Huslter it would slice through grass like a hot knife through butter. The deck took almost no power away from the mower so you could really go alot faster. It just didn't have the lift to pick up alot of the grass that was laid over. So our conditions, especially this year are very different. In the coastal plain, piedmont, Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc. the pure unmodified Hustler deck should give a great cut at high speed. I'm telling you I've never seen so many clippings as we had in August around here, they needed to be baled. The Exmark deck takes alot of power from the engine, sounds like an airplane taking off with the high lifts. Scraping this stuff off the bottom of the deck every now and then is just the price I pay for a smooth cut. The Ultracut would probably rob the Hustler of much needed hp.Yea it looked to me like the grass you were cutting needed to be cut every 4 days just to keep it manageable, it takes a lot of extra work to handle grass that thick and damp. I would say you commercial boys had to spend more time and aggravation on grass like that which would appear to be less money but you all might be like us farmers and if we actually figured what our time made it would hurt our feelings.

WJW Lawn
09-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I thought most big companies mowed with Mexicans. Hmmm

puppypaws
09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
I thought most big companies mowed with Mexicans. HmmmAround Charlotte the Mexicans are the only ones that know how to run mowers, Americans have forgotten how.

Willofalltrades
09-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Mexican's are good reliable help. We, hard wroking, Americans are a rare breed. The point is mexicans work harder and are more reliable than the typical American laborer. With that said I have seen Brickman with a trailer full of scags one year and a trailer full of exmarks the next. Another company uses some wright standers, Walkers, and scag Turf Tigers (Wheeler). They really don't use any different models or kinds of equipment as the average "Joe landscaper" They just have more of it.

ed2hess
09-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Most of the national companies in our area use exmark. I was told by the local dealer that Scag would not sell to them direct (with big discount) and that hurt Scag sales. This past year the companies are now coming to the local dealer for Scag so I guess they worked out the discount problem.

Pro-Scapes
09-14-2006, 10:01 PM
I havent seen any nationals around here but scag and exmark seem to be the mower of choice. Hustler is gaining popularity mostly with upstarts who buy the fastraks.

Gravley and toro both hold thier own. We use toro but with all the spindle probs we had will most likley look to replace with hustler in the future.

you do see some JD and one guy running dixies. The larger guys do run the scags and exmarks tho.

Few kubotas around as well

PVLAND
09-14-2006, 10:07 PM
I worked for a big($25 million) company. They only used Bobcats and only 21" and 36". We mowed a 14 acre place with just 36" wb.

KS_Grasscutter
09-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Around here it seems you see mosly Dixons and Walkers. There are a few Grasshoppers and a couple Hustlers mixed in too. I recall seeing, to date, ONE Exmark on a trailer, and that was a demo unit.

fearthedeere
09-14-2006, 10:22 PM
No huge companies in my small town, but to date the largest company in the area is running dixies...and with the advent of a new Dixie dealer in Madison 2 years ago, I'm seeing dixies come out of the woodwork everywhere. Of course, this is Indiana, and I hear Dixies inevitably are more popular here than in the rest of the country.

I happen to have a dixie as well after I saw the big guy in town pulling out all the stops with the best looking lawns in town styled by the Dixies I decided that was the brand I wanted.

With my experience on my XW2700 (it's just passed 1000 hrs this fall) I've found that Dixies are thoroughbreds if you get what I mean. They're, IMO, about the best mower out there as far as cut quality to speed ratio goes IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING WITH THEM. Most of the guys running around in my town with new choppers make a crappy cut with them because they don't know the correct blade setup for different grass conditions or they just simply don't sharpen often enough.

This is why I think you don't see large companies with many employees using dixies Like for example Brickman...Since Dixies are thoroughbreds as I said, they're not the most user-friendly and the larger companies would rather put their destructive employees on a Clydesdale like a Scag or a trusty exmark brand mower. But Dixies are one helluva mower if the owner of the biz is the primary operator, or you have intelligent operators with some good common sense knowledge about operating and caring for equipment. Like I said: You gotta know what you're doing with them.

puppypaws
09-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Mexican's are good reliable help. We, hard wroking, Americans are a rare breed. The point is mexicans work harder and are more reliable than the typical American laborer. With that said I have seen Brickman with a trailer full of scags one year and a trailer full of exmarks the next. Another company uses some wright standers, Walkers, and scag Turf Tigers (Wheeler). They really don't use any different models or kinds of equipment as the average "Joe landscaper" They just have more of it.Yep I've worked all kinds and the Mexicans are by far superior, the ones I have now are like my own family and I help them with a lot of their business problems. If Americans had to go back to work around here I don't know what would happen, this is one of the fastest growing areas in the country and construction is still wide open and the more construction there is the more grass there is to mow. I think they want to cut every tree left standing in this area to build more buildings, it is very sad in a lot of ways.

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 10:38 PM
No huge companies in my small town, but to date the largest company in the area is running dixies...and with the advent of a new Dixie dealer in Madison 2 years ago, I'm seeing dixies come out of the woodwork everywhere. Of course, this is Indiana, and I hear Dixies inevitably are more popular here than in the rest of the country.

I happen to have a dixie as well after I saw the big guy in town pulling out all the stops with the best looking lawns in town styled by the Dixies I decided that was the brand I wanted.

With my experience on my XW2700 (it's just passed 1000 hrs this fall) I've found that Dixies are thoroughbreds if you get what I mean. They're, IMO, about the best mower out there as far as cut quality to speed ratio goes IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING WITH THEM. Most of the guys running around in my town with new choppers make a crappy cut with them because they don't know the correct blade setup for different grass conditions or they just simply don't sharpen often enough.

This is why I think you don't see large companies with many employees using dixies Like for example Brickman...Since Dixies are thoroughbreds as I said, they're not the most user-friendly and the larger companies would rather put their destructive employees on a Clydesdale like a Scag or a trusty exmark brand mower. But Dixies are one helluva mower if the owner of the biz is the primary operator, or you have intelligent operators with some good common sense knowledge about operating and caring for equipment. Like I said: You gotta know what you're doing with them.
I have no problem with that post. They're not as pretty as thoroughbreds though.

DuraCutter
09-15-2006, 12:35 AM
I worked for a big($25 million) company. They only used Bobcats and only 21" and 36". We mowed a 14 acre place with just 36" wb.

I believe that. Many many people don't like the big fast machines. Some companies build on that momentum and offer the smaller mowers. If I didn't have such demand for other services and I wanted to make it big in the lawncare, I'd go all small mowers. The older folks love them and are willing to pay a premium.

TriCountyLawn
09-15-2006, 03:47 AM
Theres no real "BIG: compaines around here. There 3 good size companies however. One comaine uses only toro equipment other uses Walker,JD and Gravely and the last one uses Dixie and Exmarks.

zeroturner
09-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Toro and Exmark around here.

YardPro
09-15-2006, 07:24 AM
measuring a company by the yars is not relly accurate.

we only have 65 accounts but will do almost $700K this year..
we have many large commercial accounts.

TURF DOCTOR
09-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Scag here with exmark few grasshoppers and lesco and cub cadets.

alot2lurn
09-25-2006, 11:26 PM
In my area of Northern VA its almost an exclusive equal mix of Exmark and Scag for the big and small companies although one of the biggest (Blake) has switched to JD from Scag my dealer which is also his sells both.He said his reasoning was a faster turn around time on parts.I bought a Scag and like it but I'm a very small company.

WildWest
09-25-2006, 11:34 PM
They mow with basically the same thing that all most ALL OF US have dragging behind our trucks! There are the exceptions for the large fields and golf courses.

Josh.S
09-26-2006, 12:40 AM
The big lawncare provider around here is Premier Lawns, and they use exmark.. most of the other businesses here use Dixie Chopper, and a small mix of toro's also..

prostriper
09-26-2006, 04:30 AM
The Hustler does seem to be the best run for the money, and is extremely comfy like Tacoma said but the QOC just isn't there in comparison. But with the new Triton fiasco who knows where exmark is going.

They still offer the Ultra Cut on some models. I would like to try a Triton out for size myself, you never want to go by word of mouth half the time on here, alot of the people that talk bad about the Triton haven't cut with one. I'm not saying all of you, but never knock it til you try it.

johndeereguy
11-14-2006, 01:56 PM
I mow approx. 300 acres a week. I use John Deere zero turns. 3 - 997 w/ 72's and a 77 with a 60. I also use a Land Pride 16 ft. finish mower puller with a John Deere 4720

lawnpro724
11-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Around here we use Toro ztrs and walk behinds and Echo power equipment for the most part and John Deer tractors. I have heard about other mower brands being good mowers but haven't had any experience with them. We only use Toro and Echo and have been having very good luck with them.

HazellLawnCare
11-14-2006, 05:01 PM
The KC area is mostly Wright Standers and probably Scag. That is what we will be using next season also.

Lawnworks
11-14-2006, 05:04 PM
The KC area is mostly Wright Standers and probably Scag. That is what we will be using next season also.

I thought you were out of lawn care and into drag racing?

HazellLawnCare
11-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Still drag racing just moving into a different area and what better way for me to make an extra income than to start another lawn care company.

Daner
11-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Scaggs, Exmarks, and Kubotas around this neck of the woods.