PDA

View Full Version : Tie down your ZTR's?

johnscag
09-14-2006, 09:14 PM
do you starp down your TZR's on yoru trailer, ??

mak2
09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
I always do. But it does slow you down some and I dont know if the straps would hold the Z on in a crash anyway.

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 09:19 PM
It might hold them if you had to hit the ditch or brake hard. It helps but nothing will hold in a severe accident but it may keep it out of the cab with you. Don't laugh I've seen it happen (not with a ztr).

johnscag
09-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Mine seems to bounce a bit on rough roads, and I see allot of photos that never show straps, i use 4 now, but sure would like to cut back...Thanks for th response.

ChadsLawn
09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
I dont tie mine down.. I have a 2x4 nailed to the floor. I also have wood nailed down to hold my 36 to the front.

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 09:32 PM
That reminds me on the Exmark DVD they show a row of Exmarks sitting side ways on a large tailer and the guy is strapping them down with a strap so thin it might be fit for one small motorcycle. Anyway it wasn't thick enough to hold a trailer full of Z's. The size and rating of a strap have alot to do with how much it will hold of course. Being an ex truck driver its something that is second nature because your dealing with lives (my own included) and saftey in general. I was pulling a boat one night with an auto though and it was strapped down very well with fairly heavy straps. Some kids pulled a tree out on the interstate and of course I hit my brakes too hard and the boat and trailer passed me up and I was going down the interstate at 70 mph backwards. Hit a guard rail and the boat broke all 3 straps and went and extra 100 ft down the road. Long night but no one was hurt. So no it doesn't always help.

jt5019
09-14-2006, 09:49 PM
They may not help in a accident but they will help reduce the chances of a cop pulling you over and they do help keep everything in place over bumps. I see tons of unsecured mowers on trailers around here. The one day i was in a big rush i was snagged by the cops less than a block from my house. :hammerhead:

lawnmaniac883
09-14-2006, 09:52 PM
I dont think straps will do that much for you in a crash, maybe having two prolockers on each mower but not straps. It is the instant shock that the straps cant take....

Grimmy
09-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Here in our area if you tie down, law states that the straps are tied down also after securing the equipment.
I use prolocker. Excellent, dot approved, pin secure the latch easy in, easy out for my exmark Z unit, however some units are not quite adaptable.

lawnman_scott
09-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Do you guys have open trailers with no sides? I never strapped down a mower with a open trailer, but always had sides. I now have a enclosed trailer, so it wou.dnt enen make sence.

JTF40
09-14-2006, 10:24 PM
When I used my Prolocker for the first time, I come to this conclusion - It is WELL worth the money I paid for it, period. :usflag:

dcondon
09-14-2006, 10:25 PM
I dont tie mine down.. I have a 2x4 nailed to the floor. I also have wood nailed down to hold my 36 to the front.

Just wait until you get pulled over for it.

green_with_envy
09-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Yes always unless i'm in my own developement working.

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Do you guys have open trailers with no sides? I never strapped down a mower with a open trailer, but always had sides. I now have a enclosed trailer, so it wou.dnt even make sence.
Like I've said before (being an ex truck driver) all loads should be secure. Just because you have sides or and enclosed trailer you still don't want your equipment slamming up against the front of the trailer when you have and emergency stop surely. Securing the load can help in alot of cases. I wont help every time such as a bad wreck but it can help alot of the time. I seen loads go through the side (and front)of enclosed trailers. But I'd say you are in the majority by not strapping or securing things. You just get this drilled in your head by saftey classes and if that doesn't do it a friendly reminder from the DOT usually helps jog a persons memory.

Envy Lawn Service
09-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Said it before and I will say it again...

GreenTouch Fastraps are the ONLY way to secure zero turn equipment.
And they only take a few seconds to use.
Not only do they tie your mowers down, but they actually stay still and stay put.
They are very strong also, which I found out the hard way.

These are one of the best things I have bought in this business.
Well worth the money.

BSDeality
09-15-2006, 12:04 AM
I rearended a guy hardcore with my dodge and trailer when it was loaded. I had 3" ratchet straps on them fortunately other wise they would have been in the back of the truck or through the window. They did slide forward because I had choosen a poor stapping point on one mower and had strapped the one behind it into the one in front of it. I have since changed my layout and now position the wheels directly under the frame sides. I run the strap around the rear of the frame and that machine will not move a quarter of an inch ever now.

Strap your crap!

TURF DOCTOR
09-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Yes fast straps,scags don't move don't laugh i did the first time someone said it to me it's true.

lawnman_scott
09-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Like I've said before (being an ex truck driver) all loads should be secure. Just because you have sides or and enclosed trailer you still don't want your equipment slamming up against the front of the trailer when you have and emergency stop surely. Securing the load can help in alot of cases. I wont help every time such as a bad wreck but it can help alot of the time. I seen loads go through the side (and front)of enclosed trailers. But I'd say you are in the majority by not strapping or securing things. You just get this drilled in your head by saftey classes and if that doesn't do it a friendly reminder from the DOT usually helps jog a persons memory.I have a 4x4 in the front of the trailer, and 2x4s to block the wheels. Dont see much use in anything else, there isnt much room for the mowers to move anyway.

Tharrell
09-15-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm mowing the weigh stations over in Surry county I-77 today, I'll get their opinions!!!

cajuncutter
09-15-2006, 08:16 AM
I had the 2x4 setup and it worked ok however my mower had come loose a couple of times and rolled around on the trailer. I installed the Pro Lockers several weeks ago. Well worth the money. It is easy in easy out and much faster than straps. If any of you have your doubts about them your local LESCO should have them. I happened to go by our local LESCO the other day and there they were.

petekief
09-15-2006, 10:31 AM
i like that - - - strap your crap
got mine down to a system
doesn't take long
could save a life
could be mine!

topsites
09-15-2006, 12:15 PM
They may not help in a accident but they will help reduce the chances of a cop pulling you over and they do help keep everything in place over bumps. I see tons of unsecured mowers on trailers around here. The one day i was in a big rush i was snagged by the cops less than a block from my house. :hammerhead:

I think honestly the issue being with straps and being in a rush is the fatal combination... I don't use straps but I hardly ever get in a hurry, just take it nice and slow, always real nice and slow, then it's no problem. SIDES on the trailer, my trailer has solid 2-foot high steel sides, it's not going through them and if it gets airborne THAT high in the air, then I must've been going too fast. Once or twice the Wb got airborne but that was when I first started the technique, it hasn't happened in years but it does take practice.

See, here's the way I see it: not using straps saves me the time I then use to drive slowly, so in the end it's all the same except I get better wear and tear from my truck (not to mention mpg is near 15) and it's less work for the same money, but time-wise it's all the same: NEVER make time on the road, that's just my rule.

The trick is, when not using straps it's when you're not in a rush, a bit of an oxymoron but the reasoning goes 'I am not using them because I drive so slow that nothing ever gets in my way because every thing is faster than me.' And I do, I really am one of the slowest moving vehicles on the road, I am sure there's folks out there who see me and go 'ohhh NOoooo not that SLOW truck in front of me again!!' lol.

No straps because you're in a rush?
That's bad news, leave it unstrapped but go back inside to relax, you're way too uptight for the road :)
I'm telling you, you save 1-2 minutes at the MOST by driving like the worst bat out of hell when compared to the oldest slowest man putt-putting along, it really is amazing how little difference it makes.

p.s.: I started practicing by setting my wheelbarrow upright in the trailer without anything to hold it: If it even moves an inch, you lose.

Daner
09-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Being Here In the country ...Idon't use them...The trailer that I made has 2' sides and a storage cadge at the front...Nothing Is going threw there.
Last thing to go On the trailer Is the ZTR I push everything up tight to the front with It,put the bad boy brake On Lift the ramp and I,m done.
If I Ride through town...Where the good guys are LOL I Put the 2" ratchet straps on.
If you get caught around here with no straps you can be charged with "Unsafe Load".

Turfcutters Plus
09-15-2006, 04:09 PM
No.Waste of time folks!

Ramairfreak98ss
09-15-2006, 04:34 PM
well i have an enclosed and an open trailer i use. The enclosed rides super soft and i can not even strap them down and they stay put... I do strap them in when transporting on highways or more than a couple miles to lawns though..

my open trailer rides rough and i strap them down well with large straps. Still thats not perfect... but i cant see any of you guys NOT strapping them down at ALL with ANY open trailer, regaurdless of 2x4s or anything else, its just dangerous.

The only time i dont strap on anything is when im just doing a development and going 1/4 mile or less to each stop and not going over say 20mph.

ow man
09-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Here in Illinois it's a law to have cargo (equipment) secured to the trailer. I don't know that they would actually pull you over for that, but if they stopped you for something else, they could write you up for that. Also if your ZT came off and injured someone, and it wasn't tied down, you may have a liability issue that lawyers could go crazy with. I was told once by a trooper to connect my break away line for my hydraulic breaks. That was a first for me. I had forgotten to hook it up.

Tharrell
09-16-2006, 06:46 AM
I mowed the weigh stations yesterday and had an opportunity to ask about tie downs and the law. They told me it is required to have your load secured. Even a homeowner moving something in the back of a pickup is required to "secure his load".
If you had an accident and your load was not secured, you would get a fine and your insurance would not pay for some or all of the claim.
The focus is on big trucks but any law enforcement officer has the ability to write this kind of ticket.
I know some don't like these guys but, they're just like you and me trying to do their jobs and keep us all safe.

parkeeee
09-16-2006, 09:21 AM
I have an enclosed trailer and always take the time to strap down my z.

I will also take the time to strap down myself with the seat belt.

Better safe than sorry.

BSDeality
09-16-2006, 09:44 AM
like I said before, I am a firm believer in safety on the road now after my accident a couple years ago. I have seen a 300lb walk behind and 1000lb Z slide forward with such force that it bent the tongue of my trailer into a banana. Imagine what would have happened if I had no straps at all?? I probably would have been dead. This wasn't an accident where I just tapped a guy. I hit him with such force that I knocked him out cold and he rolled across on coming traffic on a main road and into a telephone pole. I turned his compact sports car into a sub-compact sports car. The cops told me I would be alright legally because I did have straps (be it they didn't perform as well as they should have). They took the guy away in an ambulance, totalled his brand new car just driven off the lot earlier that morning. I drove away from the accident and then mowed the rest of the day. However I did see a chiropractor for 18 months after that to ease the pain of whiplash. You think accidents will never happen to you because you're a safe driver... well, all that gets thrown right out the window when someone nearly cuts you off and you have to avoid one person only to slam in the poor bastard in front of you.

If you get in an accident and you're not secured the police are going to slam you with charges, your insurance will not cover your damages and drop your coverage probably, you're opening your business and self to MAJOR legal problems. All this to save 15 seconds ?? I see so many people around here that do not secure equipment and it bothers me.

If you are in an accident and you don't secure your load and there are injuries. I hope it is YOU that gets all the injury as a result. I hope it is YOU and ONLY YOU who is the one who suffers from your lack of responsibility.

Be pro-active, put brakes on your trailers, put a break-a-way system on it, even if the GVW of your trailer is only 3K lbs. I run brakes on my little tiny 6x12 with my giant assed F350 towing it. do I need them? No way. Do they help out and make a huge difference in my stopping ability? YOU BET THEY DO! Weld some D-Rings onto your trailer ever 18" or so, have plenty of options for securing loads, Put recessed rings in the floor where you normally park your machines, this will speed up your strapping time and they'll work better than if you stretch the strap over the sides of the trailer to the d-rings. put LED S/T/T lights on your trailer, they grab peoples attention very well maybe you can help someone from hitting YOU. All these options are very cheap insurance against mental, physical and financial disaster!

STRAP YOUR CRAP!