PDA

View Full Version : lost first contract

mark lagasse
09-14-2006, 09:45 PM
As I am new in the business this is my first loss. I lost the bid this year for the subdivision I do. I bid 325.00 per month for the grass cutting, edging, weeding, weed eating, trimming, and trash pick up. 1.5 hrs per visit and a little more when the shrubs need trimming. 40 visits per year. winning bid basically all services the same but 52 visits per year 300.00 month. I figured 90hrs per year for them that equals $40 per hr. Mine figures at 60 hrs per year,that equals 65 per hr. I guess I am just letting off some dissapointment but I didn't want to lose the contract but I dont want to give my time away cheap. I will look for a better paying replacement. Bids were 285,300,325,485.
Mark

traman
09-14-2006, 10:05 PM
you didnt lose anything, you gained the knowledge not to under bid and stick to your price. star for you :clapping:

Scotts' Yard Care
09-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Mark , don't feel too bad over this. My wife was surfing the net and came upon a winning bid put in by Senske for one of our local rest areas; complete full service of this rest stop and the winning bid was $1898.00 total for a full nine months. Mulch, fert and squirt, mowing, tree trimming, shrub work, trash pick-up etc.etc.etc. I still don't see how they can make a buck doing that for that price.

WJW Lawn
09-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Yea dont feel bad...and remember the golden rule!! If you win every bid...then you're not charging enough! So don't sweat it.

Tharrell
09-15-2006, 07:15 AM
I'm just curious, was the 285 bid not qualified? Also, if you only lost it by $25 a month you were really close.

mark lagasse
09-15-2006, 08:39 AM
only lost by 25 but he is 52 visits mine was 40 so his per visit is quite a bit lower and so is hourly. What do you mean by not qualified?

Thirdpete
09-15-2006, 09:19 AM
it doesnt matter if yours is for 40 or if his is for 52. 300*12=3600 since he's going to be there all year, and 325*9=2925 since you're only there for about 9 months. if you would have had a spec sheet then you could have bid for the same number of visits. He was at about 69.23/visit and you were at 73.13/visit, so you were very close. just make sure everyone is bidding apples to apples.

Tharrell
09-15-2006, 08:27 PM
What I meant was, did he not have insurance or a pesticide license or something else that might disqualify him?
Why were you not on a 52 week bid like the other guy? Was there a prebid sheet or prospectus or anything that would let you guys know exactly what was required?
Anyway, don't sweat it. You can't win them all as has been said before.
Just try to learn from the ones you don't get.

Bel Air Bob
09-15-2006, 09:00 PM
As I am new in the business this is my first loss. I lost the bid this year for the subdivision I do. I bid 325.00 per month for the grass cutting, edging, weeding, weed eating, trimming, and trash pick up. 1.5 hrs per visit and a little more when the shrubs need trimming. 40 visits per year. winning bid basically all services the same but 52 visits per year 300.00 month. I figured 90hrs per year for them that equals $40 per hr. Mine figures at 60 hrs per year,that equals 65 per hr. I guess I am just letting off some dissapointment but I didn't want to lose the contract but I dont want to give my time away cheap. I will look for a better paying replacement. Bids were 285,300,325,485.
Mark
When you say trash pick up, are you talking about picking up some trash in grass before cutting, or you talking about picking up garbage from cans and taking to the dump? Also, don't sell yourself short whatever you do. Some guys will get contracts pricing low, but then be out of business in the long run when they aren't charging enough to cover all their overhead.

ed2hess
09-15-2006, 09:44 PM
On commericial properties in our area a bid of $40 per hour would be high bid. The larger companies are going as low as $18/hour in some cases.

TURF DOCTOR
09-15-2006, 10:08 PM
He's right alot of big lco here bid cheap they pick up the slack on volume and hardscapes and mulch, it also keeps the help working and to pay the fuel.

Pietro
09-15-2006, 10:12 PM
no sweat man. You know youre $ rate, if you dont get it, dont work for less.

mark lagasse
09-15-2006, 10:57 PM
My 40 visits is weekly april-oct twice monthly nov-march still covers a 12 month period. trash pickup was trash lying in play area and at entrances. We had no spec sheet just phone conversation. I didnt want to lose the contract but wont sell myself short. I will just try to replace it with a better service agreement, as you know customers don't like the contract word. Thanks for all the good words.

Mark

Tharrell
09-16-2006, 05:37 AM
It's awful hard to bid something when the requirements are not on a printed page. For all the hassles the state puts into the bidding process, I can say at least we all know what we're bidding on.
Cut, trim and blow on a weekly cut basis is pretty cut and dry and easy to quote a price for.
When it comes to a 12 month service to include a lot of incidentals like trash, number of cuts etc... companies should post a bidsheet with ALL the details to be fair to everyone concerned including themselves.
One of the details in my contract with the state for the weigh stations is a cleanup mow in the offseason every 3 weeks. Another is 3 leaf cleanup periods. Nice to have a spec and know what's required when it's bid.
Unfortunately, a lot of companies don't protect themselves with service specs. They just throw the jobs out there and expect everyone interested to fight over them, and we do.