PDA

View Full Version : wheel weights

Echelon
09-14-2006, 11:02 PM
ive got a ztr mower that doesnt hold hills well. starts spinning even on dry grass. just curious if wheel weights would help it stick better? ive lowered the air pressure but it needs more of something. any ideas or has anyone tried the wheel weight approach to this problem before? thanks in advance.

Jason Rose
09-15-2006, 12:52 AM
what brand of ZTR? I have used Dixon's for years, they do ok with the catcher on them, that's enough added weight in the rear to keep the wheels from spinning so much. Remove the catcher to use the mower as a mulcher or SD only and it slides everywhere. I had a set of wheel weights for snow and slapped them on there. YES it helped a lot traction wise! Right up till the FRAME OF THE MOWER BROKE IN HALF!!! Yeah, I think the extra weight on the wheels added MUCH stress to the hydros and frame. Maybe it was totally unrelated, I don't know... I know of another guy that had the same thing happen and he was not using weights.

Lot of people here say get a more agressive tire. If you are spining now, more tread will just tear up the grass worse. Maybe try to add some weight to the back of the mower, or gain 30 pounds or so, lol.

Echelon
09-15-2006, 04:03 PM
my mower is a bobcat ransomes zt120. its similar in design to a walker. just doesnt hold hills like a walker at all. its good to hear youve tried the wheel weights to some success, more aggro tires would only make it worse i believe.
does anyone know if walker makes wheel weights? i looked on their website to no avail. same at bobcat. the wheel/tire package is the same for either machine.
my stepdad also has a dixon and he said the same thing. cant keep it on a slope.

John Gamba
09-15-2006, 04:07 PM
my mower is a bobcat ransomes zt120. its similar in design to a walker. just doesnt hold hills like a walker at all. its good to hear youve tried the wheel weights to some success, more aggro tires would only make it worse i believe.
does anyone know if walker makes wheel weights? i looked on their website to no avail. same at bobcat. the wheel/tire package is the same for either machine.
my stepdad also has a dixon and he said the same thing. cant keep it on a slope.

See if you can put a piece of steel behind the engine, like exmark does on the lazer hp.