PDA

View Full Version : JD 997 for slopes

oldturf
09-14-2006, 11:46 PM
I mow several slopes with up to 28 degree slopes with my Ford new holland MC 35 and can mow slopes at 24 degrees with my two JD 997. I love the power , performance and ease of operation of the 997s but would like better slope capability with them. I am considering putting dual wheels on the 997s to increase stability but can't find any factory options to do this with. I can fab some adapters but I am concerned if there are any reasons that I should not do this. Will the wheel motors and pumps hold up on the extra strain, will it break an axle. Anyone have any real ideas or comments. I also have some 40 degree slopes that I can not mow except with a gang of 5 guys on trimmers all day, am looking at kuik kut mower, but they are over $40,000.00.

Envy Lawn Service
09-14-2006, 11:51 PM
There are ZTR's that are MUCH BETTER on slopes than that.

You should demo the Grasshoppers (mid and front) if you want diesel.

There are a bunch of better gas powered choices.
But for a diesel owner, I figure I might be wasting my time.

jpmako
09-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Oldturf,

I have seen many Quik Kut Mowers on Ebay for a lot less than 40K.
Personally I would not buy a new machine if it is only going to be used for a couple of specific jobs and not be used every day. Have you looked into hover mowers at all?

Envy,

Why is it that you have to post something negative in every John Deere Post?:confused:

Jason