PDA

View Full Version : scag tiger cub 48 inch

lawnjockey56
09-15-2006, 07:46 AM
hey guys-just purchased a scag 48 with 19 kawasaki-now about the deck-i mow in floridas wet grass and was wondering the best mulching option or combo? it seems the plate is the simplest method-leaving me the ability to remove it in case i need the side discharge. any suggestions on blades also?:usflag:

TURF DOCTOR
09-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Why mulch...

Willofalltrades
09-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Its fast enough, if the yards are small just double cut. Mulching is going to rob you of to much HP.

ed2hess
09-15-2006, 10:22 PM
We have the cub and cut the same kind of grass as you do. We have the plate over the outlet and use Scag mulching blades but we also use their low lift straight blades and see little difference. I didn't put all that channel stuff under the deck because I was afraid it would load the unit down. I was correct it muches just fine with outlet closed. We mulch because of safety concerns and we are much more efficient on small lawns never need to worry about throwing stuff in beds on sidewalks or the next door neighbor. Been doing it for 30 years and no problems.

dhatcher
09-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Ed2hess,

I recently purchased a Tiger Cub with the 24 BS velocity deck. Also purchased the mulching plate. After cutting a few times with side discharge, I put on the plate. The blades are the ones that came from the factory. When cutting, it leaves a small line of clippings about 2 inches wide on the discharge side. Do you have this problem? My wife does not like it so I took the plate off.

Today, I put on a new set of blades so I could sharpen the old ones, noticed the deck baffle was in the second set of holes. I have a set of mulching blades coming in next week. Do you think putting the baffle all the way down would prevent this?

Other than that, we are well pleased with the mower and the cut.

LLandscaping
09-16-2006, 08:01 PM
We use the high lift blades for side discharging on our Tiger Cub and Turf Tiger. We side discharge most of the time. But use the mulch plate and gator blades for leaves. Last year we use hi-lift gator and there was alot of blowout, so I going to try some regular lift mulching blades this year.

johnscag
09-16-2006, 08:15 PM
I would suggest dropping your baffle to the lowest setting, I do not have the mulching plate, but do have the bagger, and noticed with the baffle in the middle setting, it did not bag as well as it does when i lowered the baffle to the lowest setting. I have not tried all the way up yet, has anyone else? Thank you !:usflag:

johnscag
09-16-2006, 08:16 PM
As a follow up which type of blades will give you the best stripping patern? Have you guys noticed a difference, as I only have the stock blades so far.
Thank you

mag360
09-16-2006, 09:42 PM
hey guys-just purchased a scag 48 with 19 kawasaki-now about the deck-i mow in floridas wet grass and was wondering the best mulching option or combo? it seems the plate is the simplest method-leaving me the ability to remove it in case i need the side discharge. any suggestions on blades also?:usflag:

The plate works great on an advantage deck. The new velocity deck needs baffling in front of the discharge side blade, though (or the whole baffling kit)

Ideal Lwns & Landscp
09-17-2006, 12:21 AM
I spray the underside of my deck with PAM and it seems to discharge better. Plus it doesn't clog up with wet grass..I have the 48/ 19 Kawi tiger cub.

alot2lurn
09-25-2006, 11:11 PM
I have a Tiger Cub 48" 19 hp. kaw. with the Advantage deck.I put a mulch plate on it about a month ago no baffles it works great for residential yards between flower beds also its much safer (no thrown objects).I was using Gator blades their fine for taking an 1" or less off dry grass,on wet tall grass they suck, my scag blades that came with the mower work much better for that.My next purchase will be a chute closure that you can open or close with a handle on your deck.I mow large and small properties and I think that will be very convienient . About those strips of grass left behind I'd be willing to bet it was the result of wet grass hanging in your deck.Thats exactly how mine acted.

alot2lurn
09-25-2006, 11:15 PM
The part about the left over grass was commenting on dhatcher's post.