PDA

View Full Version : Biggest customer peeve?

bligh61
09-15-2006, 04:10 PM
What are your biggest peeves about customers. Late payments, over fertilization, sprinklers on when your supposed to mow! You get the point. I have a feeling they are all similiar! Now how do you deal with them?

hughmcjr
09-15-2006, 04:28 PM
My biggest peeve is customers who are retired, and have too much free time. They mean well, but they prune the shrubs that are part of the maintenance contract. They prune them and leave the clippings when we come to do weekly maintenance. We then have to take extra time to do what we didn't plan on and then it cuts into or eliminates the other work we now don't have time to do.

Second biggest is telling us how we should be doing the work, although this rarely happens. I have actually quit customers that are too controlling or I feel uncomfortable when we go to their property each week.

Water doesn't bother us much as we are used to mowing several months in rain anyway.

Showing up at a home and they didn't call or tell you that they are having a new roof, or windows put on or having the house painted. It pisses me off because we are there consistently every week, alsmot same say and hours. We only need a half hour to an hour, yet the painters or whomever are there for days on end. Let us get in and get our work done. Another is paint chips on the lawn or in the beds.

Another is a customer who has the gutters cleaned by someone else and then they leave the debris all over the ground. They do roof and gutters but not landscape maintenance. We do the gutters and clean up our own mess. So sometimes I have had to spend time cleaning up some other guys mess and he get paid for it and I don't.

ECS
09-15-2006, 05:10 PM
My biggest peeve is customers who are retired, and have too much free time. They mean well, but they prune the shrubs that are part of the maintenance contract. They prune them and leave the clippings when we come to do weekly maintenance. We then have to take extra time to do what we didn't plan on and then it cuts into or eliminates the other work we now don't have time to do.

Second biggest is telling us how we should be doing the work, although this rarely happens. I have actually quit customers that are too controlling or I feel uncomfortable when we go to their property each week.

Water doesn't bother us much as we are used to mowing several months in rain anyway.

Showing up at a home and they didn't call or tell you that they are having a new roof, or windows put on or having the house painted. It pisses me off because we are there consistently every week, alsmot same say and hours. We only need a half hour to an hour, yet the painters or whomever are there for days on end. Let us get in and get our work done. Another is paint chips on the lawn or in the beds.

Another is a customer who has the gutters cleaned by someone else and then they leave the debris all over the ground. They do roof and gutters but not landscape maintenance. We do the gutters and clean up our own mess. So sometimes I have had to spend time cleaning up some other guys mess and he get paid for it and I don't.You don't get paid for it because you choose to do it for free. Just send the owner a bill for additional services.

ChadsLawn
09-15-2006, 05:34 PM
I dont really have any peeves.. But if I were to choose 1. Like hughmcjr said retired customers. I have 1 that meats me outside everytime I show up. I trim there hedges once everyother month. For the last 3 weeks shes been asking every week, when Im going to trim. They've only grown maybe a inch since july. And some only have a few sprouts. I just tell her Ill get to them and not to worry. Shes the only 1 that bothers me about anything.

lawnmaniac883
09-15-2006, 06:59 PM
My #1 biggest peeve especially down here is gates. I just dont understand how difficult it is to unlock / make the gate easy to open. Three weeks ago a customer of mine decides she is going to put cinderblocks on the inside of her large gate to her backyard supposidly to keep the dog from digging. Thats fine and all but I sure as hell wasnt going to jump a gate, move 5 blocks and open it just to cut a damn backyard, complete waste of time ya?

Get a call the next day asking me why I didnt cut the back. Informed her of the problem and of course she didnt understand why her lawn guy doesnt want to play superman but anyway she asked me to come back and cut the back right, said I will cut it next time.

Three days later she calls back ranting about how high the grass is in her backyard, says she has my check in a baggie on her chair back there. I finally got there for her next cut and man it was high as hell but it made gettin paid easier. There we go, instant payment, threaten to not cut the backyard...havent had an issue with the gate again yet.

Tn Lawn Man
09-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Liars

For example: They sign up for weekly service and a very short time they change to bi-weekly and want to keep the price the same.

WJW Lawn
09-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Late Payers....PISS ME OFF. If you want to pay me 2 to 3 weeks late...I'll just cut your grass 2 to 3 weeks late.

Pietro
09-15-2006, 07:21 PM
I hate when people try to haggle with me on side job estimates. I get $30 an hour, Non negotiable.

Dunn's
09-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Late Payers....PISS ME OFF. If you want to pay me 2 to 3 weeks late...I'll just cut your grass 2 to 3 weeks late.
Only problem with taht is then they get what they want. they are only paying you to cut once a month at the weekly price.1 Charge late fee's, 2 then send a letter saying that they will be sent to collections after this date.3 Get a collections agent try Anderson, Crenshaw & associates.They will take care of it.

SouthernYankee
09-15-2006, 08:38 PM
I dont like homeowners, this might be a negative post, but is true. They all have something to complain about and they never tell you that you did a great job.

I did a bobcat job today and the guy just called me wondering if I can come back and scoop up one more bucket to fill in a back section of his yard.

I guess I should just do bobcat work for free.

Dunn's
09-15-2006, 08:38 PM
I hate when people try to haggle with me on side job estimates. I get $30 an hour, Non negotiable.

when they negotiate raise the price. every time they ask raise it again. put it in your contracts and policy forms that any attempts to negotiate will result in higher pricing and may result in cancelation of service.

HOOLIE
09-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Drives me crazy when I got clippings all over the driveway and sure enough JUST AS I'm about to get the blower the customer comes flying up the street and parks right in the driveway...

bushhogman
09-17-2006, 09:20 AM
I agree with southern yank. I hate home owners and have not done one of their yards in 10 years!! Strickly commercail accounts now!! I never have anybody tell how do it or when to do it. Best yet, nobody stands in the yard to watch me do it. Not that I hate old folks, but they drove me crazy. They want it done there way and they are quick to let you know they are on a set income. Thank god I dont have to fool with them anymore,,,

dlm17
09-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Ill Bet Most Of You Guys Who Dont Like Homeowners Dont Like People In General You Have To Train Your Customers, It May Sound Funny But If You Do This From The Beginning You Wont Have Problems And If They Wont Learn You Dont Need Them

topsites
09-17-2006, 01:01 PM
First I agree with dlm17, it has become clear to me that it is essential to pre-screen customers and it starts right on the phone... I even THINK it's going to be some kind of a bs thing like the usual and I don't even go out to estimate and if it doesn't start until I get out there that's just as well, sayonara... I find only 1 out of 10 potential customers suit my style, and life is easier after that but the problem never is completely fixed, you still always get a few, they sneak in there I think.

My biggest pet peeve are folks who like to cut their own grass right about a day or so before my scheduled appearance, that is now one of the fastest ways to find yourself off my schedule and when you call back it's +$5 on the price. I don't get too many and they only do it maybe once or twice a year, but I can't stand that crap when I come out and the grass is already cut.

Josh.S
09-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I get annoyed by the customers that call me.. one time I told these retired people that I would mow next wednesday, or thursday probably, if not I would make sure it was mowed before the weekend. 10:30AM wednesday they call asking where I was at and if I'm still coming. That pisses me off...

Also late payments get me agrivated

People that pay wierd don't really make me mad, they don't know how my tracking/billing is setup but sometimes I would send somebody a bill for say $100 bucks.. then they will pay $140 so when I arrive to cover this mowing and next weeks mowing. They are only trying to be nice so I don't get mad at them, I have never really explained that it messes me all up. I think next year I will just try to tell them that I can't accept prepay or atleast until I right a balance counter in my access program.

O well.. mostly I just hate people calling me for no reason...