PDA

View Full Version : Toro t-bar

lsylvain
09-15-2006, 05:14 PM
I was looking into a new mower. I want to get a toro with the t-bar controls. Here is my question on the toro site they only offer the t-bar with a 15 hp motor, what's the deal? (this is with hydro) t-bar is available on the gear drives with a 17 hp motor.

Brendan Smith
09-15-2006, 05:29 PM
do a search for t-bar, you'll see a 500 page dissertation by topsites on them.
personally, i'd rather sit than stand in any case.

lsylvain
09-15-2006, 06:06 PM
to many steep banks in WV for sitting unfortunatly. Plus I'm one of those people who just can't seem to justify 3 times the cost for only about 1/3 more productivity. I figure almost 50% of our time is spent loading and unloading equiptment and the ztrs don't save you time there. Add in the reduced gas miliage because of the added weight on the trailer, plus the increased gas consumption of the mower and not to mention all the extra moving parts on thoses things that break with time. Anyway... thanks I'll try to see if I can't find that post.

ed2150
09-15-2006, 06:09 PM
If you have a Hustler dealer nearby, you might look at their mowers...they have what they call the H-bar control system; you'd probably like it, too.

You can see them online at www.hustlerturfequipment.com

brucec32
09-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Yes, it's bizarre that they offer the t bar hydro only with the 15hp single cylinder engine. I had one of the older designs I bought used and sold it after half season's use. The 15hp definitely was not enough power on tall thick grass. It would bog. I have a 16hp Briggs twin on a 44" toro and until recently when it had engine trouble (it's a 1998 model) it cut the tough stuff fine. Torque matters. Look for a twin cylinder engine for that.

Unless you simply must have a 44" deck mower, there are better choices in hydro wb's out there. The t bar is great on belt drives, but jerky and hard to use easily on the hydro. I was warned about this myself by a toro regional salesman at an event, but bought one used anyway.

The decks they use on this mower are a pretty old design. They cut long turf and get it out and dispersed pretty well, but they leave long pieces since the grass gets cut once and shot out due to the deck design. Good for weed patch lawns, not so great on finer quality turf.

I'd try the Hustlers, Gravelys, Exmarks, etc. if you must have a wb.

nobagger
09-16-2006, 09:40 AM
We use a Toro T-Bar with a 48" fix deck and a 15hp Kawi. I wish I had more pony's though. It's ok, but in taller wet grass the 15hp just does'nt cut it for me, no punt intended. I would think any deck size over 48" there should be at least a 17hp or greater.

topsites
09-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I was looking into a new mower. I want to get a toro with the t-bar controls. Here is my question on the toro site they only offer the t-bar with a 15 hp motor, what's the deal? (this is with hydro) t-bar is available on the gear drives with a 17 hp motor.

Due to the inherent design of the T-bar, it doesn't make sense to make a T-bar hydro... It has to do with the brakes / reverse issue, when you pull back on the T-bar it engages the brakes so Toro has no way of fitting reverse into the design other than to offer only gear-driven T-bars or pistol hydros.

Toro can and will make you a T-bar hydro upon request, the beasts do exist but from what I hear they're not what you think they are like in actual operation, folks have described them to me as a bit of an oddball machine.

Gear-driven T-bar Toros are some of the best Wb's on the market, the only reason all the guys here swear by hydros is because they all have ECS / pistol-grip machines and yes, a gear-driven pistol grip Wb is nonsense but then belts are way cheaper than pumps.

brucec32
09-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Due to the inherent design of the T-bar, it doesn't make sense to make a T-bar hydro... It has to do with the brakes / reverse issue, when you pull back on the T-bar it engages the brakes so Toro has no way of fitting reverse into the design other than to offer only gear-driven T-bars or pistol hydros.

Toro can and will make you a T-bar hydro upon request, the beasts do exist but from what I hear they're not what you think they are like in actual operation, folks have described them to me as a bit of an oddball machine.

Gear-driven T-bar Toros are some of the best Wb's on the market, the only reason all the guys here swear by hydros is because they all have ECS / pistol-grip machines and yes, a gear-driven pistol grip Wb is nonsense but then belts are way cheaper than pumps.

Except for clarifying that hydros don't have brakes, they use the motors themselves to brake, I agree with this post. The Toro T bar belt drives are so superior to pistol grip, ecs, etc on a belt drive that they should be considered in a category in between regular belt drives and hydros for ease of use. If you mow large areas with fewer turns, the belt drive isn't that much worse, and has a few advantages in terms of weight, simplicity, ease of repair, and of course initial cost. But if mowing postage stamps and areas where you need to back in and out of tight spots, definitely go hydro.

Branchland
09-16-2006, 08:47 PM
I have a 1991 Toro 52" Proline Hydro with a 18 hp Kol. And yes with a T-bar. I love it. It stripes pretty, cuts great and even. The guy I bought it from 3 years ago told me to adjust the bar so it could only go so fast at first. Til I got used to it. In 2 days I had moved the bar forward to speed it up. It was jerky to start with but after a couple of days I could operate it smooth. The only time I've had a problem with it bogging down is if the frass is way too tall. Like about a foot. I'm wanting to get another but a 48".

John Gamba
09-16-2006, 08:49 PM
do a search for t-bar, you'll see a 500 page dissertation by topsites on them.
personally, i'd rather sit than stand in any case.

Yeah!!! take it on a hill:dizzy:

Branchland
09-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah!!! take it on a hill:dizzy:

I love mine on a hill. Works great. I just went out to double check the engine and it is a 18 hp magnum kol. My mechanic set me up on the deal to buy it. The guy I bought it from has all his work done by the same man. It is the oridgenal motor. Bought it for $800, around 1400 hrs and with a velke.

John Gamba
09-16-2006, 08:55 PM
I love mine on a hill. Works great. I just went out to double check the engine and it is a 18 hp magnum kol. My mechanic set me up on the deal to buy it. The guy I bought it from has all his work done by the same man. It is the oridgenal motor. Bought it for $800, around 1400 hrs and with a velke.

Glad your happy:cool2:

lsylvain
09-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks guys. I didn't even think about the hydro being a problem with the t-bar but it does make sense that the hydro and t-bar wouldn't mesh that well. All my t-bar experiance has come from belt drives. I loved the t-bar. I even have tried to make my own t-bar system for my other hydros but I couldn't get the design 100% right and I wasn't about to lop of the handle bars of a mower for a trial and error process. lol.

Harvest
09-18-2006, 07:32 PM
i agree that the t-bar belt drives are far superior to the pistol grip belt drives(operator applied pressure rather than springs) but i also like the t-bar hydros i used a 52" t-bar hydro with a 20hp kohler and hydro cooler on top and it worked good though jumpy especially when starting on hills but much easier on your hands and fingers for fatigue. you cant just slam the bar forward or the front will come up you have to be gradual.

MountainMow
09-18-2006, 08:03 PM
you cant just slam the bar forward or the front will come up you have to be gradual.

You cant do that with the belt drives either. I have a 36" T-bar with 15 hp kohler and you have to learn to be smooth with it too.

For what its worth, Im not sure the extra money for the hydro is worth it on a WB. I t think that if I anything I'd go with belt drive and more horses.

lsylvain
09-27-2006, 09:27 PM
What would stop me from swapping out motors so I get het the hps on the t-bar? Maybe you can special order one. hmm just though of that.

MarkintheGarden
09-27-2006, 09:43 PM

I have a 1995 T bar Hydro, and someone put a 20 hp Kohler on it. It jerks like crazy until you get used to it, but once you do it manuevers well forward and reverse. With the 20 hp it never bogs and I have taken it into the rough.

I like the machine, but it is an odball. I like the T-bar, but I would not like it if it braked when pulled back, mine reverses.

GLC51
09-28-2006, 01:01 AM
The T-bar on a belt drive and a hydro work differently. On the belt drive you push the bar on the outside wheel and let go of the bar and grab the handle on the inside wheel that is freewheeling and pull back to make the 180 deg. trun. On the hydro you push on the outside wheel side and pull back on the T-bar on the inside wheel and that reverses the the inside wheel and you do a zero turn. The hydro is obviously a lot less work to manouvre. Aslo to reverse just pull back on the T-bar no gear to change back and forth. Yes belt drive is less expensive but I don't think you will find anybody using a hydro wishing the were using a belt drive instead.