PDA

View Full Version : Rain in the Northeast...what are you doing about it?

mkwl
09-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Well, it's been raining here in NJ since Wednesday, and is supposed to rain for the rest of today, and tomorrow morning (hopefully it'll stop before 10AM or so). I'm running 1-3 days behind my schedule due to the rain, the lawns that were supposed to be cut today will probably be cut on Sunday afternoon (don't like to work Sundays, but sometimes I have to do what I have do do). Are you guys working in the heavy rain we're having? Do you call your clients if you're going to be more than 1 day late for their mowing? Pl:cry: :dizzy: ease stop RAINING!!!

ECS
09-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Heck we are getting snow!:drinkup:

lawncare18
09-15-2006, 06:38 PM
working sun up to sun down tomm... and im sure most of the guys are in the northeast... grass is growing fast and I half to get caught up.. let alone how busy I am at my golf course job!!!! I cut last night in a mist.. and had to blow clumps.. gota do what ya gota do to make the money.. could all be brown now so I wont complain... All this extra money is deff making me think about buying another mower next season.

1MajorTom
09-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Heck we are getting snow!:drinkup:
Wow, that's unbelievable. I'd go crazy if I lived there with the snow coming that early. :cry:

mkwl
09-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Would you call if you're going to be 1-3 days late for their weekly mowing?

THEGOLDPRO
09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
i sleep in, and do what i can when i can

ECS
09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Forecast for Jackson Hole
Updated: 3:55 PM MDT on September 15, 2006

Tonight
Numerous rain showers...isolated thunderstorms in the evening...then numerous snow showers and rain showers after midnight. Breezy...colder. Snow accumulation around 1 inch. Lows 29 to 32. Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Saturday
Cloudy. Chance of snow showers in the morning...then scattered rain showers in the afternoon. Breezy...cooler. Highs 44 to 48. West winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain showers and snow showers. Lows 26 to 29. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph.

Sunday
Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of snow showers in the morning...then slight chance of rain showers in the afternoon. Highs 48 to 52. West winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 20 percent.

Sunday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows 26 to 29. Northwest winds around 15 mph in the evening.

Lawn-Scapes
09-15-2006, 07:45 PM

No... most will/should understand why you are running behind.

DBL
09-15-2006, 08:41 PM
i sleep in, and do what i can when i can

exactly what i do

Pietro
09-15-2006, 08:55 PM
I live in NJ too, and we just wait it out. My ass is up at 6am, I go outside and see if I can cut, if not, back to bed. Even if we can cut for 2 hours, we can still get 5 or so lawns done, which helps out enough. However, we will mow in the rain, there are a few accounts where it really doesnt matter, theyve got thin grass and it looks good no matter what. Just takes longer to use the blowers.

Petr51488
09-15-2006, 09:08 PM

I'm sure their smart enough to figure out that if its raining you wont be there.. If not.. then you have some crazy customers

JohnsonLawn
09-15-2006, 09:23 PM
I always look at it this way, would they be cutting it in the rain if they had not hired me to do it. If I painted houses for a living they would not want me there. I agree, do what you can, when you can and as best you can.

LB1234
09-15-2006, 10:02 PM
After 2-3 days of solid rain if the customer calls and asks were I am, I simply place them on the back of the list. Those that don't hassle me get done first.

jt5019
09-15-2006, 11:22 PM
I was able to get all but 6 complete i may just wait until monday and start fresh. I made sure to cut the lawns that are growing really fast.. the rest well everybody can see its been raining. I try to not cut on the weekend because then it just throws the whole schedule off for the following week.

Jpocket
09-15-2006, 11:32 PM
we've just been looking out the window : ) I've been catching up on things in the office...BLAH BLAH BLAH. Im sick of this rain. This week looked promising. Thought everything would be done by Friday 5:00PM Hell we haven't had a straight week with no rain Since early August. Seems like for the past 3 weeks we have either skipped lawns entirely for the week or had to cut ALL day saturday. I would rather things be somewhat dry (not a drought)...atleast the weather would be nice. We would be taking days off because there is no work, not b/c we can't get to it, and have to work all weekend to get it under control.

Im really geting tired of the ups and downs with the weather. I was dead set on cutting from here on in, flat 4 cuts a month for all 110 customers for Sept & Oct. This late in the season, we'll never get that money back from the missed cuts.

greengiant9963
09-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Forcast for Buffalo NY. Monday-Rain. Tuesday-Rain. Wednesday-Rain. Thursday-Rain. The lawns are saturated. Going to have to find a good boat and put some mower blades on it and get to work.:hammerhead:

prizeprop
09-16-2006, 11:36 AM
No dont call them. We really hussled mon-wed anticipated the rain. but had one day left, well cut them monday and again on friday.

lawncare18
09-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Rain all week i think to in the cny area... I just came home from runing some rrands at 7 at ngiht and still saw companies out mowing!!!