PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Trailer Registration Holder?

Randy S
09-15-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm looking for a way to keep my trailer registration with the trailer as I loan it to friends and family occasionally and invariably the registration is in my glovebox. I saw a trailer with a small clear plastic container with a hinged cover that was mounted on the tongue. It was roughly four inches square and 1/2"-3/4" thick with a rubber gasket. Anyone have an idea where to get one?

General Landscaping
09-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Store it in a PVC pipe with 1 hard cap and 1 threaded cap; attatched to the trailer.

Turf Terror
09-15-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm looking for a way to keep my trailer registration with the trailer as I loan it to friends and family occasionally and invariably the registration is in my glovebox. I saw a trailer with a small clear plastic container with a hinged cover that was mounted on the tongue. It was roughly four inches square and 1/2"-3/4" thick with a rubber gasket. Anyone have an idea where to get one?
NAPA(one that carries truck parts), Big Truck supply store, truckstop...

Randy S
09-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Store it in a PVC pipe with 1 hard cap and 1 threaded cap; attatched to the trailer. Thanks; good idea. I was thinking along the same lines of welding a piece of pipe to the tongue with a threaded end & cap. Pop riveting a tailor made container seems more appealing if I can find one, but otherwise, that's what I'll do.

General Landscaping
09-16-2006, 12:30 AM
Weld a couple loops on the frame and secure the PVC with hose clamps. Get out the bolt cutters and cut some links from a light chain. (chain links also make great rope tie down points)
I'd stay away from metal pipe because you will have to deal with rusted threads at the most inopportune moment.:o
Possibly galvanized pipe and coupler with threaded PVC plug and some light color grease.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-16-2006, 08:19 AM
NAPA(one that carries truck parts), Big Truck supply store, truckstop...

I agree with this post, as a truck mechanic for 20 years, our fleet had around 90 trailers and this is what we used also and worked great.

wayne

Randy S
09-16-2006, 10:15 AM
More time than I care to think about with Google finally revealed this site (http://www.ssbtractor.com/final2.html). The holders are towards the bottom of the page.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Yep..........the $8.99 one is what we used forever

wayne