PDA

View Full Version : Wear your boots, stupid!!

YotaNate
09-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Last week I posted about a lady who died after running over herself with a w/b. Today was a little more personal. I was mowing a large (3 acre) yard and a kid across the street was weedeating a ditch. I see him sitting down for a smoke break and wave. About 15 minutes later I see him sitting down holding his foot. I figured he took a rock to the foot, and it hurt a bit. I make the next loop (big loops on this yard :) ) and he is still there, so I go over to see what the problem was. He was shaking horribly, and his shoe was covered in blood. Seems he hit a big chunk of beer bottle glass and flung it into his foot. Went right through his running shoes. I called the ambulance and got him to give me his mom's number so she could come too. The EMT's get there and proceed to cut off his shoe. He severed his big toe, and the next 2 as well. About 95% cut through, right through the bone and everything. Just a bit of skin holding them on.

So be careful, watch what you are doing, and wear some damn boots! I prefer steel toe myself.

grandview (2006)
09-15-2006, 06:58 PM
This goes right back to the Thread about the guy cutting in flip flops.

ChadsLawn
09-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Last week I posted about a lady who died after running over herself with a w/b. Today was a little more personal. I was mowing a large (3 acre) yard and a kid across the street was weedeating a ditch. I see him sitting down for a smoke break and wave. About 15 minutes later I see him sitting down holding his foot. I figured he took a rock to the foot, and it hurt a bit. I make the next loop (big loops on this yard :) ) and he is still there, so I go over to see what the problem was. He was shaking horribly, and his shoe was covered in blood. Seems he hit a big chunk of beer bottle glass and flung it into his foot. Went right through his running shoes. I called the ambulance and got him to give me his mom's number so she could come too. The EMT's get there and proceed to cut off his shoe. He severed his big toe, and the next 2 as well. About 95% cut through, right through the bone and everything. Just a bit of skin holding them on.

So be careful, watch what you are doing, and wear some damn boots! I prefer steel toe myself.
You may have saved his life. If no one saw him he could have bled to death from his foot. Very good Job being alert to stuff going on around you.

You receive the "GREEN THUMB" metal of honor....:clapping: :clapping:

mkwl
09-15-2006, 07:15 PM
That's why I always wear my STEEL TOED work boots whenever I'm working! I feel sorry for the kid though!:dizzy:

Dashunde
09-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Ouch...

I always where something leather, whether it be my steel toes (after work mowing) or leather Vans (yea, they're pretty tough), or some old Bass leather shoes I have lying around.
You wont catch me out there in a pair of flipflops or even nylon'ish running shoes.

lawnmaniac883
09-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Wow, that is an incredible story, a big pat on the back to you. My cousin cut his big toe off when he was 6 using a push mower and sandals :hammerhead: I always wear steel toed boots, cheap insurance plus once you cut off a toe, that is it, you aint gettin it back ya know?

J&R Landscaping
09-15-2006, 08:14 PM
I always wear steel toed boots when im working. I have them on a lot when I am not working because there nice and comfrtable. My feet feel weird when i dont have my boots on.

Pietro
09-15-2006, 08:36 PM
I just wear running shoes. Then again, all I do is drive the truck, park it, get on the Zmaster and then back in the truck. I guess I could wear sandals if I wanted to. In the even I do have to make up for lost time by trimming and stuff, I wear boots........except for 100+ Degree days, thats just too rough.

dfor
09-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Imagine if part of the bottle shot up towards his face. It can happen to any of us. Good going on helping him out.

lawnmaniac883
09-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Did his trimmer have a guard on it?

topsites
09-15-2006, 09:11 PM
You may have saved his life. If no one saw him he could have bled to death from his foot. Very good Job being alert to stuff going on around you.

You receive the "GREEN THUMB" metal of honor....:clapping: :clapping:

No doubt but some Lco's ought to have more sense than that too, nevermind the boots, if you get hurt (sooner or later you will) to a point like that then you need to somehow get to your truck and get your cellular and dial 911, you need to have that much in you, not to mention a 1st aid kit might've fixed it all but yes bottles and weedeaters don't mix, I know this myself.

Still, in 5 years of wearing tennis shoes I have never had a problem like this, for one I realize my feet are highly susceptible to damage so I really watch what I'm doing, it's just second nature to me... The other thing I watch a lot is Lco's always weed-eating WOT regardless of condition, this is something else I don't do, I weedeat with just the throttle needed to cut through the stuff and no more, you learn this after snapping yourself in the leg a few times with the string and catching a few pebbles with your teeth (good times lol)...

Glad to see things are ok thou.

GLC51
09-28-2006, 01:43 AM
Steel toe work boots, hearing protection, and safety glasses all the time every time.