PDA

View Full Version : Just Tired of Home owners...Anyone Anyone?

SouthernYankee
09-15-2006, 08:43 PM
I am sick of homeowners, all they do is complain and never compliment. I do solid work, sure every now and then I screw up (I am human) but the vast majority of homeowners that I work for are like dealing with that nasty neighbor next door, or that teacher whos class you hated going to.

Its gotten to the point where I dread dealing with these people , I told a lady who lives in a 600,000 house that it would a whopping $30 a week to cut her lawn, she took my card and never called, I guess she hired some guy with a push mower for $18/full service.

Anyways I have a few decent ones, but as a whole they nothijng but a pain .

Anyone else sick of this? I guess it wouldnt be as bad if I were a solo op.

LB1234
09-15-2006, 08:59 PM
your business, get rid of them if they are that much a PITA

topsites
09-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Oh I think you just gotta charge the right price then that problem fairly disappears, like that lady probably should've been quoted at least $40 / cut see that $30 / week stuff don't fly, people are smart enough to realize that $30 x 52 = $1,560.00 and that's what they're thinking when you say that...

It would be like your auto mechanic telling you it's going to cost $20 / month to change your oil and filter (see the problem?). Now what if you don't put but 1,000 miles on your car in a month and it only needs servicing every 90 days, evidently the customer who would be attracted to this deal would be the guy driving in excess of a thousand miles / week, he'd love that mechanic... And since he's already getting such a great deal, hey how about changing my spark plugs for free while you're at it, oh the transmission could use a fluid and filter change as well, it never ends once it goes down this road they all want to have their way with you (good times lol)...

So you're trying to be cheap and first they don't see it, then those who do figure it out, well since you're already giving them something for nothing they see no harm in trying to get more, so you gotta raise your rates to where you're getting paid what it is worth and then charge by how many times you actually service the lot brotha :)

richallseasons
09-15-2006, 09:05 PM
maybe its just your attitude ( and I don't mean that in a you have an attitude problem kinda way ) for instance you told that lady it would be a whopping $30.00 to cut her lawn- I cant obviously hear the tone of your statement but to read it is kind of offensive like you implied she has a lot of money and is cheap, which maybe true or not.

barnard
09-15-2006, 09:07 PM
No! I'm not sick of homeowners. Thats all I work for.

Roger
09-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Remember this, you chose to be a business owner, then chose to develop a business around services, then chose lawn services as your offering, then you chose to offer lawn services to residential customers (most likely from your thread).

If you do not wish to be a business owner, do not wish to offer services from your company, do not wish to offer lawn services, do not wish to have residential homeowners as your customers, then you need to reevaluate what you want to do.

I am often amazed at those who made the choices outlined above, and then are very upset about what happens. There are so many choices for other businesses, other choices for offerings from a business, other choices for target customers. If the current model is so upsetting and makes you that unhappy, then it is time to move on to some other choices, maybe starting at the top (being a business owner). If you dread dealing with people, then you have a major part of your answer about continuing in this line of work. Any small business owner must deal with people at some level. And, offering a service to residential homeowners MUST include interaction with the customer. Almost, by definition, offering a service means you wish to deal with people and thrive on it.

I am not objecting to your attitude, you have every right to feel as you do. But, such an attitude will clearly show through in your business, and it will be a detriment to ongoing business and/or growth.