PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Phazer. Junk or not?

brucec32
09-15-2006, 08:46 PM
I have been trying to get feedback on this mower, but there have only been a few reports, mostly from users who don't have many hours on the machines, or who may not have much experience with commercial machines, period, and may not know what they're missing. Another comment indicated a criticism that I personally can live with, but there's just not much out there about it.

I have heard vague comments implying they're somehow not working well for users, but in most cases they seem to have come from dealers selling competitor's machines.

The deep discounting reported on the 44" phazer ($3999) does imply slow sales. But could that just be that most folks want more machine? I could use one for gates and delicate turf situations, and the price is sure right, but nobody wants a dog mower. That's more expensive in the long run.

I'm just wary of spending money on a mower that won't do the job or worse, won't be saleable if I don't like it.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Bruce, I too was wondering the same thing about the phazer as I wanted to scale down to one smaller z. I have seen several for sell on other sites with relatively low hours which made me wonder about them. Maybe some folks with more hours of use will come forth and enlighten us. The 3999 is a good price when considering that a low end residentual ztr is around 2800 to 3000.

brucec32
09-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Yep, with a 19hp kawi and the same deck off the Lazer HP 44's, for $2,000 less, it looks like a good value....IF it works.

I'm fine with the shortcomings of less stability on hills and a rougher ride due to the narrow wheelbase and smaller tires and lighter weight, but I have a 2nd ZTR available for those situations. I mostly need something for lawns where 660 lbs beats 900 lbs for turf damage and as a backup to the main machine. I also like the ability to have a 44" deck that fits through a few more gates, yet due to the narrow frame it still has a good trim edge. I realize that for many who need a high production machine, this wouldn't make sense at all. I'm just wondering if the complaints are from those type of users or it really has reliability or other serious issues.

MTR
09-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Have not seen a single one of that Phazer cutting in action since the beginning of this season! All I see is Gravely 34z, a lot of them, and 36 "Stander doing gated lawns. I don't know why you still ask and inquire about eXmark products, they are not selling like they used to anymore. There are plenty of better mowers with less price tag to look around, honestly. I care more about my wallet than about products that don't sell.

lawnarchy
06-06-2009, 11:41 AM
This is my first season in business. I bought a 34" Phazer, second hand. It's treating me great. But, I've got no real frame of reference as to what a commercial machine should be.

david shumaker
06-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I almost bought a 44" Phazer. The price 2 years ago was $4999.00 + tax. I ended up getting a 40" Toro that gets through all the gates I have except 1 small back yard. My Toro cuts good and is good for yards with alot of things to go around and between. I only have 2 yards that are large enough for a big mower. The toro was $5000.00. $3999. is a good price for the Exmark. Toro and Exmark are made by the same company, so the mowers may be similar.

Scagguy
06-06-2009, 09:20 PM
I have a 34" Phazer that was purchased new last year. As of yesterday it had just over 400 hours and never had a problem.

Turfman999
06-10-2009, 12:22 PM
If the 44" model is what you are considering, I would move up to the Lazer HP. I own a 600 hr. Phazer 34" and it serves it's purpose well to get through a 36" gate. Quality and functionally, it does not stack-up to the other Exmarks. If gates are not an issue, then don't get the Phazer!