PDA

View Full Version : walkers

zim bob the landscaper
09-15-2006, 11:09 PM
they look nice seem to satisfy everybody that has one. i want to know are they really worth the money? $10,000+ for one of the commercial ones. i was looking at it today and want to get info from on them by u guys.

thanks

green acres lawns
09-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Check the walker web site. www.walker mowers.com I think. Click on some of the Walker Talk magazine articles, to see what Walker owners think.

MJB
09-15-2006, 11:34 PM
they look nice seem to satisfy everybody that has one. i want to know are they really worth the money? $10,000+ for one of the commercial ones. i was looking at it today and want to get info from on them by u guys.

thanks

They are hard to beat if you are bagging small to madium size yards, under 15,000 sq ft. If you are bagging larger properties you might want a larger machine like a JD or GHopper that bags at 61" cut. Otherwise get a larger Z . DEMO first. I know where you can get a Walker in excellent shape for $5000 that has a lot of extras and only 400 hrs. My father retired and has it for sale.

ALL-PRO LANDSCAPE CO.
09-16-2006, 08:30 AM
I am also interested in a walker for the spring. I am currently cutting approx 40 lawns per week and hope to be at 60 by the middle/end of next season. Next year would be my second year in the business and I was wondering if anybody would help me or tip me on what they think I should do. I am shooting for a 48" Walker GHS Diesel Thanks guys.

Ron's Lawncare
09-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I am also interested in a walker for the spring. I am currently cutting approx 40 lawns per week and hope to be at 60 by the middle/end of next season. Next year would be my second year in the business and I was wondering if anybody would help me or tip me on what they think I should do. I am shooting for a 48" Walker GHS Diesel Thanks guys.

in my opinion the diesel is a waist of money. you will never make up the difference in fuel savings. the new efi engines are very fuel efficient. the gas engine should last 2000 hrs before needing major work. i have never bogged the engine on my 20 hp the deck will overload and clog before you run out of power.

Precision Lawns
09-16-2006, 11:16 AM
I loved my Walker GHS (till I got rid for under utilization). Great bagging, not great on hills, and I mow alot of hills. Mine was a diesel, Loved the power and the purr. If I were to get another I'd definatley get diesel. DEMO FIRST. Make sure it will run on all you lawns. Second, make sure you have a plan to haul away and deal with clippings.

MJB
09-16-2006, 11:26 AM

If you are bagging with walk behinds etc it will double your productivity. I started with just a Walker 16 hp Kohler and 42" deck in 91. I am still running this mower 4 hrs per week. I would get at least a 20 hp for the heavy stuff.
Keep in mind on a Walker dirt is a big factor in engine wear and life expectancy. 2000 hrs is good on an air cooled engine, the diesel would last longer but how much in that enviroment ?? You can change an air cooled out for $1500 in a few hrs or less.

john_incircuit
09-16-2006, 11:28 AM
We extensively demoed a Walker recently, it is certainly a great machine. Our primary concern is what to do with the clippings afterwards. Right now, in spring and summer, we mulch 90% of the time, plan only to collect clippings with the Walker during leaf season.

$10k is just a lot of money sitting idle for half the year. Does anyone have experience with the Walker mulching deck? Heard that a new one is available. How does it compare for example to the mulching capabilities of the new Honda commercial 21 walk behind?

John

MJB
09-16-2006, 11:47 AM
We extensively demoed a Walker recently, it is certainly a great machine. Our primary concern is what to do with the clippings afterwards. Right now, in spring and summer, we mulch 90% of the time, plan only to collect clippings with the Walker during leaf season.

$10k is just a lot of money sitting idle for half the year. Does anyone have experience with the Walker mulching deck? Heard that a new one is available. How does it compare for example to the mulching capabilities of the new Honda commercial 21 walk behind?

John

I have the old mulching deck on my Walker and it works in light conditions because it is not a deep deck. So it will load up easily and you have to double cut everything. I still use it for a few lawns each week that are not growing to much and it does fine. The new deck looks better but I could not tell how deep it is. We mulch everything with Exmark Hustler etc and have 5 to 6 inch deep decks. Make sure if you buy one to mulch the leaves with your mulching mowers then bag hte rest with the Walker.

zim bob the landscaper
09-16-2006, 11:49 AM
i will get this mower if i get a commercial for maintnace because we have to bag and has a sprickler system. also another commercial that im %80 sure we will get it. we have to put in a lawn and hire someone to put in sprickler system. also that has to be baged to. im also shooting for 20 to 30 new accounts. so i dont know which one i should get.

mojob
09-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Walker makes a deflector to attach to the back of the hopper. You leave the door to the hopper open and the clippings shoot out of the back. Works great on short, dry grass.

zim bob the landscaper
09-16-2006, 04:51 PM
also is it hard to lower the deck isnt it fixed?

walker/redmax
09-16-2006, 04:55 PM
I can't say enough good things about Walkers. Mine is my #1 work horse. The only time they arent great, is when you have to bag wet grass. With a side discharge deck, they will cut down anything, wet or dry.

ALL-PRO LANDSCAPE CO.
09-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Now that I have you guys opinion on walkers what do u prefer a walker or stander. Like i said i cut 40 lawns a week now but next year the number should be near 60. Some lawns are hilly but nothing that a walker couldnt handle. (worst case use the 32" w/b for those) So if I could have your opinion on walker/stander for my situation that would be great. Thank you.

lawnfire
09-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Love my Walker. Just traded my 2000 for an 06. Does a great job on Bermuda grass.

aceman71
09-17-2006, 01:11 PM
In my never to be humble opinion you can't be serious about the lawn business and not have one.

LawnMower
09-17-2006, 02:47 PM
ya but ZTRs bag good in the dry condtions and not good in wet conditions like the Walker. Why would you buy a Walker when a ZTR does just as good of a job? ZTRs are wider, faster, built and built more rugged?

It could be that I just don't know what I'm talking about. :hammerhead:

ALL-PRO LANDSCAPE CO.
09-17-2006, 04:31 PM
When you say ZTR what make and model machine are you talking about?

aceman71
09-17-2006, 07:52 PM
ya but ZTRs bag good in the dry condtions and not good in wet conditions like the Walker. Why would you buy a Walker when a ZTR does just as good of a job? ZTRs are wider, faster, built and built more rugged?

It could be that I just don't know what I'm talking about. :hammerhead:

I just know from experience on small to medium commercial and residential accounts I always bag for a cleaner look. When fall comes doing clean-ups and also when I trim shrubs I pick up the bulk of it with a rake then blow out the beds into the yard and get it cleaner then a whistle with the walker.

For me having a 60 inch ztr and a walker is the best combo I have yet to work with.

Echelon
09-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Our primary concern is what to do with the clippings afterwards. Right now, in spring and summer, we mulch 90% of the time, plan only to collect clippings with the Walker during leaf season.

John
sometimes when we were short a mower id use the ghs to just mow with and id just leave the back of the hopper open to "rear discharge"