PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Tecumseh motors?

topsites
09-15-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm looking to replace my '98 15hp Kohler Cv15t and I had wanted to order this motor for around $500 but the price recently jumped and I'm considering an alternate engine...

The engine goes on a 48" fixed deck Wb, I've always enjoyed the 15hp Kohlers but the '98 has noticeably less compression than a true 15hp, I am probably getting 12-13 horses out of it, it is frustrating...

Specifically, I am looking at the Tecumseh Enduro (http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=OHV160-204226&desc=Tecumseh+Engine+16+HP+Vertical+1+x3+5+32+Shaft+OHV+Recoil+Start+Cast+Iron+Sleeve+Oil+Filter+Muf fler) 16hp engine, where for right under 400 dollars it looks like I would be set.

The question I have is, does anyone have any experience with these engines, and how do they hold up versus say a Briggs, a Kohler, and a Kawi? (To me, the briggs has the least power, the Kohler is mid-range and the kawi is the baddie, is why I say)...

Scotts' Yard Care
09-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Topsites, I'd be a little worried about the 1 year warranty. Tecumsehs are kinda quirky engines in my experience but I haven't run any of the real late model bigger blocks.

mowingmachine
09-16-2006, 12:35 AM
I will second the "quirky" comment. They can have some carburation issues and excessive vibration but other than that they do hold up decent. The Enduro series does produce decent torque and they are pressure lubricated with oil filter. They are no where in the same class as Kohler or Kawi though. You will notice very quickly that you got what you paid for.

burns60
09-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Tecumseh, that's that "one eyed Indian" engine isn't it? They don't have a good reputation down South. "Quirky" is a good way to put it Scott.

Tuning and keeping it tuned is the problem a friend of mine has had.

deereman
09-16-2006, 01:07 AM
I too had a motor of that make years ago and it was fine when it was new , but after a few years of (homeowner) use we had a lot of probs with it! But that was about 12- 15 years ago to! But I dont know of any body that runs them either! That should tell you something right there.

MOW ED
09-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Run from Tecumseh. Terrible company support and the motors are throw aways. I had a Sno King 8hp with 8 hours on it and it blew. No company support at all. It actually wasn't even used commercially because I don't do snow removal. It was my own home model and just a couple months past warranty. I found out at Expo that their line had production problems and the Bull Sitter of a company guy gave me a smile, a card and a handshake. He can wipe my tail with all of them.
On another note that company is in financial difficulty and have been laying people off left and right. They are located just to the south of me. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Tecumseh.

YardPro
09-16-2006, 09:01 AM
they make awesome anchors

garth1967
09-16-2006, 09:07 AM
they make awesome anchors

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

here in oz they are regarded as a poor and cheap machine catering to the penny pinching home owner

newz7151
09-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Hey, if MTD has started using them on the majority of their mowers, they can't be too bad. :dizzy:

topsites
09-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the great feedback, I'll stay away from them.

Oddly enough they do make great transmissions :-)

6'7 330
09-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Dont run from a Tecumseh,

Gallop away from a Tecumseh, I wonder how Tecumseh's financial difficulties, will effect peerless trans-axles.

JTF40
09-16-2006, 11:42 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

here in oz they are regarded as a poor and cheap machine catering to the penny pinching home owner

For what it's worth, I am on my 19th year with my Tecumseh engine on my push mower (wedding present). :weightlifter: :usflag:

garth1967
09-16-2006, 07:03 PM
For what it's worth, I am on my 19th year with my Tecumseh engine on my push mower (wedding present). :weightlifter: :usflag:

theres one in every crowd isnt there:laugh: :waving:

John Gamba
09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Run from Tecumseh. Terrible company support and the motors are throw aways. I had a Sno King 8hp with 8 hours on it and it blew. No company support at all. It actually wasn't even used commercially because I don't do snow removal. It was my own home model and just a couple months past warranty. I found out at Expo that their line had production problems and the Bull Sitter of a company guy gave me a smile, a card and a handshake. He can wipe my tail with all of them.
On another note that company is in financial difficulty and have been laying people off left and right. They are located just to the south of me. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Tecumseh.

HERE HERE:laugh:

Travis Followell
09-16-2006, 08:15 PM
HERE HERE:laugh:
Hey John, this is a little off topic but how's your triton doing? I havn't been hearing much about them lately.

John Gamba
09-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Hey John, this is a little off topic but how's your triton doing? I havn't been hearing much about them lately.

I sent it back a while ago. My gravely 48" 5.4" deep deck has done fine. Thank you for asking. Oh BTW ask hustler how the XR7 is doing, or as tom--LOLOLOLOLOL.

johnscag
09-16-2006, 09:22 PM
I have a couple of there small engines on push mowers, and snow blowers, all older models. I bought a new generator and guess what it has? and it runs Like S*** !! brand new motor with the worst carb and Governor I have ever encountered.
Just my 2cents.

Ron's Lawncare
09-16-2006, 09:35 PM
the older snowblower engines were great (70's ariens machines) but all the lawnmower engines i've worked on are crappy and cheap.