PDA

View Full Version : What the heck???

Doug Z.
09-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Yesterday, I jumped on my John Deere 345, to mow this little bit of lawn that i didnt get mowed earlier, at my house, and it seemed there was a bad vibration. It was only 2 minutes worth of mowing, so I finished it. The lawn looked bad too!
I took it in the shop, and pulled the esck off. There was my problem, I BENT one of the blades-not a nick out of it, but bent. I must of hit a stone behind the shed, and, wearing head phones, never heard it.
Any body else done that??? I was suprised that I didnt nick it, or do worse damage t the mower to do that...

TURF DOCTOR
09-16-2006, 12:15 AM
nope never bent a blade.

ProLawns
09-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Wow, I can't imagine hitting something hard enough to bend a blade and not hearing it. I've bent two bades and both times it made and loud clunk.

Nosmo
09-16-2006, 09:46 PM
I've bent them on tree roots but the mower was a Murray
residential type. Noticed it right away by the looks of the
dipped down side of the mowing path. Who says a bent blade cannot be straightened ? I have and used it until
all three of them wore out.

Never bent a commercial blade though.

Nosmo

ed2hess
09-16-2006, 10:46 PM
It isn't hard to bend a blade...sometime the spindle bolts get bent at the same time better check that.

par69
09-16-2006, 10:50 PM
I hit someones river rock the other day with my JD 757. Nicked it up good but did not bend. The rock was the size of a softball.

Envy Lawn Service
09-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Some residential mower blades are not all that stiff/rigid.
Especially aftermarket blades for homeowner mowers.

I've bent several on lawn tractors.
But I knew it every time.
I'm stupid and never wear hearing protection.