PDA

View Full Version : Assisted reverse?

laxative
09-16-2006, 12:15 AM
I have a 36" John Deere gear-driven WB. Was the second commercial mower I ever bought, and I still use it quite a bit for overgrown yards and a couple with narrow gates.

Today I used it all day. No reverse. I guess it does go backwards on flat paved surfaces. Gear driven machines would be more worthwhile if they had a working reverse. Cheap riding mowers have reverse. What gives? Assisted reverse sucks.

Signature Landscaping1
09-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Its easier to just pull the machine backwards. Its not ment to back up 50ft.
It takes more time to shift into reverse.

brucec32
09-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Sometimes when a machine won't reverse it is because of a belt adjustment situation. It may run fine forward, but the tension isn't correct for reversing. I've had my reverse-assist mowers almost run me over when backing them off trailers. But it is just an assist, don't expect it to be very useful. I use it on lawns only rarely, like when I pull into a spot downhill and have to back out. On level lawns I just neutral out and manhandle it. faster than shifting.

PROCUT1
09-16-2006, 12:00 PM
The only machine that I ever had that had true reverse was an older exmark viking 48" walkbehind. That machine would back a 200lb guy on a sulky up a hill.

Fantasy Lawns
09-16-2006, 01:50 PM
My Hydro's all have reverse

Dunn's
09-16-2006, 05:26 PM
My Hydro's all have reverse
That is what I was thinking I have never used belt drive so I wouldn't know how they work. But the Hydros we use all have reverse. You just move the lever backwards and you are in reverse.

ed2hess
09-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Snapper tried to build a better reverse assist and ended up hurting the forward drive on their belt drives.

GrassMonkey
09-16-2006, 10:45 PM
I was running a Scag walkbehind and when the reverse (assisted reverse) stopped working the transmission soon followed. But, let me say that hydros are superior to belt drive. I recently switched to a JD 7H17 and love it. I am not bashing the Scag becuase it leaves a great cut.

BG

Idealtim
09-16-2006, 10:56 PM
You cannot compare a hydro to a belt. Not for which is better, but for the fact that they are two totally different operating systems. The way a belt is setup, it only gives the power in forward. In reverse, the belt does notbind the right way and you would have to put the idler pully on the bottom. but then, you would only have as much power as the current reverse. Basicly, you can't have it both ways. If you have to have reverse, go for the more expensive, bigger, heavier, hydro.