PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet Owners - Question

san28734
09-16-2006, 10:10 AM
So, I have about 19 hours on my Z-Force 44, and yesterday when mowing, started to get some shaking under the deck, nothing harsh or anything. About 20 minutes later, it was much worse, and I started to smell a belt, so I shut it off. I'm guessing that a spindle is freezing up, maybe.

As far as maintenance, at 12 hours I pulled the deck off, sharpened the blades, topped off the spindle grease, even though the manual says to do it at 25 hours.

Has anybody else experienced this? I don't have a trailer, and the dealer wants 50 bucks to come to my house and get it (I live 1.5 miles away round trip, don't get me started) According to the Cub warranty, they wont cover transportation costs to and from the dealer, so no matter what, I could be out 100 bucks.

Nosmo
09-16-2006, 10:35 AM
I think we are going to need to have more information other than sharpening the blades and greasing the spindles at 12 hours. The problem started 7 hours after you had put the deck back on.

Look under the deck and see if the blades are tight (and not bent). Is there any wobble in the spindles and pulleys ?

Check those items and let us know.

Nosmo

REALSLOW
09-16-2006, 10:46 AM
If you would have bought a Hustler you could drive the mower to the dealer at highway speed.

I don't even need a car anymore, I am going to see about getting a plate for my SuperZ.

san28734
09-16-2006, 11:01 AM
I think we are going to need to have more information other than sharpening the blades and greasing the spindles at 12 hours. The problem started 7 hours after you had put the deck back on.

Look under the deck and see if the blades are tight (and not bent). Is there any wobble in the spindles and pulleys ?

Check those items and let us know.

Nosmo
Checked them, they appear to be tight, no wobbles, blades are not visibly bent. I took the drive belt loose, and the blade spindles spin freely. One thing I noticed, the PTO clutch pulley assembly has some significant play in it, it rotates back and forth a quarter inch or so, and the pulley does not turn easily, is this because the PTO is not engaged, and brakes the belt/blades, or is this my problem?

san28734
09-16-2006, 11:04 AM
If you would have bought a Hustler you could drive the mower to the dealer at highway speed.

I don't even need a car anymore, I am going to see about getting a plate for my SuperZ.

Maybe instead of the 50 dollar delivery charge, I could spend a few bucks on one of those triangle farm implement signs, and just drive it up there anyway. Good idea.

Nosmo
09-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Quote: One thing I noticed, the PTO clutch pulley assembly has some significant play in it, it rotates back and forth a quarter inch or so, and the pulley does not turn easily, is this because the PTO is not engaged, and brakes the belt/blades, or is this my problem?

I wish I could give you the answer to this one about the PTO but I am not sure. Hopefully you will get a sensible reply about it.

Nosmo

eaglejrl
09-17-2006, 04:55 PM
i have a z force 44. i went through about 3 sets of spindles in under 180 hours. the deck is weak and has cracks at where the spindles are bolted on. i've had to have the deck welded on twice. your right, just about every time i loose a spindle, i've lost a belt. i've also had to replace an idler pulley. i've had all these problems even though i've kept the spindles greased. except for the middle one when i first got it. there was no grease fitting on it. to know if the spindle is your proble, take the belt completely off, then see if the spindle has any play in it. if you keep the mower, make sure you have the air filter on tight. my mower got a lot of blow by on it and before i noticed it, i had done blown a rod. with as much trouble as i've had on the mower, it's not worth fixing. i'm looking at getting an exmark.

milo
09-17-2006, 10:13 PM
i know whats wrong with it.... you bought a cub cadet, thats whats wrong. they are built to last as long as they are on the showroom floor and after that they are crap. i have owned the tanks and they are junk and should get out of trying to build a commercial mower. most of there mowers are not even good enough for just a home owner and the price for there parts... lol... :dancing:

eaglejrl
09-17-2006, 10:39 PM
milo said it all