PDA

View Full Version : My son wants to

ChadsLawn
09-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Mow yards like his daddy. I told him I dont want him to. I want him to learn computer programming or something to do with computers.
But I told him I will support what ever he wishes. Again he wants to mow yards. Well or be a sprint car driver.
hes almost 11 and mows my yard (21") when he comes over. Im sure he can get a few houses wround here to mow to make some play money.

My main question is, what age should I let him do this. Hes very smart and very safe.. This is kinda funny. But when he mows here, he wears jeans t-shirt his little work boots and wears my clear grinding full face shield. He tries to use the hand held blower, but its still alittle heavy for him..

Oh I pay him $5 per cut, ONLY if it looks decent. If not I show him what he missed and he will fix it.

WildWest
09-16-2006, 01:02 PM
I hear ya, I have a 9 year old son that wants to do the line trimming at our house, I let him but I walk with him.
I think I was about 12 when I started mowing our lawn, my grandmothers and a few mor here and there by myself. Keep an eye on him and if he's being safe, knows the rules and follows them, cut him a little slack.

If he's not behind the mower...it's OFF!!!

ChadsLawn
09-16-2006, 01:07 PM
The push mower we use, If you let go it shuts of. So not matter whatever hes does, he'll have to let it go. Im looking into a small trimmer, so he can learn that(around the house here)

zim bob the landscaper
09-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Oh I pay him $5 per cut, ONLY if it looks decent. If not I show him what he missed and he will fix it.
dude thats a little harsh $5 give him 10 so he can save up for somthing when i was that age i was mowing my grandmothers lawn and i got a gift. or somthin. like ice cream or somthing and somtimes i got $10. but i hope u dont take it the wrong way man. but then telling him where he missed. w/e i dont want to tell u how to give your kid money or somthin. you could always get him into masonry and try to get him in a trade school. but maybe he can just do it till he goes to colledge.

zim bob the landscaper
09-16-2006, 01:14 PM
The push mower we use, If you let go it shuts of. So not matter whatever hes does, he'll have to let it go. Im looking into a small trimmer, so he can learn that(around the house here)
get him a battery one which is made for older people i guess there really light to.

ChadsLawn
09-16-2006, 01:24 PM
dude thats a little harsh $5 give him 10 so he can save up for somthing when i was that age i was mowing my grandmothers lawn and i got a gift. or somthin. like ice cream or somthing and somtimes i got $10. but i hope u dont take it the wrong way man. but then telling him where he missed. w/e i dont want to tell u how to give your kid money or somthin. you could always get him into masonry and try to get him in a trade school. but maybe he can just do it till he goes to colledge.
Im being alittle harder on him, because Im hoping he changes his mind on a career in lawn mowing. But so far he's loving it.

zim bob the landscaper
09-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Im being alittle harder on him, because Im hoping he changes his mind on a career in lawn mowing. But so far he's loving it.
o i get u. so its backfired on you. :laugh:

ChadsLawn
09-16-2006, 01:37 PM
yeah so far it has. But when he goes to work with me, its not soo fun. I have him pulling weeds and he isnt liking that. As I try to explain to him thats involved in Lawn Maintenance.

ADVANCED LAWNCARE LLC.
09-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Is there a reason you don't want him to be in the Lawn Care Business. Is it the low pay? I dont know about your area, but around here you can make a very good living being in this industry, granted you must do many other things like landscaping, plowing, fert/squirt to stay competitive. If he really enjoys doing it, let him go to school for it and he will learn alot about the business, and will have already had a lot of the hands on part done.

ChadsLawn
09-16-2006, 02:37 PM
No I want my kids to have the best and be able to provide the best for there kids. I want them to have a good career and be able to retire. But if this is what he really wants to do in life, then Ill help all I can.

Hes always wanted to be a race car driver... Although pretty dangerous, he can make a ton more then lawn maintenance. Plus privide a great life for his kids. But Im wanting him to get into the computer world. Thats where the money is. I can program, I can build in depth websites, graphics. But everyone wants a dagree. Im not going to collage for something I already
know.
Computers will be the way of life 100% in the future. Thats what our kids need to be in.

But right now he is set on lawn maintenance. So I will teach him all I can while he is young.

Bethelboy
09-16-2006, 05:12 PM
I understand that you want the best for your son, but I also agree with others that if done correctly he can be in this business and still retire and provide for his family. I am currently majoring in business management at Appalachian State and my classes help me better run my business. At the same time since I do what I do I have already experienced a lot of the things that many in my class are trying to learn just through the books. I also started an IRA when I was 18 so that if I do stay in this industry for 30 years I will have something to look forward to. I'm not trying to tell you what to do at all, but in my case computers are not something that I really enjoy, lawn care is. If your son turns out to be the same way be proud that he is willing to work hard to make a living, and encourage him to make smart moves to help him in the future.

John Gamba
09-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Mow yards like his daddy. I told him I dont want him to. I want him to learn computer programming or something to do with computers.

LAWYER:hammerhead:

ChadsLawn
09-16-2006, 06:03 PM
LAWYER:hammerhead:

you gonna help me pay for that?:hammerhead:

Dunn's
09-16-2006, 06:14 PM
No I want my kids to have the best and be able to provide the best for there kids. I want them to have a good career and be able to retire. But if this is what he really wants to do in life, then Ill help all I can.

Hes always wanted to be a race car driver... Although pretty dangerous, he can make a ton more then lawn maintenance. Plus privide a great life for his kids. But Im wanting him to get into the computer world. Thats where the money is. I can program, I can build in depth websites, graphics. But everyone wants a dagree. Im not going to collage for something I already
know.
Computers will be the way of life 100% in the future. Thats what our kids need to be in.

But right now he is set on lawn maintenance. So I will teach him all I can while he is young.

Sorry Chad I just wanted to correct you a little the money is not in computers every year there are less and less computer programmers.Well unless you want your kid to move to India.But like I have said before even as a kid I new there was no future in computer programming. Because every time you fix a problem with them and teach them how to fix themselves that is just one day closer to when you will be out of a job. Any time you teach your job how to do itself, it will.Just my oppinion take it our leave it but just sit back and think about what you are teaching your child. You are teaching him do you know how many computer programmers out there are managers at mickey "D"s.

John Gamba
09-16-2006, 06:20 PM
you gonna help me pay for that?:hammerhead:

How about an accountant:) there are affordable colleges.

SCAG POWER
09-16-2006, 06:23 PM
This might be a good time too teach him the sales side of the business. Just like the other person said. You could have him pass out flyers during the day rite next to where you are cuting .Say 5 flyers around the house that you are doing. So too next door too across the street and one just down the street.

Then teach him how to use the computer to run the tax records for the houses that he passed out flyers for . Then mail a letter directly to that home owner.

Just A thought.payup payup

Dunn's
09-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Oh I forgot our country is no longer a product based economy it is a service based. Check into it you'll see. By the way you should never teach your kid they are better than other people because of there job. It will backfire on you and your child. They will have trouble finding work because they will think every job should pay them 20+ dollars an hour for doing nothing and having no skills.I know what I'm saying is kind of mena but the idea you have on this subject is why we as Americans have become so lazy and not willing to work. What you should try is the opposite let your kids try all types of work especially the hard labor intensive it will make them a better person.

nmez21
09-16-2006, 06:29 PM
How about an accountant:) there are affordable colleges.

Or you go go the route of apprenticeship...send him off to MMlawn's accountant for a 5-10 years (people I'd like to meet thread).:laugh: :usflag:

Vikings
09-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Don't be a computer programmer, I have it on good authority that it may be the world's MOST boring job.

HOOLIE
09-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Try NFL kicker....$1 million or more per year for the best and you only work like 90 seconds per week. Can't beat it :drinkup:

rocksrscott
09-16-2006, 07:57 PM
He's 11 let him mow a few yards let him earn a few bucks. Let him make his own choices. :walking:
If I did what my parents wanted I might have more money but would I be happy. :confused:
Do something you enjoy do it well and money will follow. :usflag:
If you can get him to go to go for a degree one in business would help in any field he would choose to follow. :cool2:
Remember he's 11 time changes everything. :hammerhead:

John Gamba
09-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Do something you enjoy do it well and money will follow. :usflag:
:

Not so true:nono:

WJW Lawn
09-16-2006, 08:01 PM
My Dad use to say.."son don't get into the construction business" Now he owns 3 branches of a construction business that he built from nothing, making dump truck loads of money. Meanwhile...I took a desk job making CRAP money and taking alot of crap...living pay check to pay check. So I left it and started my own business, and live pretty well only 2 years in full - time. Sooooooo...if my son asked me...I'd say do what you can be passionate about and work your butt off...if that happens to be mowing... go for it.

Ideal Lwns & Landscp
09-17-2006, 01:32 AM
get him a go kart and let him be a race car driver now..It will be a blast and he will want to work on it instead of cutting the grass.

LindblomRJ
09-17-2006, 02:50 AM
If he wants to mow lawns let him mow lawns. It will be his life, his choices, he should be the one making the decision. He is 11, career fields will change several times.

I think I started using a mower about the same age.

Might want to wait on having him tear up and down the neighborhood. At his age I was mowing around house. I had chores to do when I came home from school, feeding the horses, hay to the livestock we were fattening up for dinner. Feeding the bum calves.

If he is taking a interest in something let him expirense it.

Splicer
09-17-2006, 02:51 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock into what an 11 year old says he wants to do for a career...He doesn't fully comprehend what a career is yet...And 11 years old is fine to be cutting...I was cutting at 8 years old: