PDA

View Full Version : Electric vs. Hydraulic brakes on trailer...

mkwl
09-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Does any company make open tandem landscape trailers with hydraulic brakes insted of electric brakes? Also, how much does it cost to outfit a truck to tow a trailer with electric brakes?

Thanks,
Matt

TURF DOCTOR
09-16-2006, 10:21 PM
The Cost Will Be High For Electric.

lawnmaniac883
09-16-2006, 10:41 PM
The Cost Will Be High For Electric.

Not really, just run a wiring harness from the dash to the hitch of your truck and buy a controller. The Tekonsha Prodigy has had good reviews and is just a little under 100$ IIRC.

Hydraulic brakes are not that good IMO, mainly used where corrosion is an issue i.e. boats trailers.

General Landscaping
09-16-2006, 10:41 PM
You can add a hydraulic brake kit, make sure you get the reverse lockout kit too.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Not really, just run a wiring harness from the dash to the hitch of your truck and buy a controller. The Tekonsha Prodigy has had good reviews and is just a little under 100$ IIRC.

Hydraulic brakes are not that good IMO, mainly used where corrosion is an issue i.e. boats trailers.

I agree with this. Couple of rolls of wire, $10 max, Seven Pin Wiring HArness for truck $25, and Brake Controller $75 and up. The $75 to $100 are just as good as the others. So for $100 you can use electric brakes on the truck. Like has been said, must trailers that come with brakes have electric unless they are boat trailers. There may be some other exceptions, but boats are the most common for Hydrolic (Surge) brakes.

ChadsLawn
09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Ive never seen 1 with hydro breaks. Either air or electric