PDA

View Full Version : Stihl blowers

TheLawnBarber
09-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Alright, I've come to a conclusion on a new backpack blower. I've been imprest with the 4-mix trimmers. Those of you that have a Br-550 do you like it? Does it have enough power for tough jobs? Also do you wish you purchased the 600? My dealer has a 550 for $399.95 or, Should I order a 600 for $469.95. Thanks.

GrassMonkey
09-16-2006, 11:38 PM
I recently had a Stihl BR420 and 380 Magnum stolen along with my two 85R's and took the opportunity to change over to the 4Mix products. I chose the BR550 and the FS100RX. So far, so good. Although, there is a difference between the 420 and the 550 it is not significant. So I ended up with a similar blower but I am ok with that becasue the 420 was fairly strong. I have yet to encounter in big leaf jobs to evaluate its performance but I have no worries that it will be fine. The sound takes some getting used to but my crew and I really love the lower noise level.

BG

6'7 330
09-16-2006, 11:43 PM
I most defiantly would pay the 70$ difference, and purchase the BR600.The CFM numbers tell the story as to why I would pay the difference. The BR600 is an excellent blower, and pretty fuel efficient.

BR550-530 CFM

BR600-714 CFM

TheLawnBarber
09-16-2006, 11:56 PM
thanks for the replys everybody. Keep them comming.

Dashunde
09-17-2006, 12:49 AM
I've got a BR600 and a BG85 and both are fantastic.
The BR is super strong and light to carry.
Definitely worth the extra $

(I really dont understand why the 550 even exists, its basically the same blower, but lower cfm... go figure.)

Just Mow
09-17-2006, 02:17 PM
thanks for the replys everybody. Keep them comming.
The power difference of the 600 is well worth it , also the lighter weight is noticeable. Power to do everything that you need it to do.:weightlifter:

Lazer_Z
09-17-2006, 02:44 PM
The power difference of the 600 is well worth it , also the lighter weight is noticeable. Power to do everything that you need it to do.:weightlifter: I agree 100% I love my BR600.

Rob

Fubba
09-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Go with the 600. :weightlifter:

mowerman90
09-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Before I bought my BR600 my dealer let me demo a BR550 for about a week. The difference is like night and day........GET the 600!!!

TheLawnBarber
09-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys I'm going to roll up at my Stihl dealer and order the 600 Monday!!!

Just Mow
09-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys I'm going to roll up at my Stihl dealer and order the 600 Monday!!!
Congratulations:clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing:

ed2hess
09-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Congratulations:clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing:
I wouldn't take a chance on the 4 mix unless I absolutely needed the bigger unit than the BR420. The BR420 has been around and is a proven unit.

Just Mow
09-17-2006, 11:39 PM
I wouldn't take a chance on the 4 mix unless I absolutely needed the bigger unit than the BR420. The BR420 has been around and is a proven unit.
I know the 420 is a proven unit. The 4-mix has been building up a good reputation for having power, easy starting, and being reliable. I continue to
wait for it to fail like everyone expects but ti seems to get stronger. I used a demo before I bought and I don't regret my decision. If you ever want to try one I can have the rep get with you.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-18-2006, 12:52 AM
I bought a 550 the day the dealers here got their first ones in. Haven't had to do a single thing to it at all but put gas in it. Works great and plenty powerful. I also have a 420 I keep as a spare and the 550 seems to have WAY WAY WAY more power than the 420.

I just bought a 600 a few days ago, and have the 550 on consignment at my local lawnmower shop. I wanted the extra CFM's..... It does really have alot more power than even the 550.

For you guys still running 420's.... You are really missing the boat here. These 4mix units are working, and running a four stroke with 2 cycle gas oil mix is nothing new, for over 20 years there have been model airplane engines just like the stihl engine these four stroke engines are top of the line in model aviation.

also the more power your blower has the quicker you can blow off a driveway or a lawn of leaves. You wouldn't believe the difference between a 2 stroke 420 and a four stroke 600 till you tried it and once you did try it you would want the 600, I would put money on it!

Richard Martin
09-18-2006, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't take a chance on the 4 mix unless I absolutely needed the bigger unit than the BR420.

Ed, the 4 Mix blowers have been out for over a year now and none of the catastrophic failures everyone predicted has occurred yet. I think it's safe to say the 4 Mix is reliable and here to stay.

WJW Lawn
09-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Ive been thinking about many new blowers....but you guys seem to love the Stihl brand blowers. I may have to consider one!!

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Stihl makes the best blowers and chainsaws period

Robin makes the best hedge trimmers period

String trimmers.... I used to say Echo was tops, but in all fairness I think just about all brands are as good as the other.

Certain brands do perform better than others. Go look at stihl blowers and compare to all the others, the stihl's are lighter, much more simple, cleaner looking, and more comfortable to wear on your back.

Lazer_Z
09-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Ed, the 4 Mix blowers have been out for over a year now and none of the catastrophic failures everyone predicted has occurred yet. I think it's safe to say the 4 Mix is reliable and here to stay.
I'll second Mr.Martin's statement.

Rob

Total.Lawn.Care
09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
I most defiantly would pay the 70$ difference, and purchase the BR600.The CFM numbers tell the story as to why I would pay the difference. The BR600 is an excellent blower, and pretty fuel efficient.

BR550-530 CFM

BR600-714 CFM

The numbers told the difference for me. I asked the dealer what the best deal on the blowers was at the time. I got the same answer, the BR-550 on sale at $399. I saw the BR600 right below it for only $70 more and looked at the numbers. For a blower that will last several years, the extra $70 turned into pennies on the dollar when considering a Business Investment. I went with the BR600 and have not regretted it. It is a tamed tornado in my opion and I love it.

Congrats on getting the 600, you will be glad you did.

BTW, all of my hand tools are Stihl 4-Mix and i have had no problems from them and they all start usually in 2 pulls, max. Love them...

noseha
09-18-2006, 06:41 PM
always buy THE BIGGIST!!!!!!!!!

ed2hess
09-18-2006, 08:05 PM
I am an old mechanical test engineer and I can't get past those little valves but maybe they will be okay. I also didn't like the fact that they had that static wire in the tubes and that kept you from removing the end tube when getting into tight places. We were going to buy a BR420 and one 4-mix but backed out at the last minute. Maybe next year if all goes good....I like the 20# weight that is absolutely the limit for us, no more back breaker like our Echo PB650.

Just Mow
09-18-2006, 11:09 PM
I am an old mechanical test engineer and I can't get past those little valves but maybe they will be okay. I also didn't like the fact that they had that static wire in the tubes and that kept you from removing the end tube when getting into tight places. We were going to buy a BR420 and one 4-mix but backed out at the last minute. Maybe next year if all goes good....I like the 20# weight that is absolutely the limit for us, no more back breaker like our Echo PB650.
Ed, the new production blowers will not have the static wire. It will be grounded in the trigger mechanism. Also the tube will be adjustable.
Offers still open if you want to try one.

Just Mow
09-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Stihl makes the best blowers and chainsaws period

Robin makes the best hedge trimmers period

String trimmers.... I used to say Echo was tops, but in all fairness I think just about all brands are as good as the other.

Certain brands do perform better than others. Go look at stihl blowers and compare to all the others, the stihl's are lighter, much more simple, cleaner looking, and more comfortable to wear on your back.

Hey you ought to give the Stihl HS81T hedge trimmer a try.
Very fast and smooth with no vibration and a rotating handle.

kmann
09-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Hey you ought to give the Stihl HS81T hedge trimmer a try.
Very fast and smooth with no vibration and a rotating handle.
I recently purchased that Hedge Trimmer and it's about as smooth as it can be so if the Robin is better it must be a great trimmer.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-19-2006, 12:42 AM
The robins have a good cut, so does the kawasakis. I have not tried the stihls though so can't honestly say. Hedge trimmers last me a long time since I only use them a few hours a year. My last set still runs fine and they are 12 years old.

As for blowers, I have yet to use a backpack blower that was no good. They all blow air and get the job done, it is just that some are more powerful, and or lighter than others. The more CFM's your blower has the quicker you will get done with the job. This is the main reason to buy a 550 or 600 over a 420 or some of the other brand blowers.

The tube is hard to take off the four stroke blowers. I never even try anymore as it is simply too hard. Good thing about it is the tube has never just come off as it did with the 420 and some of the other blowers I used to use.

The static line came loose in the 550 I had so I took the blower apart - easy to do and only took maybe 15 minutes - and took the static line completely out. I only got shocked maybe once or twice since then, and only when blowing extremely dusty areas. My new 600 has the static line in it, when it comes loose - if it ever does - I will just take it apart and remove the line, it is not a problem to do this.

I don't worry about the valves and such. Like I said they have used engines exactly like the 4 mix's engine on model airplanes for a long long time, and they turn much higher RPMs without problems. Look at modern motorcycles, they rev to 15 to 16 thousand rpms before hitting the rev limiter. I don't know what the blowers redline is, but I doubt it can rev much higher than 8000 rpms. This is not very high for a modern engine.

There are blowers just as powerful as the Stihl 600 out there, but most like the redmax have alot of stuff on the engine hanging out in the open, such as the airfilter and intake hose and so on. This is stuff to snag on a tree limb or whatever as your using the unit. The stihl is completely enclosed and it very strong abuse wise.