PDA

View Full Version : whats the best walk behind

Brian B
09-16-2006, 11:52 PM
ok. so i did a search and didnt find anything. so what do you all think is the best walk behind? im looking for a 48" deck and a hydro

Idealtim
09-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Exmark viking or the bigger turf tracer if money is not an issue.

101numlock
09-17-2006, 12:01 AM
have used toro tbar belt and hydro drives for years, no problems, excellent cut and parts are usually in stock at my local dealers. just my two cents.

Brian B
09-17-2006, 12:10 AM
how much does a new turf tracer hp cost?

Raven386
09-17-2006, 12:21 AM
IMO - Lesco makes the best w/b.

Dashunde
09-17-2006, 12:59 AM
I'd vote for the Ferris Hydro DD.
Large, solid, low-pressure hydro is silky smooth, unsurpassed stability on hills, great cut, nice natural stripe from the ones I've seen.

But you cant go wrong with a Gravely 1748H or the larger frame Exmarks either.
Make sure whatever you buy has the larger/wider tires and can properly pull a sulky.

fiveoboy01
09-17-2006, 01:07 AM
I'd vote for the Ferris Hydro DD.
Large, solid, low-pressure hydro is silky smooth, unsurpassed stability on hills, great cut, nice natural stripe from the ones I've seen.

Are you talking about the newer Hydrowalk DD with the floating deck, or the fixed deck Hydrowalk?

Just wondering, because I wanted to originally buy the HW DD with the floating deck. That turned into a mess, because it wasn't available at the time(june of this year) and every dealer thought I wanted the fixed-deck Hydrowalk.

I don't even know if the full floating deck Hydrowalks are out yet. I had called Ferris, and they told me that it was pushed forwards to September for a release date.

Otherwise, I have a 48" Turf Tracer HP with the 19HP Kawi, and I think it's a great mower.

jameson
09-17-2006, 01:54 AM
how much does a new turf tracer hp cost?

I was quoted between $5555.00 - $5600.00 on a 48" 19 KAW TTHP - check with your local dealers for prices in your area.

TriCountyLawn
09-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Theres only 2 WB's i can recomend.

Hustler. -- Awsome! need not to say more
Toro - T-Bar is proved and is great

Exmarks cut is great but there ESC controls are the worst in the industry.

ALarsh
09-17-2006, 02:20 AM
TTHP is good. Get one slightly used and you can nock tons off the price (value drops like a rock as soon as you drive away from the dealer).

BMFD92
09-17-2006, 02:26 AM
Scag SWZ imo

fiveoboy01
09-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Theres only 2 WB's i can recomend.

Hustler. -- Awsome! need not to say more
Toro - T-Bar is proved and is great

Exmarks cut is great but there ESC controls are the worst in the industry.

Huh?

I haven't used the H-Bar or the T-Bar. I'm sure both work well.

I'll take the ECS(mabye you should learn to spell it correctly) controls over traditional pistol grips any day...

noseha
09-17-2006, 07:22 AM
:cool: buy a gravely #1 under $3,000.00 48'' belt drive is all you will need to start don't waste your money buying too much ! why buy a hydro alot of money for something you still walk behind

Phoenix
09-17-2006, 07:38 AM
Hydro-WB

1.Scags, 2.Scags and then there is 3.Scags :)

rodfather
09-17-2006, 07:55 AM
We have run Ferris Dual Drive fixed decks (52 and 61 inch) for 13 years now...very reliable machines IMO.

Dashunde
09-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Are you talking about the newer Hydrowalk DD with the floating deck, or the fixed deck Hydrowalk?

Otherwise, I have a 48" Turf Tracer HP with the 19HP Kawi, and I think it's a great mower.

I'm talking about the fixed deck Ferris.
They have a huge and strong following in St. Louis county, a very hilly and complex mowing environment with high-end customers.

I've owned both, a fixed and floating 48" Gravely, and honestly I just dont see the point of a floating 48" deck on a wb. It might be nice for height adjustments, but Gravely's J-pin setup on the fixed deck is just as fast, or faster.
As for scalping and corner gouging, the operator is the biggest factor, not the deck type.

Shady Brook
09-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Jameson

"The Americans hold that in every state the supreme power ought to emanate from the people...(but) Above this race of men stands an immense and tutelary power...That power is absolute, minute and regular...it seeks, on the contrary to keep them in perpetual childhood: it is well content that the people should rejoice, provided they think nothing but rejoicing." Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America 1831

I don't know what is the best walkbehind, but I know a great quote when I see one!

Lovingreen
09-17-2006, 12:52 PM
That is truly a owner preference question, it really depends on the turf you are maintaining and what features you like the best. I have run both Exmark and Scag walk behinds and Exmark rules the quality of cut and scag rules the built like a tank category. Bottom line is run both and dont put too much weight on price as a good machine will pay for itself over and over and over again, but if you try to save a little up front, you will likely spend more in the long run on efficiency and spending more to upgrade to the machine you originally wanted to begin with.

Brian B
09-17-2006, 01:29 PM
That is truly a owner preference question, it really depends on the turf you are maintaining and what features you like the best. I have run both Exmark and Scag walk behinds and Exmark rules the quality of cut and scag rules the built like a tank category. Bottom line is run both and dont put too much weight on price as a good machine will pay for itself over and over and over again, but if you try to save a little up front, you will likely spend more in the long run on efficiency and spending more to upgrade to the machine you originally wanted to begin with.

thats what i was thinking and i was like well i dont want to buy a POS and have to just trash it and keep putting tons of money into it and eventually buy a new mower the next year.

JKOOPERS
09-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Exmark Turf Tracer 60" with a velky .

J&R Landscaping
09-17-2006, 05:55 PM
If your looking for a hydro wb, the turf tracer hp is hard to beat IMO

TriCountyLawn
09-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Huh?

I haven't used the H-Bar or the T-Bar. I'm sure both work well.

I'll take the ECS(mabye you should learn to spell it correctly) controls over traditional pistol grips any day...

ECS ..sorry my mistake Exmark spelling nazi...:rolleyes:

parttimer
09-17-2006, 10:27 PM
I feel I must agree with Loving Green I have been running lesco wb and have had no problems with the machines and just bought a new 48 hydro , But there are better machines out there and I just ran one so now I wish I wish Iwish I had bought the Exmark .They are just that much better .Cut and Speed they Rock now ever time I see one I know why they payed a little bit more,There are worth it.JMO:cry: :cry:

parttimer
09-17-2006, 10:35 PM
I have ran lesco for 4 years now and just bought my 3rd a 48hydro ,but i have to agree with lovingitgreen there are better machines out there i just ran one the other day,Exmark tthp52 it is by far my pick now hands down it just out proforms ,now ever time i see one i know why they spent the extra it is worth it.The 3500.00 lesco is hard to beat but it can be done for about 2000.00 dallors and i was to cheap.

04TurfT
09-17-2006, 11:14 PM
fiveoboy said it best... hands down a badass control system.. the ecs is awesome

clydesdale
09-18-2006, 12:58 AM
For starters, are you sure you only want a 48? I have run a 52 and a 60. The 60 is perfect. I do 1/2 acre lots. It is awesome. Get the biggest deck you can fit on your lawns. My exmark 60 TT is awesome and I got it used for 2600.

Brian B
09-18-2006, 01:04 AM
i have actually thought of getting a 52" or something a little bigger. if i find one for a good price i will probably buy it.