PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FC110. Convince me to get one.

fiveoboy01
09-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Currently, I use an Echo PE-200 stick edger.

It works fine for maintaining edges, or cutting edges with slight overgrowth.

Any kind of significant overgrowth, forget about it. It flat out sucks. I have to make 2 passes or more to get a clean cut where I can peel the sod off the sidewalk. It will bog down and the blade will stop just from dirt that has accumulated in the guard. I have to get something with more power.

Is the FC110 really that much more powerful? I hear everyone on here raving about how it cuts through anything.

I have had to rent a Brown Trenchers Edgemaster a few times for some nasty overgrowth. With the 5.5HP Honda engine, it has ripped through anything and everything like butter.

The thing is, this is a 1200 buck edger. I don't even know what the going price for the FC110 is.

Do I go with the FC110 or splurge on the Edgemaster?

noseha
09-17-2006, 06:44 AM
i still use fs-85 w/ gear box off a edger and still have more power then i need alot of time. i own a 110rx and can't want for this one to go out so i can buy a new 110

Lazer_Z
09-17-2006, 08:58 AM

Any kind of significant overgrowth, forget about it. It flat out sucks. I have to make 2 passes or more to get a clean cut where I can peel the sod off the sidewalk. It will bog down and the blade will stop just from dirt that has accumulated in the guard. I have to get something with more power.

Is the FC110 really that much more powerful? I hear everyone on here raving about how it cuts through anything.

I have had to rent a Brown Trenchers Edge master a few times for some nasty overgrowth. With the 5.5HP Honda engine, it has ripped through anything and everything like butter.

The thing is, this is a 1200 buck edger. I don't even know what the going price for the FC110 is.

Do I go with the FC110 or splurge on the Edge master?
What are you edging exactly? Are you edging along sidewalks or bed edges?

If your edging sidewalks nothing beats an FC110. That PE-200 is a toy compared to the Stihl, Echo PE-200 21.2CC VS the FC110 at 31.4 also the Stihl holds more fuel than the Echo. PE-200 15.2oz, Stihl FC110 18oz. Don't forget that if you go with the Stihl your not losing power due to the off set head. Another Plus for the FC110 is you can buy different attachments for it. I hope this has helped you some.

Rob

6'7 330
09-17-2006, 09:02 AM
The Stihl is an excellent piece machinery, has low down grunt power, and will power through overgrowth alone sidewalks that leaves stripes of sod behind.

olderthandirt
09-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Splurge on the Edgemaster, it not my money. lol

Frontier-Lawn
09-17-2006, 11:59 AM
what i did on mine is cut off the outer lip with a dremil

ThirdDay
09-17-2006, 12:29 PM

I have had to rent a Brown Trenchers Edgemaster a few times for some nasty overgrowth. With the 5.5HP Honda engine, it has ripped through anything and everything like butter.

Do I go with the FC110 or splurge on the Edgemaster?

Dude,

You are comparing a $200 homeowner edger from Echo to an almost $400 edger from Stihl.

The "top of the line" Echo PE-260 does a great job for around $339. It goes through anything I throw at it. You might consider an Echo PAS-260 with the edger attachment...you can add other attachments down the road and save money...

fiveoboy01
09-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Dude,

You are comparing a $200 homeowner edger from Echo to an almost $400 edger from Stihl.

The "top of the line" Echo PE-260 does a great job for around $339. It goes through anything I throw at it. You might consider an Echo PAS-260 with the edger attachment...you can add other attachments down the road and save money...

Yes, I realize that. I bought it months ago before I knew better:)

I want to buy an FC110 but want to be sure it will cut through just about anything. From what I gather reading so far, it looks like it will.

Frontier-Lawn
09-17-2006, 12:48 PM
from the echo web site
The PE-200 is the preferred choice for both commercial and residential edging applications.

Lazer_Z
09-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Frontier, Your comparing a toy at 21.2CC to 31.4CC 4 MIX. With power out the @$$.

Rob

Just Mow
09-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Go with the Stihl, even the 260 Echo doesn't have the power. Sane as their trimmers.

Frontier-Lawn
09-17-2006, 01:35 PM
2 diff companys specs:

FC 110 Edger

DISPLACEMENT
31.4 cc (1.9 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER
1.0 kW (1.3 bhp)
WEIGHT
7.0 kg (15.4 lbs.)
FUEL CAPACITY
530 cc (18 oz.)
BLADE SIZE
20.3 cm (8.0 in.)
ARBOR SIZE
25.4mm (1.0 in.)
GEAR RATIO & BLADE SPEED
1:1 7000 rpm
Professional straight shaft edger powered by the STIHL 4-MIX® engine.

Shindaiwa LE260

Dry weight 13.3lbs. (6.0kg)
Displacement 1.5 cu.in. (24.1cc)
Output 1.3hp. (1.0kW) @ 7500 rpm
Fuel tank capacity 18.8oz. (555ml)
Overall length 69.7in. (177cm)
Al-position Carbuetor TK slide-valve

i think i would get the shindaiwa it wieghts less

Frontier-Lawn
09-17-2006, 01:36 PM
ps thats one one i am geting soon

Lazer_Z
09-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Frontier,You still don't get it do you? Take a long hard look at the FC110 and you'll see what all the talk is about. You have so much more power than the shindy or echo. 31.4CC and a straight shaft that you can add attachments to.

Rob

Frontier-Lawn
09-17-2006, 02:08 PM
i do get it i just rather have less wieght then a heavy sobwith gobs of power that wieghts 15+lbs

Dashunde
09-17-2006, 05:17 PM
The FC110 is a strong machine, dont hesitate buying one.

As for the weight... The blade rotates forward and always wants to climb out of the cut, and the thing that makes me the most tired is having to push down on the front handle just to keep the 110 down and digging.
Obviously, the extra weight is not needed for normal maint, but it sure helps for overgrowth or bed cutting.

On my last bed job (last week) I attached a 25lb dumbell to the shaft down near the cutting head. It made a HUGE difference, I just guided it and the engine did all the work.
I cut a clean line through the turf along 300 feet of beds removing about 2". I used a hoe to remove the cut part.
It took about 3 hours and paid $375 - The FC110 is awesome.

A little tip:
Use the thin original Stihl type of blades for cutting overgrowth or beds, and the thicker blades for normal concrete-to-turf edging. The thinner blades slice through turf/dirt easier, and the thick blades last alot longer when upside concrete.

Pietro
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
I had an Echo and well now ive got the FC 110 Stihl. Its great. It cant clump up with mud and $hit because its got an open chute. Its got tons of power, goes right thru anything with a fresh blade. I paid like 475 or something like that for it @ my dealer. Its expensive, but works well.

fiveoboy01
09-17-2006, 07:08 PM
The FC110 is a strong machine, dont hesitate buying one.

As for the weight... The blade rotates forward and always wants to climb out of the cut, and the thing that makes me the most tired is having to push down on the front handle just to keep the 110 down and digging.
Obviously, the extra weight is not needed for normal maint, but it sure helps for overgrowth or bed cutting.

On my last bed job (last week) I attached a 25lb dumbell to the shaft down near the cutting head. It made a HUGE difference, I just guided it and the engine did all the work.
I cut a clean line through the turf along 300 feet of beds removing about 2". I used a hoe to remove the cut part.
It took about 3 hours and paid $375 - The FC110 is awesome.

A little tip:
Use the thin original Stihl type of blades for cutting overgrowth or beds, and the thicker blades for normal concrete-to-turf edging. The thinner blades slice through turf/dirt easier, and the thick blades last alot longer when upside concrete.

Thanks. Just the info I'm looking for. I think I'm going to pick one up next week:weightlifter:

Just Mow
09-17-2006, 09:48 PM
i do get it i just rather have less wieght then a heavy sobwith gobs of power that wieghts 15+lbs
Not very bright are ya, I do believe you push this unit around on a wheel not carry it. Plus with all that power you will be done much sooner.

Frontier-Lawn
09-17-2006, 10:03 PM
sorry i have a bad right elbow that cant hold a lot of wieght long

Dashunde
09-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Thanks. Just the info I'm looking for. I think I'm going to pick one up next week:weightlifter:

Right on. You wont regret it.