PDA

View Full Version : Prospect for Winter Work in Gulf Coast

turfquip
09-17-2006, 12:38 PM
What would be the best approach to finding work during the winter months down in New Orleans or Gulf Coast region...besides driving down there and 'hoping' to find something apon arrival.

I have a 13 yard dumpster, a small mini X and the desire to work long days.

Would the mini (Kubota KX 41) be too small? Seems like gas and water line work, fencing and related outdoor stuff would be abundant but is there too much red tape to finding work?

Better to leave the mini at home and concentrate on dumpster work?

Also, I would need more money to compensate for being away from home since accomodations and food would presumably be expensive. Still would have to send money home for the mortgage, car, etc.

Does it make sense to pursue this idea or is there too much hassle...not to mention the possibility of hooking up with dishonest contractors, etc.

Opinions?

RockSet N' Grade
09-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Turfquip.....I have been thinking of the same idea for winter work. I am not sure who the prime contractors are or what the game is....I have put out feelers this last week exploring the possibilities....

Gravel Rat
09-17-2006, 03:40 PM
One thing to consider is if your getting paid from insurance companies etc expect long delays with payments and fighting to get paid. Wasn't there a member here that took his demolition trailer and 161 Kubota down to New Orleans and ended up loosing money.

I think its the member with the handle Start2finish ?

I watch a program on TV about the devistated area it was showing pictures of the aftermath after a year it happened I think its been a year. Alot of places are still in ruins. The program also showed them rebuilding the dikes that failed.

ksss
09-17-2006, 03:55 PM
I have not heard of anyone who has successfully gone down there and made money. I sure there are those that have but I have not talked to one. I would surely go down solo for a couple days and make contacts or try to anyway before mobilizing your stuff and heading down there. I hear equipment theft is rampant as is the homocide rate. You may want to mount a Coax m240 on top of your excavator:cool2:. If you plan on working directly for the USGOV you need to go to the website and get registered as a gov contractor. It will take a little time to do so it is rather lengthy. If you need the website let me know.

AWJ Services
09-17-2006, 05:50 PM
The money to be made down there is when FEMA was involved until Bush slapped the cuffs on them and all the money alloted for cleanup just disapeared.

Hurricane cleanup is were the money is at.
But until FEMA is stabilized I would not even think about it.
Tons of debris is still there and who knows how it will get removed.

You can contact FEMA for a list of FEMA approved contractors and call them.

You may also take an ad out in the local paper there and see what kind of response you get.

salopez
09-17-2006, 07:34 PM
I talked to fema right after katrina hit. Was thinking of bringing the hoe and the skid down there to help out, but the money they were offering was rediculous. as I recall somthing like 13per hour for the hoe and 7 for the operator. less for the skid with a grapple. Then you have to find a way to secure it...try not to get killed...and survive at that time the dirty water...jusw wasnt worth it.

AWJ Services
09-17-2006, 08:54 PM
I talked to fema right after katrina hit.

Generally FEMA delagates contracts too people who sub too others who actually are the ones paying the guys doing the work.

The money was in debris removal.
I think it was around 10 bucks a yard.
A skid and 2 20 yard trucks and you can make some cash.
Haul all you can till the contractor pulls the plug and then you get another gig.

Dirty Water
09-17-2006, 09:14 PM
A buddy of mine went down and drove skid for a month removing debris immediatly after katrina.

He didn't make a dime. Everything went into overhead.