PDA

View Full Version : 9020b

ksss
09-17-2006, 05:02 PM
I bought a CASE 9020B (160 size) on Friday. It is a 99 with about 7K hours, mech. thumb. It is not the Blade Runner I wanted to buy, but for 20K I couldn't pass it up. It is in good shape for the hours. The CASE dealer brought it in on trade and allowed me to buy it for what they gave for it. I thought that was mighty nice of them. I'll get some pictures of it. I'll spend almost as much on getting a tag trailer to haul it, as I paid for the excavator itself.

Dirty Water
09-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Your 5500 can tow a 160 sized machine?

Cool purchase, I've only ran the case mini's, but I really like them.

How do you feel about purchasing a machine with 7k on the clock? Even for 20k?

tylermckee
09-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Im assuming the previous owner took good care of it if you say its in good shape, how is the undercairage?

even if he only puts another 3,000 hours on it, which he should be able to do (i dont know how it was maintained or what work has been done to it) that works out to $360,000 gross at $120 an hour. for 20K you cant really go wrong!

RockSet N' Grade
09-17-2006, 09:02 PM
If it was me and I had some jobs lined up that could utilize that machine.....I would have bought it in a heart beat. The ROI and the prospect of keeping busy through the winter with a bigger machine was/is a smart move.....especially for the price.
There is a hidden kernal (lesson) here from a guy who has survived in this business over time. I'm sure he could have gone out and bought a new machine but at this point, the math did not justify the risk/reward. Newbies ought to take note from a seasoned veteran who lives in the cold country and has to make a years worth of wages before the ground freezes.

Dirty Water
09-17-2006, 09:13 PM
http://www.casece.com/files/TBL_SPRODUCT/IMAGE/549/9020B.JPG

For some reasion, I was thinking it would have a backfill blade.

The United Rentals here has one, the local road company has it out all the time, there's been many times I've been stopped by a flagger watching it dig heh.

I've wondered if the slight tippyness I've felt in the smaller case excavators carries over to the large ones, though the small ones were ZTR.

murray83
09-17-2006, 09:53 PM
i never knew the 9020 was made with a backfill blade as an option,i'll have to look out for one now.

Scag48
09-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Dude for $20K, that's a steal. Iron is going for SO much around here anymore. Morons asking $40K for a '94 Hitachi 120 with 5,000 hours. Good purchase Kaiser!

mrusk
09-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Wow thats a smoking deal! Wish it fell in my lap!!

How many hours are most excavators good for before they start running your wallet dry. In the next year or two i want to start breaking into excavating and i'd rather spend 30-40k on a used 120 to get me started, than dump 140k on a new one.

Matt

ksss
09-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I wish my 5500 could pull it. Actually I think it could as long as DOT would leave me alone which they wouldn't. I am going to put it behind my dump truck. It my need some work but I have some equity in it that justify putting money into if I need to. I have a large job coming up shortly that will go for about a year and half and half dozen foundations to dig this year yet. So if it can get through the rest of this year I can work on it this winter. The paint and sheet metal are real good. I know the guys who had since new and they take care of their stuff. As far as having something with 7K on it, yea I am really not used to that but I really can't justify laying out big money for a newer machine considering where I am at in this larger excavation market so this one will have to work.

RockSet N' Grade
09-17-2006, 11:56 PM
so KSSS,
If I bring my own sack lunch and stereo......can I come play on yer new toy?

ksss
09-18-2006, 02:05 AM
It has a stereo. If you can bring up some carrots and green jello in your lunch box (should not be a problem finding it in the land of Zion) its a deal.

Gravel Rat
09-18-2006, 03:55 AM
That is a decent deal for a 160 sized machine too bad it doesn't have a hydraulic thumb but you could add that later on down the road.

You will need a tandem axle dump to pull that machine safely there is no other choice. Trying to move a 160 sized machine with a smaller truck is a death wish.

2004F550
09-18-2006, 06:20 PM
A single axle class 7 or 8 can pull it fine with the right tag along, no need for the tandem unless your in mountains. We move 16 ton machines with our single axle mack and 20 ton tag no problem. The 5500 on the other hand is out of the question, unless you really do have a death wish.

alldredge_2008
09-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Sounds like you have a great relationship with your case dealer. This could be the next step to enlarging your business, maybe you could show us a couple pictures of 9020B when u get a chance. Also do you have a big enough tag trailer to haul it on?

Taylor :waving:

ksss
09-18-2006, 09:40 PM
I have a tandem axle dump truck to pull it with. ALthough it only has an L-10 in it with an 8LL transmission. I wish I had my Pete back with a 444 and an 18 speed. I don't have a trailer though. I have bid on one on Iron Planet. I wish it had a hyd. thumb but atleast it has a mech. one for now. I would like to have it looking like the picture Dirty Water posted by Spring. I got the trade in report that the dealer did when trading it in. There really isn't anything pressing. A few oil leaks the rest is mostly cosmetic stuff. The total if the dealer completely went through the machine was 7K with parts and labor.

Gravel Rat
09-18-2006, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about the L-10 it will pull the load a little slower but does the job. Just aslong the engine has a JAKE to help with the braking power you should be good to go.

A few contractors around here have tandems with L-10 power they pull their 160 sized machines on tilt trailers. You want the tandem axle for braking power a single axle dump runs out of braking power quickly. Also you want a truck that can take some tounge weigh hanging on the back of the frame.

A good brand of tilt trailer is Trailking you find one with the 22.5 wheels tandem axle a triaxle is good if you want to have a trailer that you can carry the attachements for the machine like extra buckets etc.

Good Luck with the new venture :drinkup:

SLSNursery
09-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Almost three years ago we purchased a 9020 with 8100hrs on it. A very tight machine that needed nothing. The paint was a little goofy (that model had some problems), but we survived. I have put almost 3000 hours on the unit, mostly around our yard. We screen, grind, and maintain stockpiles with it. Late last winter and spring we sandblasted and painted it. The picture is shown here. If your 9020B has an inline fuel filter, that is probably the machine's achilles heel. The fuel system gets a little finicky now and again. Past that filter is a mechanical lift pump that might give you a problem. About a month ago we changed the turbo and injectors, and the machine is great. It is about to turn 11,000 hours this month.

Scag48
09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
SLS, I bet it's easy to keep your glass clean on that machine! Those machines are fairly solid, I have a buddy who has a Sumitomo 120, I think it's like a '94 or something like that. Your 9020 looks so similar to it, I imagine those machines are almost identical in operation (except the 9020 is basically a 160 instead of a 120) as they're basically the same thing. I put a couple days in on my friend's machine without any real complaints, other than the crappy joysticks and his hydraulic thumb is controlled by a floor treadle.

Gravel Rat
09-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Those Case machines are pretty much a Linkbelt painted a different color.

Dirty Water
09-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Those Case machines are pretty much a Linkbelt painted a different color.

The engines are different, and I'm pretty sure Link Belts are case machines painted grey.

Either way, both are good machines.

Scag48
09-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Case = Sumitomo = Link Belt. They're all the same machines with different paint, but like DW said, the engines are probably all different.

ksss
09-20-2006, 12:48 AM
The Sumitomo's you see are grey market machines that have not been "westernized". Which is why the thumb activation is on the floor. Link Belts run Izuzu diesels while the CASE machines run the CASE/Cummins motors. One little known fact is that JCB also used Sumitomo's excavators for a while. This 9020B has the same engine as my 95XT just turn up another 25 hp or so. I appreciate the heads up on the filters. I have the dealer switching the controls over to Deere and changing all the filters. SLS there is a set of decals for a 9020B on Ebay for $149.00

Dirty Water
09-20-2006, 01:57 AM
I think Sumitomo is somewhat related to Komatsu as well, as I've seen a few Sumitomo's that look identicle to greymarket Komatsu PC 75's (The purple ones with the 3 piece booms).

Kaiser, your crazy to run deere controls :)

ACutAbovesiny
09-20-2006, 02:13 AM
Nice machine.

ksss
09-20-2006, 02:16 AM
I wish I had first learned on CAT controls life would be much easier. Renting excavators (full Size) is a PITA running Deere controls. Everyone is set up for CAT. Kinda late in the game to change now.

Gravel Rat
09-20-2006, 02:37 AM
You mean your not ambidextrous you can't switch your brain from Cat to Deere and visa versa :laugh:

I have troubles running Deere controls pretty much I look like a ****** trying to run a excavator with deere pattern.

One benefit of having the 4cyl Cummins is parts are cheaper.

Scag48
09-20-2006, 03:11 AM
I can't run Deere controls, I always send the boom straight up! :laugh:

Yeah the Sumitomo's are totally grey, but my buddy bought his with 2,500 hours and it has 6,000 on it now. He's one hell of a mechanic, he's had a few issues with that machine, but right now all it needs is a new undercarriage. He says he thinks he's done about 700-800 acres of orchard removal which is 85% walking the machine.

ksss
09-24-2006, 09:35 PM
http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/141513?do=1&h=4%2F9

Well I ended up with the trailer. Its not a tilt but it will work I hope.

Dirty Water
09-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Looks like a good tag, going to drive your dump out to NC to pick it up?

ksss
09-24-2006, 09:46 PM
No, its catching a ride with a cab fare of 3K to Idaho Falls.

Dirty Water
09-24-2006, 09:49 PM
No, its catching a ride with a cab fare of 3K to Idaho Falls.

Most likely that will be cheaper anyways once you factor in wear and tear on the dump and lost work time.

wanabe
09-24-2006, 11:40 PM
One heck of a deal for $20xxx. I just wish I could find one in that price range!

NateV
09-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Thats one steep load angle.

Scag48
09-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Nice trailer!:drinkup:

RockSet N' Grade
09-25-2006, 11:41 PM
KSSS,
Looks alot like my trailer.....except yours is a little more heavy duty and mine is black in color. What I did in the tongue area (since I saw that as wasted space) is put in a sheet of metal to make a floor and then made a frame and door for the top. I store shovels, chains, binders and stuff...plus, I can walk from my trailer over a solid platform and look into the bed of my dump truck. Cost me a couple hundred bucks, but for me it has been invaluable.

RockSet N' Grade
09-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Another thing I did for myself is mark my trailer deck (on my visual side) with a black line that I follow with my track to let me know I am exactly centered (left to right) on my trailer deck just in case I have to load by myself. I also put two pieces of 4X8 plywood down in the front so when I load up and my bucket scrapes as I am loading.....I'm tearing up the plywood vs. trailer deck. Load all my buckets and compactor ontop of the plywood and it has kept my deck clean, plus we use the plywood to transport across lawns sometimes.....

ksss
09-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Well I knew this was going to happen. The turbo is shot on the 9020. They are going to replace that and fix all the leaks and do a complete service cost is 2K. The pump was replaced about three years ago I found out. Hopefully this will allow be to start making money with it. I have 4K yards of material to excavate starting on Friday.

Scag48
09-27-2006, 02:01 AM
Kaiser, fly me out to Idaho, I'll go to work. Just started back at the restaurant a couple nights ago. :cry:

RockSet N' Grade
09-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Scag.....
Think about this for a minute. You got it made in alot of ways. If you went to Idaho you'd be flippin dirt instead of burgers (which is more fun for sure) but the only foxes and wild life you would be seeing in Idaho are 4 legged.......there are advantages to where you are right now, and I wish I had the potential opportunities you have....enjoy it!

Scag48
09-27-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't mind going to school it's just the lack of running the sticks that's killing me. Haven't been on a machine in a month.

Although last night I had the pleasure of assisting at the host desk with a very endowed female. That wasn't so bad I guess. :D

ksss
09-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Well, Scag transfer your credits to ISU or Uof I (both are available in Idaho Falls) you can run equipment here while you go to school. There are a few well endowed females running loose around here. Or say they tell me:o . I am sure a guy driven an Audi would have no problem snaggen one (we even have an Audi dealer).

janb
10-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Well, Scag transfer your credits to ISU or Uof I (both are available in Idaho Falls) you can run equipment here while you go to school. There are a few well endowed females running loose around here. Or say they tell me:o . I am sure a guy driven an Audi would have no problem snaggen one (we even have an Audi dealer).

Scag - this is a very generous offer:clapping: (if you guys could get along...)

consider it at an opportune time (like between soph and junior yr) Gain residency, OR use the 'interstate' college collaboration that is offered between WA, ID and OR (limited $$, but possible) You would want to 'transfer' on a contract, as you won't lose any credits. You could get your CDL and some valuable experience.

Stepping out of your comfort zone is always worth the risk, and the benefit and variety of learning from other's expertise is priceless (will save you BIG $$$ when you are on your own)

I was wisely advised to set sail from a very good toolmaker's position in Colorado, as soon as I finished my apprenticeship, so... 25 yrs later... it was a tough time, but the opportunities and growth in skill and charactor would not have happened without 'hitting the road'. The advice was... You will always be thought of as an apprentice where you get your training, and though you may be good, you will not stretch your sails like you will when you face the strong gales of adversity (like being a grunt again, having to prove yourself to a new boss, client...)

my theory (not widely accepted, especially by my kids...)
"go to Dairy Farm Boarding School ages 13-20, and you will be fit for life" or...in some cases the military has done that, but getting your ears boxed a few times, seems to be a pretty important part of the lesson. (and having to bail your self out of some big messes. (I'm still much better at digging in, than OUT:hammerhead:

Once you are gone for awhile, things definately improve in the 'appreciation' realm . Dad's for sons, - son's for dads - both for mom:)

I'd definatley scope out the 'babes', as WA state has some pretty beefy heifers, you might need to look to a rougher climate to get the 'hard working- appreciative types' . I've been pretty impressed with the Montana, ND and ID gals that I've worked with. They are a significant 'catch', especially a farm or ranch gal. - they just might like the Audi for a change of pace...

Scag48
10-01-2006, 03:42 AM
I'm pursuing professional photography right now as a second source of income. I was at a college volleyball game the other night shooting with my huge telephoto lens. I gotta tell ya, girls love guys with cameras. Fact right there.:rolleyes:

I like being on my own, I don't have my dad crawling up my back trying to get me to bail him out of his problems. At this point, all I have to do is worry about myself, which is a nice change since the last 4 or 5 years I was always worrying about my own business, school, and making sure my dad got all his stuff done. Now, all I have is school, my restaurant job is super easy, and my photography is just a part time deal. I don't like being away from the equipment, but I'll appreciate years down the road when I get back into the game.

RockSet N' Grade
10-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Alot of inovative and creative people have made a good living with photography......some guys have even created quite a stir ie: GirlsGoneWild website, the Zapruder footage of Kennedy getting assinated, Ansel Adams and his Yosemite photos.....the world is yours, try it all, don't let fear get in your way, say yes to all those new experiences coming your way.......and then post those pics of those volley ballers!

SLSNursery
10-01-2006, 12:49 PM
KSSS - did you get the turbo? It is not a big deal, and is pretty inexpensive. Make sure the inner air filter is new, and that you change the oil after you change the turbo. Ours blew, and we changed the injectors and the turbo. The rebuilt turbo blew after a couple of months and case warrantied it, and the dealer fixed it onsite the next morning. We paid for some diagnostic time.

Scag - you should move to Idaho and start shooting 'excavators gone wild'. It could be a niche market for you. Stay in school no matter what. It is much harder to complete school later when you NEED to work. Right now you WANT to work.

Dirty Water
10-01-2006, 01:19 PM
I've been building and rebuilding turbo's since I was young, Kiaser, if you can get a hold of the old shot turbo I'd gladly pay shipping to take it off your hands.

ksss
10-01-2006, 05:54 PM
They replaced the turbo and did all the services. I can check to see if they have that turbo laying around. They don't have any use for it. I have a lot of material to move this week we'll see how it runs.

ksss
10-03-2006, 02:17 AM
I spent the day on the old girl today and came away feeling good about the purchase. The machine was unbelievable tight. Very easy to hold grade with. There are some electrical issues to address (auto idle doesn't work, windshield wiper, cab fan), but as far as digging it does that. The machine is slower than the 225 I usually rent but it still isn't bad. The long stick is nice especially on this job (6000 square foot basement 7-8 feet in the ground). I have a lot of material to move in the next several days well see how it continues to run. The salesman got in a little bind for not making any money on the sale of the machine. I owe him one, no doubt.