PDA

View Full Version : Broken Fiber optic

Dirty Water
09-19-2006, 10:29 AM
A contractor in Bellingham severed a fiber optic trunk line yesterday evening, and it sent my entire town into "communication" darkness until today.

Glad it was him and not me, I bet the fine for that is HUGE.

Anyone hit fiber?

Gravel Rat
09-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Thank god we never have to worry about underground utilities all electrical and communication lines are above ground on poles. The rules here state any underground utility has to be buried in conduit usually its bright orange pipe.

I forgot the price of what fiber optic cable costs I know a people that install the cable. It is also a pain in the ass to splice the cable.

If the guy didn't have the utilities marked out before they started digging the guy is going to be in big ****.

RockSet N' Grade
09-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Never hit a fibre optic.....I know of a company (they are nationwide) that hit a fibre optic in Georgia and they shut down their entire digging operations across the US (immediately!) until the problem was diagnosed/solved and resolved........It has got to be spendy!

murray83
09-19-2006, 08:35 PM
last time i herd aliant around here was $100/minute.

now if i can stop seeing idiot contractors around here hitting gas lines and not calling before they dig i'd be happy.

5 times in 2 months is a bit sad.

YardPro
09-19-2006, 08:57 PM
guy in new bern NC hit one in a few places... $175K.. put him out of business

Scag48
09-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Insurance won't cover for a hit? I hit underground power but was relieved of fines because the locate company didn't locate the line. It was no biggie though, went to an abadonded pump shed, but it blew a breaker on the overhead pole and shut off the neighbor's power. I'd like to see guys who hit underground lines due to their lack of calling the locate company thrown in jail, that should be criminal. It's free, takes 5 minutes to call. Then if you hit it and it wasn't marked, you're fine.

tylermckee
09-20-2006, 04:15 AM
Who was the contractor? Notice the usage of the word WAS:laugh: Don't even want to imagine what that will cost.

Dirty Water
09-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Who was the contractor? Notice the usage of the word WAS:laugh: Don't even want to imagine what that will cost.

Wasn't a contractor, I found out more info today. My ISP told me it was a contractor the other night, in todays paper they said a tree took the cable down.

RockSet N' Grade
09-20-2006, 07:17 PM
:hammerhead: :drinkup: Did the tree have workman's comp?:dizzy:

earthmover
09-20-2006, 10:44 PM
I thought the same as Scag did. I always thought insurance would cover the hit as long as you called for a markout. Is that right?