PDA

View Full Version : Any Ajuga experts out there?

LarryF
09-20-2006, 02:46 PM
I've got some patches of it growing in parts of my property I seldom go near, and I'd like to transplant them to a hill I have which has always been tough to mow. There's not much of the wild stuff compared to what I really need, but at the prices I see for flats on the web, I think I might have a few hundred dollars worth. My first question is when should I do the transplanting, now in the early fall or should I wait until Spring? Second question is.............Anyone know of an inexpensive source for Ajuga? I have a couple of thousand square feet of hill I'd like to cover with it (I'll probably do the plugs on a one-foot grid), so I'm looking for a bargain. The web sites I looked at don't seem to be any less expensive than what Home Depot/Lowes wanted for it last time they had it in stock.

newz7151
09-20-2006, 03:02 PM
I've got some patches of it growing in parts of my property I seldom go near, and I'd like to transplant them to a hill I have which has always been tough to mow. There's not much of the wild stuff compared to what I really need, but at the prices I see for flats on the web, I think I might have a few hundred dollars worth. My first question is when should I do the transplanting, now in the early fall or should I wait until Spring? Second question is.............Anyone know of an inexpensive source for Ajuga? I have a couple of thousand square feet of hill I'd like to cover with it (I'll probably do the plugs on a one-foot grid), so I'm looking for a bargain. The web sites I looked at don't seem to be any less expensive than what Home Depot/Lowes wanted for it last time they had it in stock.

Seeing where you are, I'd say wait until spring. It dies off and comes back down here, but we don't get near the low temps as yous guys up north. If you're going to propogate from what you already have, do it just after the first bloom stacks errode. It's a hardy little plant that will grow across a sidewalk just from the little runner stems until it gets to more dirt. Not very drought tolerant though, but sprinkle a little water on it when it's wilted and it perks back up in a days time. (around here anyway)

LarryF
09-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Seeing where you are, I'd say wait until spring. It dies off and comes back down here, but we don't get near the low temps as yous guys up north. If you're going to propogate from what you already have, do it just after the first bloom stacks errode. It's a hardy little plant that will grow across a sidewalk just from the little runner stems until it gets to more dirt. Not very drought tolerant though, but sprinkle a little water on it when it's wilted and it perks back up in a days time. (around here anyway)

Thanks for the response. If there are any others out there who can add anything, especially an inexpensive sourse for Ajuga, I'd like to hear from you. The prices I've seen on the web are about $5 a plant or $100 for a flat of 24. 1/4 to 1/10 of that is what I would like to pay seeing how much I would need. And that leads me to another question. Since I often see deer, rabbits and ground hogs in my yard, I was somewhat surprised to find these wild-growing patches of the plant. Don't they eat them? The leaves look pretty juicy.......almost appetizing enough to be in a salad. If I were to start transplanting to that hill I mentioned and later supplement that work with plants I would be buying, isn't that going to become a banquet table for the animals mentioned?

upidstay
09-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Transplant what you have and fertilize it. I've killed enough of it in lawns to know it can be pretty tenacious stuf.

LarryF
09-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Transplant what you have and fertilize it. I've killed enough of it in lawns to know it can be pretty tenacious stuf.
Thanks! I presume you mean transplant it now?

LarryF
09-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Since I often see deer, rabbits and ground hogs in my yard, I was somewhat surprised to find these wild-growing patches of the plant. Don't they eat them? The leaves look pretty juicy.......almost appetizing enough to be in a salad.

No one volunteered an answer, so I looked elsewhere for one. After some browsing I found that as far as deer are concerned, the answer is no, they don't eat ajuga. It's so repulsive to them, in fact, that some plant ajuga because it functions as a deer barrier. I thought that was pretty interesting and thought I'd share it with anyone who didn't already know it.

jkingrph
10-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the response. If there are any others out there who can add anything, especially an inexpensive sourse for Ajuga, I'd like to hear from you. The prices I've seen on the web are about $5 a plant or $100 for a flat of 24. 1/4 to 1/10 of that is what I would like to pay seeing how much I would need. And that leads me to another question. Since I often see deer, rabbits and ground hogs in my yard, I was somewhat surprised to find these wild-growing patches of the plant. Don't they eat them? The leaves look pretty juicy.......almost appetizing enough to be in a salad. If I were to start transplanting to that hill I mentioned and later supplement that work with plants I would be buying, isn't that going to become a banquet table for the animals mentioned?
Look at classygroundcovers.com

LarryF
10-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Look at classygroundcovers.com

Thanks for the web site, but they also charge about a hundred bucks for 24. That's only enough for about 24 square feet, and my hills cover about 3-to-4 thousand square feet. I'm going to pass until I find some place that's a lot cheaper. I can't see spending thousands on this. If I can't find a source that's an order of magnitude less expensive, I'll give up the idea or I'll transplant the ones that are growing wild, and if they take and start to spread, I'll break them up and transplant over and over for the next few years. This isn't a high-priority project for me even though the hills are horrible to mow.

It would be nice to know the best time to do the transplanting. One of the responses said to do it in the Spring, but I got the impression from another that now in the Fall would be the right time. Any more input on that?

Kate Butler
10-01-2006, 07:46 PM
I get a catalog from a place called Joyce's Groundcovers and think they're reasonable. Don't seem to have a website, but here's the phone #:

(800)-435-1142

LarryF
10-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks Kate,

I'll call them tomorrow.

LarryF
10-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Kate.

I called, and the quoted price is more like what I was looking for.

$30 per hundred or $200 per thousand. Of course I realize these will be just seedlings; whereas, the $100-per-flat-of-24 ones at other web sites are probably fairly mature plants. But I don't mind letting them grow to maturity on my land if I can get them for about 1/20th the price.

Thanks for the tip. It's getting late in the season, however, so maybe I'll be doing this next Spring. A catalog is on the way to me, and I'll be seeing what else they have.

Grn Mtn
10-02-2006, 11:34 AM
I can get a flat of 50 (2 1/4") peat pots of Ajuga for $22. The price goes down if you buy 10+ flats.

Or you can just come over to one of my customers yard and take as much as you can, Its taking over her lawn.

LarryF
10-02-2006, 11:54 AM
I can get a flat of 50 (2 1/4") peat pots of Ajuga for $22. The price goes down if you buy 10+ flats.

Or you can just come over to one of my customers yard and take as much as you can, Its taking over her lawn.

Well, Rochester, NY is would be a pretty long drive for me. But would you tell me the source of these $22-for-50 plants anyway.

And I understand your comment about the risk of ajuga taking over a lawn. Something I will have to seriously consider before I jump in. Could you tell me how your customer got into that situation? Did she plant some several years back and it got out of hand, or did it just appear mysteriously?

sheshovel
10-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Geeeze I get a flat of Ajuga for 15.00 retail and a flat has aprox 48 fully rooted plants with good foliage.

LarryF
10-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Geeeze I get a flat of Ajuga for 15.00 retail and a flat has aprox 48 fully rooted plants with good foliage.

Thanks for chiming in. What you wrote supports my belief that some of the prices I've seen on the web are attempted rip-offs. To many, it's just a weed, so I have a problem with these $100-for-24-plants quotations I've found there. A rip-off by more than a factor of 10 it seems!!!!!

Grn Mtn
10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Well, Rochester, NY is would be a pretty long drive for me. But would you tell me the source of these $22-for-50 plants anyway.

And I understand your comment about the risk of ajuga taking over a lawn. Something I will have to seriously consider before I jump in. Could you tell me how your customer got into that situation? Did she plant some several years back and it got out of hand, or did it just appear mysteriously?

www.gardenfactoryofny.com

Yes, she had planted it under a tree and it just kept comming. she seems to think when you mow it the clippings sprout. I'm not so sure on that as I only just picked her up this year.

I do like the plant though, nice color and flowers to boot.

SheShovel: $15 a flat retail wow, thats what I get Ivy and Pach for (but qty of 100 not 50), but myrtle and ajuga is more as stated. Maybe since this is all locally grown it could be a labor cost difference. I would imagin the labor is less expensive on those HUGE nurseries in Cali.

Grn Mtn
10-04-2006, 12:32 PM
here is a picture of our plant in question:

LarryF
10-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Yep! That's it, otherwise know as ajuga reptans or carpet bungleweed, I think. To me it's very attactive, and what I like about it compared to other ground covers such as pachysandra is that the leaves are so close to the ground, I believe it will prevent the leaves from the trees gettng under them to make fall cleanup even more difficult than it is.

Thanks for the photo. I sent email to gardenfactory to get prices and to find out if they can ship them to me somehow. But there must be a company similar to them here in NJ. How to find them, however, is the next question. NJ is called the "Garden State". There must be a farm somewhere here where they are grown.

LarryF
10-04-2006, 05:55 PM

In a subsequent post, you provided the name of your source, so I sent email to them asking for price, when they have them in stock and if they could ship to me. This was their response.

"We have it in the spring in quarts as individual, full grown plants for
$3.19 each. Unfortunately we do not ship anything.

Shannon Consaul
NYS Certified Nursery Professional
Customer Service
The Garden Factory
2126 Buffalo Rd.
Rochester, NY 14624
Phone: 585.247.6236 ext 201
Fax: 585.247.6954
www.gardenfactoryny.com"

$3.19 each is a bit different from the "50 for $22" you quoted, so that wouldn't have panned out too well even if they could have shipped it. But thanks anyway for trying.

MarkintheGarden
10-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Classic Groundcovers catalog lists 2 cultivars of Ajuga reptans both available in pint containers, priced according to the amount purchased.
Burgandy glow (1-23) 1.98 (24-39) 1.58 (240+)1.48
Bronze 1.58 1.18 1.08

800 248 8424

I have purchased from them, and they provide good plants quickly

LarryF
10-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Classic Groundcovers catalog lists 2 cultivars of Ajuga reptans both available in pint containers, priced according to the amount purchased.
Burgandy glow (1-23) 1.98 (24-39) 1.58 (240+)1.48
Bronze 1.58 1.18 1.08

800 248 8424

I have purchased from them, and they provide good plants quickly

Thanks! I'll look into it, but I had already looked at their web site (http://www.classic-groundcovers.com/) and they seem to be pretty emphatic about not selling to the general public; that is, to anyone not in the nursery or landscaping business. I appreciate the info, however.