PDA

View Full Version : Policy for damaged equipment, etc.

tjcezar
09-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Does anyone have a policy for when a employee damages equipment, trucks, or other property due to negligence or other circumstances?

taproot
09-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Does anyone have a policy for when a employee damages equipment, trucks, or other property due to negligence or other circumstances?

Thats YOUR problem. Hire the right people to begin with.

greenscapes,inc.
09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Depends on what happened. If a trimmer falls of the trailer or something along those lines then they are paying for it. If they wreck the truck then more then likely it was a accident and thats what insurance is for.

tjcezar
09-20-2006, 09:37 PM
What does hiring the right people have to do with the question. I don't know about you but that have have multiple employees (which obviously TAPROOT doesn't) are always hiring because people come and go when your hiring basic laborers. It is part of the business. Anyway we could go into a whole other topic here and my question still wouldn't be answered.

What do you guys do when someone runs a mower into a building hard enough to create both damage to the mower and the building.

How about an employee loading a truck and maybe smashing a chainsaw or other piece of equipment underneath something heavier because he or she was being careless and just threw the stuff in there? What if they were instructed to load the truck properly?

tjcezar
09-20-2006, 09:39 PM
How about an employee throwing a rake to another employee rather than handing it to them and consequently the rake hits the ground and breaks?

Uranus
09-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Well it all depends on the situation. First rakes are a dime a dozen. That one you have to suck up the cost and buy another. If it keeps on happening you need to talk to employees. Second hitting a building goes both ways. If the employee is being careless and flying around dock his pay. But sometimes crap happens. Loading a truck and breaking stuff? Loads can allways shift. But it sounds like you should ride some butts and let your crews know your not happy with whats going on lately and tell them that all the added expences due to broken and replacing tools and equipment is going to lower their raises cuz there is just no money left. Time to chew some A**

gardenkeeper88
09-20-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm at the same point right now. same thing w/losing equipment.
How about a crew losing 2 hand pruners
how about driving off from a job and forgetting the cone
how about working at a Cracker Barrel leaving a 4 way folding ladder on the other side of the building and yep now it's gone.
Proper employee? This crew does fantastic work w/ very little corrections and usually at a decent speed, but. Lets face it these people are employees. At some point you have to come up with something holding them responsible, or the lack of caring won't improve. All employees will have a flaw but, we have to try to help them become better employees, and maybe help them advance in life and hopefully in your company.

mojob
09-20-2006, 10:19 PM
how about working at a Cracker Barrel leaving a 4 way folding ladder on the other side of the building and yep now it's gone.
Proper employee? This crew does fantastic work w/ very little corrections and usually at a decent speed, but. Lets face it these people are employees. At some point you have to come up with something holding them responsible, or the lack of caring won't improve. All employees will have a flaw but, we have to try to help them become better employees, and maybe help them advance in life and hopefully in your company.
I think you're asking too much. If your employees are as good as you say then they're making you enough money to pay for the petty stuff you mentioned. I think we've all driven off without everything loaded up at least once. You're tough.

stumper1620
09-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Give them a check list to confirm that nothing is left behind, make one man responsible to do that one thing at every job.
Go to sears to buy your rakes, shovels, ect. lifetime warranty. the only place you can trust for over the counter exchanges.
chew some azz about throwing things in the trailer. accidents happen, did the guy hit the building because of hurrying or did he slide into it? tell him to slow down near the buildings and landscape.

its all part of dealing with employees. Which I'm a solo so who am i to advise. thats why I don't hire anybody but my own boys.

gardenkeeper88
09-21-2006, 09:14 AM
I think you're asking too much. If your employees are as good as you say then they're making you enough money to pay for the petty stuff you mentioned. I think we've all driven off without everything loaded up at least once. You're tough.

I somewhat agree that it is petty. All except the ladder. But in the past things left behind and lost are gas cans, $100.00 pole trimmer, Stick edger, tarps. and Mis rakes & shovels. I have never done anything except AM meeting. But It does cost alot of xtra time and money to replace lost items. If your going to be profitable you do have to look at this, and keep it to a min. The thing to look at here is repetativeness. Is this a habit? How many tomes have they left something & gone back after it? I know of 1 that was still there. If they are making trips every so often for forgotten tools that also cost more. I have 2 crews with plans for more and I would like not to have this continual problem every year X more crews. I'm not looking for something that will piss them off to quit, but they are like children who should learn from mistakes so they don't keep doing it. I'm not that tough, Like I said to date Nothing but a meeting has been done & I'm not going to implement anythig mid year. This winter foremen & I are going to sit down and hash out a solution. I just thought I would respond for ideas as well to this thread.

tjcezar
09-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Yeah I hear what your sayin. It is just frustrating when you lose a couple of rakes in a week ($60-70 rakes are really not a dime a dozen to me) or you have someone who could give a crap about your stuff and tares things up. If a guy puts a big dent in a 1/4 steel mow deck he had to be full speed and totally careless.

Littleriver1
09-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Every one always says that when they damage any employers equipment, it was an accident. Most companys I have worked for in the past had a policy of drug tests. If you damage equipment or even a near miss, you pee in a cup. I think your naive to believe tossing the rake is the cause of the damage. Most likly they were screwing around and broke the rake. Here is the answer to all of life's day to day problems. You can live with it - you can change it - you can eliminate it. Most of us are in this business because we were screw ups in another life. I have broken a lot of equipment in my life. One cost $35,000 to repair. I have had over 15 employers. I have never been fired from a job. I have never had to pay for any of these mistakes. However I have seen other employees fired for atitude problems that resulted in damaged equipment. An injury is more inportant than damage. Damage could be a near miss to an injury. I would preach Safety, because that is all i've ever heard in my life time.