PDA

View Full Version : Help me reclaim my lawn -- name this weed

BowtieBlazer
09-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Hello all, I need help. I have just begun maintaining a new lawn at my newly accuired home and it needs help badly. Addressing the concerns of bad neighboring lawns is not a problem but I have started growing a trouble maker of my own.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/435124/fullsize/img_1614.jpg

This stuff is HELL. It spreads quick and beds down in the st. augustine runners where its near impossible to get out. It will come out in strands but is near impossible to get rid of completely. I've tried pulling up as much of it as I can with no sign of progress but maybe multiplication. Its gotten into the flower beds and is drowning out monkey grass and all. I remember growing up my parents had this same weed take over part of the lawn and dad dug lots and lots of the yard up with no help at all. I can't remember the final solution and neither can he....

Here is a picture of it growing rampantly in the flower bed before I weeded it out.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/435125/fullsize/img_1615.jpg
sure does have some pretty white flowers :rolleyes: Whats the best plan of attack as far as treatments fertilizers etc?

just getting started...

HELP!

JWTurfguy
09-21-2006, 05:34 PM
The name of the weed is Virginia Buttonweed. Sorry, but it's really hard to control without a state liscense for buying/applying pesticides. Most likely, you're going to need to hire someone to make, possibly, 2 applications of Momentum or a similar 2-4,D based product (chances are, the weed control products you can buy over-the-counter aren't going to have enough 2-4,D to get the job done). Otherwise, hand-weeding or Roundup are your only options. Just make sure that you get it all the way down to the root. Here's a link you can take a look at. Best of luck!

http://msucares.com/crops/weeds/button.html

Shane

BowtieBlazer
09-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the info, I remember my dad cusing the stuff I guess now I see why. I'll check and see what I can find out locally, I didnt bother with any weed and feed products yet as I pretty much remembered they didnt even phase the stuff.

upidstay
09-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Call your local Lesco and see what they can sell you. There are some products that will take it out, or at least knock it back to a manageable level. It may take a few years of applications, but you will eventually get it to a level you can deal with. Eliminate D is a decent product. Not to expensive, and will kill alot of your boradleaf weeds with proper use. Not a guarenteed kill, but if you get 1/2 of it the first time, then 1/2 of it th next, it won;t be so bad and the turfgrass will fight it off too. Good luck and READ THE LABEL BEFORE YOU SPRAY!!!

hmartin
09-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Repeat applications of a product like Trimec, Triplet or 3way will kill this weed. These products will have a combination of 2-4d, dicamba and mecoprop. Some products of this type will harm St. Augustine, so read the label.

The best route is to buy Manor or Blade with active ingredient metsulfuron. It will not damage St. Augustine and will remove Virginia buttonweed as well as many other broadleaf weeds. Buttonweed loves wet areas, so improving drainage will help.

BowtieBlazer
09-24-2006, 01:03 PM
drainage is not a big concern, my yard drains very well all things considered. This button weed really showed up since about last year after hurricane rita when my isolated area got 11"+ of rain and the streets became streams and water extended across half the lawn. Reading up that this seed has a good boyancy probably explains its sudden appearance. A guy about a block down the road has a empty lot next to him and a low front yard himself ruled by this buttonweed. I suspect it floated on down and seeded in.