PDA

View Full Version : clearing this yard (picture)

bobbyg18
09-21-2006, 06:15 PM
im new to the business and have just started my own skid steer service this summer...i haven't done a job like this before but this job is a half mile away from my house and i'd like to get this job...I own a skid steer with bucket and small backhoe and grapple arm...i can rent any attachment i may need its just im not sure which is the best for this job...

so a few questions for you guys

1)what would you use to clear this yard of the bushes and weeds...(im guessing a brush cutter or brush hog?)

2)how would you go about clearing this area?

any input is appreciated...i will be meeting the homeowner tomorrow...

thanks...bg
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d700b3127cce8d283aee0fe600000016108AbNmTdm0YtT

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d700b3127cce8d283922ce8300000016108AbNmTdm0YtT

MikeAtv
09-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Are they wanting to kept the trees?If not, I would rent a Brushcutter.

ksss
09-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Are they clearing it for lawn preparation or just wanting to maintain what exists. If it is the later I would second the brush cutter. If your turinng it to lawn I would mow it, collect the grass (it will prevent adding any more vegatation to the soil than you already will have) and rototill it. If you would like you could grub the lot after mowing it. The finish will be nicer when your done due to the grass being out of the picture. However that will result in trucking unless they have a place to put it.

minimax
09-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Brush mow,brush rake it, and grade it out!

janb
09-21-2006, 11:45 PM
yeah, need a little more info, (skid steer capability / HP flow + desired outcome) but since tomorrow's soon...

1) if you have big bucks and high flow, find a chopper (Magnum / timber axe) They leave 2-4" of stubble and the rest in shredded refuse

2) Brush-hog will be a bit more of a 'hacker' and leave some chunks, but with the cool weather, you will need to do something with the big / long stuff, as it won't dry out and wither up.

whatever you rent make sure it is sharp (fat chance, but worth a try)

bobbyg18
09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
turned out to be wetlands (i think)...it gets more swampy the further you get into the thick

....the prospective buyer says the real estate agent said it wasnt wetlands...i told him to double check and triple check...but a neighbor 3 houses down has his backyard all filled in...i approached them and they said it was like that when they bought the house 10 yrs ago and that it is definately wetlands in the prospective buyers yard...

so what are the rules regarding wetlands and conservation land?...and how can you tell if it is?

i now know i probably wont be doing the job...thanks anyways bg

jazak
09-22-2006, 07:36 PM
If its wetlands you can't touch it......at least around here. The state should be buying that land soon.:clapping:

murray83
09-22-2006, 07:54 PM
yep,can't even go near that with a machine without a permit.

can't even mow tall grass in a roadside ditch since your entering a water course,and if you think about it....DOT plowing snow into that ditch in winter is against the law,gotta love government screwing government.

if i'm asked to look at a job and its near a ditch or stream i just walk away theres too much legal crap that comes along with water course laws.

Gravel Rat
09-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Walk away not worth the headaches you get the enviromental nuts on your back they will cause you nothing but a big pain in the ass.

minimax
09-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Wetlands!!, NO WAY:walking: :walking:

RockSet N' Grade
09-22-2006, 10:24 PM
We have a subdivision near here enveloped by beautiful wetlands. These "happy homeowners" put in their backyards with total self indulgence, no regard to the current statutes or environmental impact they are having (we live in a major bird migratory zone). Most of these kids have built into wetlands with their yards......WELL, long story short.....Army Corp of Engineers got wind of this little escapade and is now in the process of financially dismanteling each and every one of these folks.....ACoE will bury them with paperwork, legal fees, fines,etc. At one home, the homeowner must remove all the dirt from their yard ( over 200 yards) with no equipment!!!......all by hand.

MikeAtv
09-25-2006, 09:39 AM
:weightlifter: I bet they will look like Arnald:weightlifter: