PDA

View Full Version : need help changing blades out

ndwiginton
09-21-2006, 06:19 PM
I recently purchased a Hustler Z with the 60" XR7 deck. I am wanting to change the blades out on it and was wondering what might be the easiest way to get the mower lifted so that I can get the them changed out. Any advice would be appreciated.

JimmyJ
09-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I have a 60" Z. Options are to by a cheap hoist and mount it where you can lift the mower or jack it up and put some jack stands under it. You will almost certainly need an impact wrench to break the bolts that hold the blades on. Check with Harbor Freight if there is one close by. They have reasonable electric hoists and jack stands. I use a "Handyman" jack and the jack stands. It is tricky getting it up high enough. Be careful and chock the rear tires/ Even with the parking break on the tires have a tendency to slide backwards ever so slightly using a jack.

puppypaws
09-22-2006, 09:30 PM
I recently purchased a Hustler Z with the 60" XR7 deck. I am wanting to change the blades out on it and was wondering what might be the easiest way to get the mower lifted so that I can get the them changed out. Any advice would be appreciated.I have a 10" beam that runs across one of my front opened sheds that I leave a very short chain wrapped around all the time with a hook hanging down about 12". I pull the front of my Super Z under the chain and stand on the floor of the mower and reach up and hook a cheap chain fall, I then go to the front of the mower and put the hook on the chain fall in the center of the frame and it hooks perfectly. I then raise the mower until it comes up a little on the small dolly wheels on the back of the mower, then I take a cheap ($79.00) electric impact wrench and zip the blades right off and replace them with another set that I keep sharp. I have this down to a science, from the time I pull the mower under the chain it may take me 5 minutes till everything is finished and put back in it's place, it can't get any easier unless they would change themselves.

tn mac
09-23-2006, 12:30 AM
I use a floor jack to raise mine, and put jack stands under then swap out the blades.

mowerconsultant
09-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Budget = floor jack and jack stands / breaker bar and a block of wood.
Money to spend = hoist / chain fall and jack stands and a impact (electric or air)

jcltyson
09-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Several economical jacks on the market that work fine. I like the Jungle Jim jack.

mowerconsultant
09-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Several economical jacks on the market that work fine. I like the Jungle Jim jack.

Very good point, for some reason I forgot to mention those.

Pj

jeffack1
09-26-2006, 10:13 PM
I just changed my blades for the first time. I picked up a set of plastic ramps for a car ($30.00) and they worked great.

I have an impact wrench, but I went the block of wood and socket wrench route for some reason.

Total time to change the blades was about 10 min.

Jeff

Scraper
09-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Budget = floor jack and jack stands / breaker bar and a block of wood.
Money to spend = hoist / chain fall and jack stands and a impact (electric or air)

Budget is using your trailer ramps hanging half the mower out.

mowerconsultant
09-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Budget is using your trailer ramps hanging half the mower out.

True......
If he has a trailer that is....lol...lol.... could be a home owner....

MJfromMD
05-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Personally, I like the electric cable hoist and jack stand method. Remember to block those rear wheels!

However, I think that failing to identify and depict preferred lift or jack points on their mowers is a considerable void in Hustler's owner's manuals. Especially when an accident occurring during such mower maintenance could cause injury or death.

Is there an official statement from the manufacturer defining such?