PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers attempting to sealcoat church parking lot- please help!

kline5
09-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Guys, our church parking lot is overdue for sealcoating. A couple of our guys bought a 550 gal. aggitated spray unit from a guy that was giving up the business due to bad health. We are planning to sealcoat the parking lot in a week or so. The problem is- none of us have ever sealcoated before! I have been doing alot of reading on the subject (mostly on this forum) but would appreciate any advise about the process.

The bulk distributor is 100 miles away... can we go get the product one day and then wait til the next day to spray it? How much do we need to aggitate it overnight?

The distributor sells the product diluted or undiluted. which do we want?

How much product do we need to cover a 20,00 sq. ft. parking lot?

Any advice from you old Pros would be greatly appreciated. Thank in advance.

Rev. David Kline
Valley View Baptist Church
Eureka Springs, AR
479-253-5714

mdavis
09-22-2006, 01:24 AM
How many square feet is the parking lot?

Raven386
09-22-2006, 01:46 AM
im gonna guess he meant 20,000

kline5
09-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Ya, 20,000 sq ft. approx. Sorry about that.

mdavis
09-22-2006, 11:56 AM
What kind of sprayer did you buy off one of your members?? hand or hydralic agitator?? trailor or truck mounted?? I assume the guy told you to figure in about 10pounds a gallon when the sealer is diluted is the reason i ask. if it is hand crank your going to need some young strong guys to keep it cranked for you. Do you guys have leafe blowers available?? is there any pot holes in the parking lot?

kline5
09-22-2006, 12:39 PM
The unit is trailer mounted, has a gas engine powered agittator. Yes, we have leaf blowers available. No potholes, just a small crack down the middle of the lot. I've been trying to keep the grass/weeds killed back with Roundup.
Thanks for reply.

mdavis
09-22-2006, 12:43 PM
How deep are the cracks and width of them?

kline5
09-22-2006, 01:01 PM
They are less than 1/2 in wide, but don't know how deep.

mdavis
09-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Did he happen to have a hot crack machine when u bought the stuff off of him?

kline5
09-22-2006, 03:29 PM
No, I'm afraid he had already sold it to someone else. We will have to find another way to fill the cracks. We were debating the idea of heating tar in a metal bucket over a camp stove and then drizzlng it into the crack.

NPCA
09-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Don't do that. You would be better with a cold-applied material. Using a torch that way will ruin the material and leave you with a gooey mess that will stay a gooey mess.
You might want to visit our consumer information site at http://www.pavementpro.org and read some of the sealcoating specifications and articles and while it's not a "how to" it will help you get an idea of what you'll be needing to do, application rates, mixing, etc.

kline5
09-25-2006, 11:07 AM
hey, thanks, NPCA, I found some very helpful information at your website.
We are planning to clean up the lot this Thursday and then go up next Mon, Oct. 2nd to get the product and begin spraying the lot the next day. I'm anxious to see how everything goes.

Oh, by the way, what do you guys use to block the overspray around stopblocks and curbs ans such? A piece of plywood?

mdavis
09-27-2006, 10:11 AM
a piece of plywod will work although if your going to have to hodl it a long time it will get heavy, we use a piece of aluminum.