PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone stocked a small pond with game fish?

Az Gardener
09-22-2006, 07:26 PM
I have a client who wants to change his "kiddie pool" to a pond and possibly stock it with trout and bass for fresh fish and entertainment for his young grand kids. The thing is about the size of a hot tub, talk about shooting fish in a barrel. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation, or wild/native fish in a small space? The pool is about 7X7 and 3ft deep.

crawdad
09-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Trout prefer cold water, try catfish.

LindblomRJ
09-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Catfash maybe bluegill. If the pond was big enrough you could walk out to your back yard and catch dinner. Trout like cold water.

Pro-Scapes
09-23-2006, 09:37 AM
we have sucessfully kept catfish in a 100gal aquarium in our home for 2 years now. Do not over feed them and I would at LEAST double to filter system.

With 100 gallons we run 2 whisper 40-60 filters... a fluval 404 canister and undergravel filters... as long as you dont over feed them they should stay reasonable in size and clean. I know a tank is different from a pond but you can keep them in a small area. In 2 years they are about 10 inches long. In a large pond or river same fish would be much larger.

We have kept bass and bluegill for sometime too but the cats finally ate em.

papaseven
09-23-2006, 10:20 AM
As far as gamefish ,you might get away with catfish.
In an area that small you'll never get two or more species to cohabitate.

As far as fresh fish goes he better head to the market. Even blue or flathead fingerlings are gonna take a couple of years to get to eating size in that small pond.
Bluegill or Bass grow faster but both are extremely aggressive feeders.
Course the kids may have fun watching them eat themselves into extinction:laugh:

Az Gardener
09-25-2006, 10:26 AM
I think his thought is more like getting mature fish and keeping them in the pond for short periods of time say 30 days or less. I don't know if he plans on catching in the wild and putting them in the pond or buying them from game and fish or what. Catfish are out of the question as he is Jewish. Bass or Trout are readily available around here so thats probably what we are looking at.

I think my question is answered, yes they will be ok for short periods of time. Not so good for raising fish.