PDA

View Full Version : I have been looking at a Cat 287 soft track and Fecon mulcher

MikeAtv
09-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi . I've been looking at a Cat 287 To use to clear lots fence rows etc.I also am looking at bying a stump grinder aswell as a bucket.Does anybody have a opinion on these two Machines?I red on another thread that the stuble will where out the rubber tracks.

minimax
09-22-2006, 08:28 PM
On a mini x with a mower they get less that a 1000 hours tops and a mini moves a whole lot less,my mini swings a 38' swath in one pass

MikeAtv
09-22-2006, 08:52 PM
On a mini x with a mower they get less that a 1000 hours tops and a mini moves a whole lot less,my mini swings a 38' swath in one pass
How stable is it on hills?

minimax
09-22-2006, 10:55 PM
I can work on slopes sideways up to 35 degrees ,working up and down and using the blade for more support I have worked 45 degrees with the mower on I can work on more of a slope without the mower on it weights about 1000 lbs, if all you are going to do is mowing I would get a 50 size machine.

Gravel Rat
09-22-2006, 11:25 PM
A mini on slopes is far safer than a skid steer on slopes. If your cutting along fences etc a mini can work closer than a skidsteer. Also in a mini you can see where you are going and what you are cutting.

Also a mini can be used for other jobs a skid steer isn't as usefull as a mini. If you are going to be working around fences you may end up with jobs repairing them ie digging holes for new fence posts.

Dirty Water
09-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Also a mini can be used for other jobs a skid steer isn't as usefull as a mini. If you are going to be working around fences you may end up with jobs repairing them ie digging holes for new fence posts.

Yeah, because a Skid Steer with an auger isn't nearly as usefull as a mini-excavator on fence repair.

And yes, I know you can fit augers to excavators.

:hammerhead:

minimax
09-23-2006, 12:23 AM
You can find any thing under the sun brush mowing, try running a tv through that $25,000 because you can see it,P.S I did not mow the tv but you would never see it on a skid steer in 4' to 5' foot brush

minimax
09-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Here's a pic. mowing in the woods.

Gravel Rat
09-23-2006, 07:14 PM
How much are you going to use a auger probably not much where as digging post holes with a mini isn't as smooth and clean hole but it does the job. Also if your in a area with coarse soil augers don't do well with basket ball sized rocks.

You look at the pictures minimax posted how are you going to do jobs like that with a skid steer.

I know in my area brush hides allot of things like deep holes or a huge rock that you didn't know what was there. In some peoples back yards theres old junk people have forgot about its been grown over things like old engine blocks or chunks of steel etc.

ksss
09-24-2006, 07:54 PM
I could see how you could make an arguement to have both a skid steer mounted machine and one on a miniex. My question with the mini ex is do they create enough flow to cut well or is it a slow process. The skid steers generate up to 40 GPM and a mini ex does well if it can hit 18 most are less. I think I would rather use a mini if your cutting around full grown trees. I would think you could do a cleaner job with a mini when working around obstacles. I have priced the cutters from US mower for a mini ex and they were reasonable at around 5 K as I recall. It might be a more cost effective way to enter the market rather than start off with a 25K cutter and high flow skid steer. If you already have a mini ex for about 5 K you can enter that business. If the work is there you can a skid steer cutter if you have a need.

minimax
09-25-2006, 12:01 AM
A skid steer is faster when it comes to a large flat or gently rolling ground,but when it comes to bumpy ground,stumps,downed overgrown wood or logs,perk holes:dizzy: (not fun in a skid),rocks,ditchs,roadsides,limbing,embankmens, mowing on the other side of a fence or guard rails,standing trees,ponds, very high brush 10' and up( skids go under more than over) and I could go on and on.I'm not saying skids are bad I'm going to buy one my self down the road.For speed I do anywhere from 1/2 acre to 5 acres a day of brush I can do more if it is grass or weeds.

minimax

MikeAtv
09-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Minimax what size mini track ho do you have.I don't have very much expereance with one but i have used a back ho and a Cat 312.

minimax
09-25-2006, 10:04 AM
It's a deere 35c ZTS