PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever roll a track off a mini excavator?

IronRanger
09-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Hello, I am new here, looking to see if anyone has ever rolled a track off a mini excavator. I rolled one off a Kubota mini excavator today, 4 miles in the woods working on a very remote property with no road access. I am wondedring what has to be done to get this back on. Any

IronRanger
09-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Any help would be appreciated, by the way it rolled off the drive sprocket side of it to the inside.

TURF DOCTOR
09-22-2006, 11:39 PM
give it a little some one can help sounds like a mess.

minimax
09-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Let grease out of the idler cylinder pry the track back on and refill the grease cylinder

IronRanger
09-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you go about letting the grease out and what type do you put back in there. I am not really familiar with this machine, but I am pretty good with mechanical stuff. Does anyone know of a site that has the diagram of it?

Dirty Water
09-23-2006, 12:06 AM
It takes the same grease you use to grease the pins :)

I usually end up removing the zirk from the idler cylinder and using a pry bar or ramming it into something that won't move :)

minimax
09-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Inside the track frame there will be a bolt with a grease Zerk in the end of it,loosen the nut NOT THE ZERK to let the grease out,that will let the idler slide back into the track frame,pry the track back on,tighten up the nut and use a grease gun to add grease to tighten the track back up.check your manual for track sag.

tylermckee
09-23-2006, 01:41 AM
Like said let the grease out, get a few ~6' 2x4's to pry it on with. If you are in deep mud it really helps to lay some boards under the track so you can slide it around while putting it back on.

Construct'O
09-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Swing boom over the side where the track is off and use the the boom and bucket to raise the machine.Then use the travel to move the track that is off.

You will have to have help to get track started on sprocket .Do the remove grease thing first .Boom makes for great hydaulic jack !

ksss
09-23-2006, 12:43 PM
My experience has been the bigger the mini the more fun it will be getting the tracks on. I threw both tracks while working at the waters edge near a river this summer. The easiest way to have even more fun than strapping 800 pound rubber bands to your excavator is to be standing in knee deep water and doing it.

Dirty Water
09-23-2006, 12:52 PM
It only gets worse then they are steel, I watched a 200 sized excavator spin a track off on a landclearing job.

tylermckee
09-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Its not bad getting the tracks back on a full size machine if you have some experience (as in running a machine with a worn out undercairage). Hopefully you catch it early enough that its not sitting beside you, and if you get even luckier it will be spun off to the inside. If you have a thumb you can chain the tracks to the thumb and turn run the tracks while moving the thumb, you might have to reposition the chains on the tracks a few times but its worked for me damn near every time, and i can do it solo. getting the tracks back on a mini is a piece of cake

tylermckee
09-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Swing boom over the side where the track is off and use the the boom and bucket to raise the machine.Then use the travel to move the track that is off.

You will have to have help to get track started on sprocket .Do the remove grease thing first .Boom makes for great hydaulic jack !

TO add to that he said, dont raise the machine any higher then you need to to get the track under the machine, keep as much weight of tracks on the ground. And like i said a few short 2x4's under the track running perpendicular to the track will make it much easier to slide the track around.

Gravel Rat
09-23-2006, 06:55 PM
So I assume you must have had a branch get into the sproket and it walked the track off ?

Having a helper will make things easier one person to use a bar and another to be in the machine.

I have ran machines that the tracks are so worn the sproket skips and jumps in the track chain. Some machines the track chains droop over the top rollers and rubs on the track frame.

A good habit to get into is picking the machine up and spin it on its heals. Its a little harder to do with a mini that probably doesn't have good travel pedals or no pedals at all just two sticks.

Dirt Digger2
09-23-2006, 09:15 PM
i rolled a track off a takeuchi compact track loader before...let all the pressure out and with a digging bar and a little force you can pop it back on...its almost a 2 man job, 1 on the digging bar and one on the forward/reverse controls

IronRanger
09-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the help, it is greatly appreciated. I did just as said and they went. on real easy. There is no way I would have figured this out without you guys. Thanks again.

Keith

RockSet N' Grade
09-23-2006, 11:25 PM
:drinkup: IronRanger......
The one thing these guys didn't tell you is that they charge for this kinda advise. That will be, hmmmm, you buy the first round!:drinkup: :cool2:

minimax
09-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Ironranger, how long did it take to walk(drive) the trackhoe 4 miles???and what size of trackhoe? Happy we could help

minimax

Dirty Water
09-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Ironranger, how long did it take to walk(drive) the trackhoe 4 miles???and what size of trackhoe? Happy we could help

minimax

That would be awefull, most have a 2 mph speed on their high setting.

K&M
09-26-2006, 01:08 AM
FYI: You need to check the other track to make sure that it is still "stretched” in the machines specs......I'm sure you don't want to repeat that again...

MikeAtv
09-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Does the tracks come off on the on the minis alot?

Dirty Water
09-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Does the tracks come off on the on the minis alot?

No, I've never managed to throw one accidently.

A lot of depends on the operator. A lot of rookies counterrotate tracks when you should lift the ex up with the bucket and spin on the heels of the tracks.

Also, watching for debris entering the track when walking the maching is important.