PDA

View Full Version : Purchased the most stolen equipment in the industry

Green-Pro
09-24-2006, 09:54 AM
We are finally moving out of the equipment rental hassle and purchased a skid steer. We had been using a small tractor (not good for the heavy work of hardscapes) and renting skid steers, mini ex, when needed.

Not brand new but still an overall nice machine: 1995 Bobcat 773, 46 HP Kubota diesel, 1200 hours, forks, heavy duty bucket. Company we purchased from will deliver Monday afternoon so I'll post some pics then. They completely strip the machine down, refurbish any bushings, pins, hoses, lines, add new tires, etc. They take all panels and removables sections of the machine apart and repaint and decal. Paid $13100 for the skid steer with the bucket and forks. Looking forward to more efficient use of time and equipment.
Wait until you guys see the pics, very clean machine, like I said will post Monday, because it will be getting used Tuesday :cool2:

Mike33
09-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I might be wrong but i dont see where that is a super deal. One thing the machine is 11 years old. I have a 185 enlosed cab, heat, and air with 1700 hours. I was thinking on trading but im going to wait to spring and just buy a new machine and keep this one. Any way my dealer told me my machine might be worth 15,000 tops. New paint and decals are nice but get a few battle scars and the machine made you money. Im sure you know the 185 replaced the 773.
Mike

Dirty Water
09-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Mike, I think location is everything. Out here things are astronomicly priced used too. I've been excavator shopping, and a 10 year old mini ex will still set me back close to 20k.

Green-Pro
09-24-2006, 12:29 PM
I might be wrong but i dont see where that is a super deal. One thing the machine is 11 years old. I have a 185 enlosed cab, heat, and air with 1700 hours. I was thinking on trading but im going to wait to spring and just buy a new machine and keep this one. Any way my dealer told me my machine might be worth 15,000 tops. New paint and decals are nice but get a few battle scars and the machine made you money. Im sure you know the 185 replaced the 773.
Mike

Wait until I post the pics before passing judgment. Jon hit the nail right on the head with his post. I've been looking for a while now and most 1995 machines are $3 to $4k higher than what I paid and not anywhere near the condition. Heck I've seen 1992 thru 1994 models around here sell for nearly $14k that look like they are ready for the scrap heap. I have run the machine and can tell you it is a solid well running piece of equipment. I can further assure you that there are very few times in my life when I've been "taken". Whether you choose to believe that or not really doesn't matter to me though. BTW the machine does have heat, the pins are there for the cabdoor attachment, however it is minus the cab door, figured I'd take a stab at trying to fabricate a door for it this winter.
Tell you what though, since there are so many great deals on equipment where you are next time I'll consult you. Is it that difficult to just say a pleasant words or two to another member? I'm sorry mike but I notice there are very few around here you actually don't "speak" down to, at least you always preface it with a halfhearted apology as a preface.
Thanks for the comments anyway.
Jon how many hours would typically be on a machine for that kind of dough?

Dirty Water
09-24-2006, 12:36 PM

2,000 or so. This is for a 50 size machine.

A smaller machine you can get for between 10-15k but hours range wildly, none of have less than 2,000.

I'm trying to find a starter machine so I can move into small utility excavation without financing out 55k for a new kubota.

Scag48
09-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Jon, if you were willing to buy a <3 ton machine, you could get something for $15K, but you're looking for a 50 class right? If so, I'd say you're dead on, $20K is about what you'll have to spend.

Have you found anything at Kitsap Farm and Garden that struck your fancy?

Back to the original thread, I'd say you got an average deal. Sure location means a lot, but a "steal" for that machine would have been $10,000. However, I don't think you overpaid whatsoever and if the machine is going to be cleaned up like you say, it should be a good performer. You paid about what the machine is worth, but getting the machine cleaned up for free basically.

Dirty Water
09-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Jon, if you were willing to buy a <3 ton machine, you could get something for $15K, but you're looking for a 50 class right? If so, I'd say you're dead on, $20K is about what you'll have to spend.

Have you found anything at Kitsap Farm and Garden that struck your fancy?

Not really, been watching some Hitachi's.

I really hate backhoe sticks, but finding a greymarket machine with pilots is hard to find.

Mike33
09-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Wait until I post the pics before passing judgment. Jon hit the nail right on the head with his post. I've been looking for a while now and most 1995 machines are $3 to $4k higher than what I paid and not anywhere near the condition. Heck I've seen 1992 thru 1994 models around here sell for nearly $14k that look like they are ready for the scrap heap. I have run the machine and can tell you it is a solid well running piece of equipment. I can further assure you that there are very few times in my life when I've been "taken". Whether you choose to believe that or not really doesn't matter to me though. BTW the meehine does have heat, the pins are there for the cabdoor attachment, however it is minus the cab door, figured I'd take a stab at trying to fabricate a door for it this winter.
Tell you what though, since there are so many great deals on equipment where you are next time I'll consult you. Is it that difficult to just say a pleasant words or two to another member? I'm sorry mike but I notice there are very few around here you actually don't "speak" down to, at least you always preface it with a halfhearted apology as a preface.
Thanks for the comments anyway.
I guess i figure we are all big boys here and dont get our feelings hurt easy. You made a post i responded, my opionon of my experience in my area. Yes, i do agree everything is based on location. For whats its worth im not giving an apolgy but good luck with your new machine, i was not speaking down on you for purchase .
Mike

Mike33
09-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Mike, I think location is everything. Out here things are astronomicly priced used too. I've been excavator shopping, and a 10 year old mini ex will still set me back close to 20k.
I agree location is everything. Im surprised in your areas new bobcats would be cheaper since there built close there.
Mike

Scag48
09-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Not really, been watching some Hitachi's.

I really hate backhoe sticks, but finding a greymarket machine with pilots is hard to find.

I hear you on those backhoe sticks, but like you say for $15K you can't quite find what you want. I'd check back often here, they're always updating machines and they push a lot of greys. www.darlingsons.com

EDIT: Actually, I just found an '03 Hitachi grey, AX30 with 1400 hours for $22,000. Pilots, steel tracks with rubber inserts. Check 'em out.
http://www.darlingsons.com/excavators/id885.htm There it is.

Green-Pro
09-24-2006, 04:25 PM
I guess i figure we are all big boys here and dont get our feelings hurt easy. You made a post i responded, my opionon of my experience in my area. Yes, i do agree everything is based on location. For whats its worth im not giving an apolgy but good luck with your new machine, i was not speaking down on you for purchase .
Mike

He!! my feelings don't get hurt that dang easily Mike LOL! I just get a sense of a lot of negativity in many of your posts. I mean you seem like an on the ball kind of fellow and I think you typically offer good/sound advice, just comes across as damn negative sometimes. I apologize if my previous post sounded like I was busting your chops or implied I had "hurt" feelings. I guess it seemed to me you implied I was easily duped into buying a machine simply because it had been shined up and painted. Yep I realize we are not on the cutting edge as far as the model, but an S185 around here with a couple thousand hours will easily run you 19k on up. When you want to sell your machine trailer here LOL! and do so you will make far more on it. As a business owner I'm sure you can appreciate budgets and staying within those constrains. This is what we are trying to do through the purchase of this machine. This guy should do everything we need it to do and yet won't break the bank.

Again though thanks for the comments. Scag48 I know exactly what you are saying about it not being a steal, but that was not the intent of my posting/starting this thread. Like I mentioned the tiny tractor and rental hassles we are getting away from make me very happy from an owners standpoint. Around here these machines will hold their value extremely well so it is rare to find that steal. The flip side of that is you nearly always get most or all of your money back out of the machine through use or timely resale.

Scag48
09-24-2006, 05:03 PM
You'll definately be happy with it for sure. Like I said, not a "steal", but a good deal that's for sure. As long as you think you got a good deal that's all that matters. I remember last year when I bought my car, I had had trucks throughout high school and going off to college in the city required me to buy a car mainly due to gas mileage. I bought a newer Audi and a bunch of my friends thought I got screwed on the deal, but having researched the purchase I knew exactly what it was worth and felt I got a pretty good deal on it. In the end, the only person that needs to think you got a good deal is yourself. If you sleep well at night that's all that really matters. Good luck with it!

Up North
09-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Congrats Geoff! Sounds like you're getting a "sound" machine. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Buck

ksss
09-24-2006, 07:46 PM
I think you kind of reach a point that the machine isn't going to depreciate much more than that if it is in good condition. I have been seeing late 90's 1845C's with low hours for 17K. As the new machines cost more, the value of the older machines increase as well. The larger initial hit was already taken and the machine has for the most part bottomed out. I spent two days in a 773 with foot controls over Labor day weekend helping my brother in law put in his yard in Mt. Honestly, I wouldn't give 6K to own one but that comes down to personal preference as far as deals go it sounds like you didn't get taken as long as it is mech. sound. You may want to buy some ear plugs.

Mike33
09-24-2006, 08:36 PM
He!! my feelings don't get hurt that dang easily Mike LOL! I just get a sense of a lot of negativity in many of your posts. I mean you seem like an on the ball kind of fellow and I think you typically offer good/sound advice, just comes across as damn negative sometimes. I apologize if my previous post sounded like I was busting your chops or implied I had "hurt" feelings. I guess it seemed to me you implied I was easily duped into buying a machine simply because it had been shined up and painted. Yep I realize we are not on the cutting edge as far as the model, but an S185 around here with a couple thousand hours will easily run you 19k on up. When you want to sell your machine trailer here LOL! and do so you will make far more on it. As a business owner I'm sure you can appreciate budgets and staying within those constrains. This is what we are trying to do through the purchase of this machine. This guy should do everything we need it to do and yet won't break the bank.

Again though thanks for the comments. Scag48 I know exactly what you are saying about it not being a steal, but that was not the intent of my posting/starting this thread. Like I mentioned the tiny tractor and rental hassles we are getting away from make me very happy from an owners standpoint. Around here these machines will hold their value extremely well so it is rare to find that steal. The flip side of that is you nearly always get most or all of your money back out of the machine through use or timely resale.
I never comment on anything that im not sure of, or have experience with weather it turned to be good or bad. I pound on what seems to be a bunch of kids on the hardscaping forum that makes a post that they are ready to go build a large srw and dont have a clue about what they are doing and want to know what to charge for it. This site is very enjoying and educational and i ask many questions my self. How ever it is not a vocational school by any means. As a small contractor i have been very impressed with the different price structures out of my area. I wished some of my customers could see this site and learn to appreciate the good deals they receive in our area. I just priced a new 185 like i have and my local dealer wants 29k for it.
mIKE

Green-Pro
09-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Congrats Geoff! Sounds like you're getting a "sound" machine. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Buck

Thanks Buck, been debating over getting a machine for a while now. Spring was busy with plant bed installs, planting trees, couple of patios and some wall work, of course mowing fert & squirt as well. This fall has been unbelievably busy and I'm finally to the point that I just can't become any more efficient without some ownership in a machine designed to do the work. This is as much for our customers sakes as ours. I will get pics up late Monday night, gonna be working extra late Monday.

Lots of corn coming out right now, beans as well, you know what that means? Mr. Browning and I will be chasing the Ringnecks down waterways and across CRP fields. :gunsfirin :gunsfirin you should come down for a hunt this fall, we have about 600 acres out the back door to hunt. Can't make that then plan for 1/13/2007 Iowa vs. Minnesota basketball game. We get seasons tickets I'll see if I can talk my CFO into giving hers up :laugh:

Green-Pro
09-24-2006, 11:27 PM
I think you kind of reach a point that the machine isn't going to depreciate much more than that if it is in good condition. I have been seeing late 90's 1845C's with low hours for 17K. As the new machines cost more, the value of the older machines increase as well. The larger initial hit was already taken and the machine has for the most part bottomed out. I spent two days in a 773 with foot controls over Labor day weekend helping my brother in law put in his yard in Mt. Honestly, I wouldn't give 6K to own one but that comes down to personal preference as far as deals go it sounds like you didn't get taken as long as it is mech. sound. You may want to buy some ear plugs.

I would suspect this is pretty much the case for heavy equipment everywhere in the U.S. as far as depreciation and value. The only variable I see is much like anything else, and as Mike 33 pointed out, region to region you will only pay/receive what that particular market will bear.

Green-Pro
09-24-2006, 11:37 PM
I never comment on anything that im not sure of, or have experience with weather it turned to be good or bad. I pound on what seems to be a bunch of kids on the hardscaping forum that makes a post that they are ready to go build a large srw and dont have a clue about what they are doing and want to know what to charge for it. This site is very enjoying and educational and i ask many questions my self. How ever it is not a vocational school by any means. As a small contractor i have been very impressed with the different price structures out of my area. I wished some of my customers could see this site and learn to appreciate the good deals they receive in our area. I just priced a new 185 like i have and my local dealer wants 29k for it.
mIKE

I understand completely what you are saying about the hardscaping forum, I don't for a second believe it is only limited to that one forum either. Some of the cockamamie B.S. some of these so called business men spew leaves little to the imagination as to the true shape of their "company". Now I am relatively new to the hardscaping also, but have asked for help, real help when neded from experienced contractors around my locale. I also try and stay with fairly small projects to help gain that experience.
Price structures are an amazing thing when brought to a comparison level region by region, what one market might bear quite well another may dump on that same item.
However I'm not so sure I want customers to really know about this site LOL! wink, wink, nudge, nudge. I may make out good on some services and maybe not so good on others.

jd270
09-25-2006, 05:05 PM
my buddy just bought a 2003 185 for just under 17,000 with 300 hours and full cab from the original owner and it had been for sale for awhile for 17,500here in cental ia

Green-Pro
09-25-2006, 10:15 PM
my buddy just bought a 2003 185 for just under 17,000 with 300 hours and full cab from the original owner and it had been for sale for awhile for 17,500here in cental ia

Sounds like your buddy did get a steal. I don't see anything close to that around here. Either farmers or contractors are owners of skids around here and generally they trade in or pick up a new lease on a yearly or every other year basis. Farmers and contractors that don't do this are running extremely old equipment. I really wasn't trying to make out like I thought I took this from the dealer. I am fully aware I did not over pay or under pay. The point is I'm a happy man getting away from renting or "borrowing" plus all of our equipment is paid for which means the dollars outside of maintenance and future replacement they are earning are for us. Here is just one example of a machine with a local dealer, this is what you will find at pretty much every dealer around this area.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5294282&dlr=1&guid=7AC0C2828D34435CA3EE808A7D07DC67

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5368086&dlr=1&guid=7AC0C2828D34435CA3EE808A7D07DC67

Green-Pro
09-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Here are a few pictures as promised, been a long day and the light in the shop isn't the greatest but here ya go. The machine runs out super nice, seat does have a couple of tears but this seems the norm for an older used machine. we picked up a used trailer for $1900. Looking forward to putting this guy to use in the a.m.

Thanks for replies fellas.

Green-Pro
09-25-2006, 10:25 PM
two more. again thanks for the replies.

RockSet N' Grade
09-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Congrats! Remember to grease it, check your fluids more than usual and make sure they are holding. Each machine has its own personality, may this one have a great one and serve you well.

Green-Pro
09-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Congrats! Remember to grease it, check your fluids more than usual and make sure they are holding. Each machine has its own personality, may this one have a great one and serve you well.

Thanks I am pretty anal when it comes to machine maintenance, and for sure each machine does have its own personality LOL!

olderthandirt
09-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Geoff
Put the machine to work and pay for it in a months time, after the cost of maintenence your way a head of the game at that point, no matter how much you payed. Renting sucks, its nice to have your equipment when you want it and for as long as you need it. Only dead lines are how fast you want to get onto the next money maker.

Green-Pro
09-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Geoff
Put the machine to work and pay for it in a months time, after the cost of maintenence your way a head of the game at that point, no matter how much you payed. Renting sucks, its nice to have your equipment when you want it and for as long as you need it. Only dead lines are how fast you want to get onto the next money maker.

Thats the plan Mac, renting does suck in the big picture but served its purpose at the start. I've got the work lined up, and I am 100% certain this is going to help us to be more efficient overall.

Thanks for the advice. You still on summer vacation or is it tie for "winter" work yet? LOL!

olderthandirt
09-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Thats the plan Mac, renting does suck in the big picture but served its purpose at the start. I've got the work lined up, and I am 100% certain this is going to help us to be more efficient overall.

Thanks for the advice. You still on summer vacation or is it tie for "winter" work yet? LOL!

Biketoberfest in 3 weeks :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Green-Pro
09-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Biketoberfest in 3 weeks :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Ha, Ha, Have fun! Us new and not so young guys still gotta pound it out :hammerhead: Been so dang busy this year, achieved a lot of goals, but i am ready for some down time. Got some home projects to tend to, will post some before and after pics if I don't get froze ot first.

Up North
09-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Looks great Geoff! Looks like a fresh coat of paint and appears to have been well maintained. Congrats and get to work!

And yes, I'd love to make it down for a hunt this fall. I'm a full time student (I know, I know, I'm a bit old for that...:rolleyes: ) now so will have to see what the schedule holds. Otherwise, maybe that BB game will work out...IF your CFO is allowed to go the mall that day. I'll keep you posted.

Again, congrats!

Buck

Dirty Water
09-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Thats a nice clean machine.

Remember to keep your load low:

http://www.rvi.net/~dvance/05-30-06_2017.jpg

And don't hire this moron:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/187741/bobcat_loader_handstand/

Mike33
09-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Looks very nice, hope you make a lot of money with it.
Mike

olderthandirt
09-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Looks great Geoff! Looks like a fresh coat of paint and appears to have been well maintained. Congrats and get to work!

And yes, I'd love to make it down for a hunt this fall. I'm a full time student (I know, I know, I'm a bit old for that...:rolleyes: ) now so will have to see what the schedule holds. Otherwise, maybe that BB game will work out...IF your CFO is allowed to go the mall that day. I'll keep you posted.

Again, congrats!

Buck

Hey Buck, so you get invited to a hunt you can't make and Geoff never mentioned it to me :cry: I think some of my dogs are still in his state putting up and retrieving birds :) But I guess I'll never have the oppertunity to find out :walking:

Green-Pro
09-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for replies fellas. Buck nothing wrong with being a student at any age as far as that goes. Stop broadening your horizons and you may as well have one foot in the pine box. Give me a shout if ya want to try the bird hunt or game, I'll send ya a PM.
Mac you can come out for a bird hunt anytime, but better hope all that vacation time doesn't slow your reflexes or We'll be shooting the birds out from under ya. The phesants are slow and big like flying watermelons but those quail are extremely fast.

Up North
09-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey Buck, so you get invited to a hunt you can't make and Geoff never mentioned it to me :cry: I think some of my dogs are still in his state putting up and retrieving birds :) But I guess I'll never have the oppertunity to find out :walking:

I think those dogs are still chasing all the birds you missed!:laugh: And who said I CAN'T make it??? I've got a tight schedule but I've been known to widen it for a hunt'n trip or two.:)

Buck

olderthandirt
09-27-2006, 06:29 PM
I think those dogs are still chasing all the birds you missed!:laugh: And who said I CAN'T make it??? I've got a tight schedule but I've been known to widen it for a hunt'n trip or two.:)

Buck

I may be old fat and slow but that just means I can't miss and never do :laugh: I suppose you want to use a shotgun? I say 45 acp on the flying water melons and 22 on the quall. Head shots only as we don't want to waste any meat.

but better hope all that vacation time doesn't slow your reflexes or We'll be shooting the birds out from under ya

You must wait till they take flight Geoff then we can test my reflexes and accuracy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Up North
09-27-2006, 09:30 PM
I may be old fat and slow but that just means I can't miss and never do :laugh: I suppose you want to use a shotgun? I say 45 acp on the flying water melons and 22 on the quall. Head shots only as we don't want to waste any meat.

You must wait till they take flight Geoff then we can test my reflexes and accuracy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mac, we're talking about "live" birds, not the ones you're familiar with at the grocery store...:laugh: And you want to use guns???? I was think more along the lines of a sling shot.:)

Buck

olderthandirt
09-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Mac, we're talking about "live" birds, not the ones you're familiar with at the grocery store...:laugh: And you want to use guns???? I was think more along the lines of a sling shot.:)

Buck

Good, it's more age appropriate:laugh:

Up North
09-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Good, it's more age appropriate:laugh:

LOL! Yeah I guess so.

Buck

Green-Pro
09-27-2006, 10:21 PM

Buck

Hate to say it Buck but slingshots are for girls, I prefer the davy crocket method (yep just like for baers) and grin 'em down.

Anyway the season opens Oct. 28 so you guys pick a weekend to hunt, I can make my schedule flexible. As you can see there is still a good deal of corn & beans to come out yet. Corn is drying down fast with this dang wind. Hunting is literally out the back door.

That last pic is the first day we had the "new" to us machine. We are on a project that will be ongoing all fall, up until freeze. 5 retaining walls, 22' diameter patio with a 18' diameter interlaced patio (clear as mud?) final grade on lot (sub-contracted), sod back and ready all plant beds for spring. Spring we come back and seed, install plants. The house is built into a hillside, had major water issues, we planned on installing a french drain, but I saw the homeowners father-in-law had some equipment out there. We overkilled I'm sure but there will be no water issues now. 11' deep trench about 150' long 11" tile at the bottom, clean fill to about 2 - 3' from the top, 6" tile then filled. Anyway our new piece of equipment will be doing a considerable amount of work out here this fall.

Enough of my rambling, back on topic. It is my considered opinion that neither one of ya'll could hit a fat woman in the arse with a banjo. Seeings how I'm a good sport though, if youguys can get here for a hunt I may let you in on a few of my "what every man needs to know about being handy with a shotgun" secrets. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gatewayuser
09-27-2006, 10:42 PM
You have the same trailer as me, Pj right.
I have the ramp sides though.
Nice skid loader, enjoy!

Green-Pro
09-27-2006, 10:59 PM
You have the same trailer as me, Pj right.
I have the ramp sides though.
Nice skid loader, enjoy!

yep they are nice trailers IMO, a bit pricier than the first one I bought but much better built. Thanks for comment, I love the notion already of not wasting time going back and forth to rental. Only problem now is I'm outgrowing my shop :cry: I built bigger than I had originally planned and glad I did. We are starting to feel cramped in there though.

Something tells me the Chief Financial Officer will put the brakes on shop enlargement LOL!

olderthandirt
09-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Why did you Purchased the most stolen equipment in the industry

Hell I would of stole it and still might :laugh:

Green-Pro
09-28-2006, 06:49 AM
Why did you

Hell I would of stole it and still might :laugh:

Thanks for starting my day off with a :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I did because I over insured it, if it does get swiped I can spend more money on the next one. Only an extra couple bucks for insurance premium buys me about another 5k - 8k of replacemnet value.

P.S. Thats why your friggin insurance rates are so high, I've been busier milking the system than working LOL!

Up North
09-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks for starting my day off with a :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I did because I over insured it, if it does get swiped I can spend more money on the next one. Only an extra couple bucks for insurance premium buys me about another 5k - 8k of replacemnet value.

P.S. Thats why your friggin insurance rates are so high, I've been busier milking the system than working LOL!

LOL! Well if I make it down maybe you'll have to be replacing that Bobcat and a trailer!!:laugh:

Looks like rooster rustling is not far off!

Buck

olderthandirt
09-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Make sure your Ins. is paid up to date :)

Why do you think I get so much vcation? People will pay over 13K for a nice piece of equipment :drinkup: