PDA

View Full Version : Cable size

devans175
09-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I am in the process digging a trench to burry some electric cable to a shed at the back of my yard. I figured "while I'm at it" I'd like to burry some low voltage cable for some landscape lighting that I plan to put in the back of my yard some day. I want to uplight some trees. The furthest fixture will be about 150 feet from the house. There will be 3 or 4 fixtures. Can someone recomend a cable size and a good fixture to use to uplight large trees?

scholzee
09-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Maybe try posting in the landscaping lighting section
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117
Most low voltage ligths use a transformer that takes 120 vac and lowers it. Would it make sense to have the transformer in the sheds 120v and run the low voltage wires to the trees ? I am not sure of the recommendations but you do not want very long runs of the low voltage wire.

devans175
09-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I wasn't sure if I should post on the landscape lighting forum. It looked like it was intended for business owners....

I understand your point about running the lights off the 120 v AC in the shed, but then I still need to run a cable to control the lights.... or run a separate 120 v AC circuit.... that would be costly, copper is expensive, especially outdoor rated 12/2....

The ultimate lighting plan is to have 4 or 5 low voltage circuits branched off of a transformer with a keypad controller.... but I haven't had time to research all that. I just wanted to burry the cable for the longest branch, since I'll have the ground opened... this weekend...

Thanks for the advice, maybe I'll just post on the landscape lighting forum....