PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Replacing Recoil Starter Rope

sunedog
09-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I have a Craftsman 536.772300 edger (4 HP, 9 inch if that matters). The recoil starter rope broke. I pulled the side cover off and can thread the rope back in and I can wind it back up, but there's no resistance from the spring. The pulley spins freely in either direction. When I re-install it, if I pull the rope to start the engine, the rope doesn't recoil.

I have the manual and it includes a diagram of the recoil starter assembly, but I don't see how to wind it with string resistance. Do I need to just replace the entire assembly? Any help would be appreciated.

Restrorob
09-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Sounds like your recoil spring is broken or the tang on the end is bent straight.
Always rotate the recoil pulley counterclockwise as far as it will go then back it off just enough to align the rope hole with the hole in the cover.

Feed the rope through both holes and tie your knot then let the spring roll the rope up on the pulley. But hold on to the end of the rope good because it could snatch it out of your hand then pull it up inside in which you would have to start all over.

The Sears site is down for repairs so I can't see which style recoil assembly you have but will keep checking, The numbers you posted, Are they off the unit or the engine ? If not the engine post the engine numbers.

sunedog
09-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Sounds like your recoil spring is broken or the tang on the end is bent straight. Always rotate the recoil pulley counterclockwise as far as it will go then back it off just enough to align the rope hole with the hole in the cover.

It just spins freely infinitely. Does sound like the spring is broken. Funny, I just felt the rope break. Not the spring.

The Sears site is down for repairs so I can't see which style recoil assembly you have but will keep checking, The numbers you posted, Are they off the unit or the engine ? If not the engine post the engine numbers.

They are from the complete unit. The rewind starter assembly part number is 590732 and the engine number is 143.984001.

Thanks for your time!

Restrorob
09-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Funny, I just felt the rope break. Not the spring.

You wouldn't feel the spring break, What happens is when the rope breaks the pulley spins so fast in the clockwise direction to retract the rope that without the rope installed it travels past the neutral point and either snaps the tang off the end of the spring or straightens it out. Then it will no longer hook to the pulley so it can be re-wound.

Also one that does not know which direction to rotate the pulley to re-load the spring tension can do the same thing.

I couldn't find a on-line break-down on this assembly, But I do have one at the shop. I will check and see if you can get just the spring, I'm pretty sure you can on this one and post the part # around lunch time.

The assemblies I did find on line were from $ 38/ 45.....

newz7151
09-24-2006, 11:56 PM
I couldn't find a on-line break-down on this assembly, But I do have one at the shop. I will check and see if you can get just the spring, I'm pretty sure you can on this one and post the part # around lunch time.

The assemblies I did find on line were from $ 38/ 45.....

Looks like the only way it is avail. is as a pulley and spring assy.

The part number for the pulley and spring assy is 590700 which shows a sears price of $18.99 plus shipping.

(rob, to find the breakdown of the recoil assy on the Sears site, use the assy part number 590732 as the "model" number.)

Restrorob
09-25-2006, 08:00 AM
(rob, to find the breakdown of the recoil assy on the Sears site, use the assy part number 590732 as the "model" number.)

Well newz, Looks like I owe you another one !!!
Thanks a bunch for the tip.....

sunedog
09-25-2006, 08:58 AM
OK. I'll order the pulley and rewind spring assembly. Any hints on removing the original so I can replace it? I couldn't find any fasteners holding the rewind starter assembly together.

(The following will only make sense if you have access to the exploded drawing of the rewind starter assembly.) From the drawing in the manual, I am suspecting the spring pin (PN 590599A) is a press fit into the retainer (PN 590696). Looks like I have to pry that out to swap pulleys.

Thanks to both of you!

newz7151
09-25-2006, 11:34 AM
OK. I'll order the pulley and rewind spring assembly. Any hints on removing the original so I can replace it? I couldn't find any fasteners holding the rewind starter assembly together.

(The following will only make sense if you have access to the exploded drawing of the rewind starter assembly.) From the drawing in the manual, I am suspecting the spring pin (PN 590599A) is a press fit into the retainer (PN 590696). Looks like I have to pry that out to swap pulleys.

Thanks to both of you!

Looks right. Might want to order the spring pin too just in case you mess the other one up taking it apart.

And as far as ordering the parts, you may want to find a Tecumseh dealer near you to order the parts from. The $18.99 price that Sears is showing is like $2.90 over list price, plus their shipping is usually higher than what a Tecumseh dealer would probably charge you for special order shipping.

sunedog
10-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Follow up: Fixed it this weekend. Turns out the spring wasn't broken. When I got it dis-assembled further, I discovered the tang at the end of the spring came loose from the anchor point. It wasn't straightened. It just wasn't seated in the notch. Put it back together carefully and I am good to go. Thanks for your help!