PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some Dump Trailer pics.

S3Scooter
09-24-2006, 05:12 PM
I am lookingf for som pics or leaf setups on a dump trailer. I am having some problums getting mine setting mine up.

S3

FearThisDeere
09-24-2006, 11:38 PM
You are in luvk. My dad and I just completley outfitted out dump trailer. I'll take some pics and post them. I don't use it as a leaf set up, but you can get a good idea of it.

N&CLandscaping
09-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Lets see it Feerthisdeer

FearThisDeere
09-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Pics are here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=1560621&posted=1#post1560621

I was just too tired last night to resize them!

GFX
09-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Not mine but a nice setup though so I decided to save the pic.

S3Scooter
09-26-2006, 08:01 PM
thanks guys, thats just what I'm looking for. Any body else. keep them comming.

Scott

DBL
09-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Not mine but a nice setup though so I decided to save the pic.

thats a good one for leaves

S3Scooter
09-29-2006, 10:24 PM
What my problum is, is that I am trying to mount the biggest Billy Goat vac on my 10' Bri-Mar Rascal dump trailer. I have been having a hard time, finding the right place. My welder told me that it was too heavy to mount on the rear, It's too big to mount on the front?????

Scott

FearThisDeere
09-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Can you make a frame for it to sit on the front?

S3Scooter
09-30-2006, 08:48 PM
The hydrolics are on the front so I would have to mount it over them, and the vac is 74 " tall. The box on the trailer would be too big.

Let me run this idea bay any one though. They make a recever mount hitch for this unit. If I were to buy a hitch, and have it welded to the back of the trailer just like on a truck, slide in the recever mount and their I go.

Scott

elmo1537
10-01-2006, 12:43 AM
the only problem i see is it will be a royal pain in the a#$ when you want to dump the leaves you have spent all day putting in the trailer. You will have to take the leaf vac off.

FearThisDeere
10-01-2006, 11:43 AM
^^^ That is about all I can think would be the problem with that. I really like that idea if you don't mind takeing off the vac.

Willofalltrades
10-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Fearthisdeere my friend just bought the same trailer you have a week ago. How do you like it? Any problems I should warn him about? Sorry for being off topic.

FearThisDeere
10-02-2006, 10:04 PM
I love it! I have not had one problem in over a year and half of use. It is never empty. I sued to dump it 2-3 times a week, now about once every 8 days with the new sides. Everything has held up really good. Keep it washed regularly to try to keep it from pitting, but it will rust, especially up here in New England getting used in the salt. Other than that just be really careful with the gate. It is more flimsy than it looks. Mine has a pretty good bend in it. It drags on the ground in the "tailgate" configuration. It does OK in "spreader" mode, but it doesn't make a very high pile, so you have to drive forward a lot and sometime things get stuck in between the gate and the bottom of the bed if you are dumping leaves and brush. Everything has it's little problem, but overall it is the best bang for the buck. Mine has the 12K GVW. I have never filled it up too much, but it seems to take all that I can throw at it. I would put Fluid Film on the bed, inside gate, top of the gate, and inside walls before the first dump. Once the rust starts, it is very hard to stop. Tell him good luck with it!

S3Scooter
10-03-2006, 12:05 PM
I may have forgot to mention that I would have him make it so it would swing out, and I would chain it out of the way.

I have the same problum with my gate draging, and I have a wheel under.

FearThisDeere
10-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Yeah, what is up with the gate dragging? I used to just use it in the spreader mode, but now with the tall sides I can't. I have to remove the whole gate and set it to the side to dump. It is kind of heeavy and a PITA to do by yourself. I don't get why the dealers have them this way. I even put on some chains to raise it and support it a few inches and it still drags. I can't raise it anymore it it won't dump!:hammerhead:

S3Scooter
10-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Bought a hitch mount last week, and my welder says he likes my idea. I take everything over to him the end of the week. Then I will have about a week to build a box before its time to start. I now am looking for pics of boxes on trailers.

I have to add another backpack blower or a walk behing blower, just not sure which one.

twj721
10-16-2006, 11:20 PM
how about this style not the right way for sure

DBL
10-16-2006, 11:36 PM
^ Knuckleheads

twj721
10-16-2006, 11:42 PM
actual it was not the drivers fault it was a load of Oklahoma red gravel which is sometimes more red clay than anything else they were split dumping the load on the road and driver started up with it and the load broke loose on one side and this is the results it happens even on flat level ground

DBL
10-17-2006, 12:46 PM
how old is that picture

twj721
10-17-2006, 03:07 PM
it was took between 1984 and 1986 can not remember, one of my friends ran the local wrecker in the area and he would always call when stuff like this happened

S3Scooter
10-21-2006, 09:06 PM
I Just went to my welders today, and it looks like it will be done the first of the week. I will have to get some pics., and try and post them.

LB1234
10-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Hope this works. See my pdf attachment in this previous thread. first time I'm attempting this link thing. If it doesn't work perform a search. Its a canvas top for my 14' dump trailer. Holds about 15 yards. Our loader is loaded on the back. We prefer it there. Makes access to the leaf piles even easier. Kinda gives you an extended reach. Mounted on the front of the trailer limits to were you are able to pick the leaf pile up at...just my opinion.

PM me with any specifics.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=121634&page=3

noseha
10-22-2006, 06:39 AM
i DON'T LIKE TO RUN A TRAILER BUT A LEAF TRUCK THAT WAY I CAN PULL ALL MY STUFF.

LB1234
10-22-2006, 01:18 PM
i DON'T LIKE TO RUN A TRAILER BUT A LEAF TRUCK THAT WAY I CAN PULL ALL MY STUFF.

Not to be an arse but...is the glass half empty or half full?

If the equipment is in the trailer the leaves are going in the truck or if the equipment is in the truck the leaves are going in the trailer.

noseha
10-22-2006, 02:01 PM
but with a dump truck you don't have to unload all your equipment to be spread all over the yard and you don't haul the trailer to dump and all your workers staying with all your equipment on the trailer(6'x10') at the job site. I'm lucky with my dump only 1 mile away. my second trip I back up to the pile, hook up my blower and suck one worker through out the whole thing. you spend time hooking your traiiler up and two workers backing it up and moving it around is so time consuming. most dump trailer are so much money where the cost (maint and up keep)may not be worth it for time used. If you buy a cheap one you spend a lot of time unloading half of it to dump. the weight on a trailer what if you have a wet year. how much window time are you spending with a load. more maintenance with more tires hauling a heavier load bigger truck to pull fully loaded trailer. I get away with a gas 3/4 ton to run mine you can buy a insert for under $2200 I'll still get paid per trip to dump at $40 over 10 miles plus $1 per mile to dump. how much do you make with your big trailer trips per cost (workers,gas,maint,cost,trailer plate,ins,etc.etc...so i quess we look at the glass a little bit differently

S3Scooter
10-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Wow, it really seams like you thought this through. It all comes down to what fits your business. Me personally, I use my truck to drive back and forth to my real job 55 miles each way. All that extra weight, and the wind resistance against the box really killed my fuel milege last year. I can haul more weight in a trailer, and use it to haul things like mulch, topsoil, compost, gravel, and for proerty clean ups the rest of the year. Sure, their are some clean ups that I would like to have my ZTR for, but most of the time a couple of blowers, rakes, gas cans, and a cooler fit fine in the bed of my truck. Your set up sound good too, but the bottom line is you got to go with what works for you. This is whay works for me.

S3

Pics. as soon as its complete.

noseha
10-22-2006, 07:13 PM
yes you are right

LB1234
10-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Agreed. Too each their own.

But for us the best combination is truck and trailer...that converts to a leaf trailer, equipment hauler, material hauler, waste hauler, etc.

Our dump trailer serves so many purposes. Granted, it doesn't excel at one particular area over something dedicated to that particular job, but it is extremely versatile.

I'm not sure were the opinion of the trailer costing too much comes into play. It cost us about 6,500 back in '02(?). In the 4 or so years that we've owened it it's basically cost me nothing to operate. We just started replacing the tires this year...at $125 a pop its 500 total. Only maintenance is the greasing of the axles every few months. If I have the time I rotate the tires for a little better tread wear. I've done nothing to the hydraulic system since I've bought it except add some fluid, once. We did need to replace the battery this year and I had to have the electric for the rear brakes re-run. I probablly could have done it but I didn't have the time so I paid someone to do it.

So in total it cost us about 1k over 4 or so years. I don't think $250/yr to keep a trailer running is that bad of a cost. I could also add the electricity it takes to charge the battery every few weeks but I figured that'll really be splitting hairs. Granted, now my truck is taking the beating of pulling the thing all over the place. So now my truck maintenance is higher. But that budgeted money comes out of my hourly/monthly fees.

As far as hooking it up taking that long...if it takes me 10 minutes that's a lot. It's really no big deal. A bit of a pain, yes, at times. But it isn't time consuming. AND...I can detach my trailer for it to get loaded while I take the truck out and run errands, go to another job, etc.

With the dump trailer being so low to the ground our dingo can load it and/or we can load landscape barrels of stuff into it without having to lift that high. With a dump truck I really don't have the option.

As far as how much I make with it...well I'm not sure cause its really all part of the job. I've never been hired to just haul leaves away. I'm hired to perform a leaf cleanup and haul them away. However, I charge around $35 per cubic yard (before its shredded through the loader) removal fee...this fee doesn't include actual leaf cleanup.

Usually, we can go a whole week before having to empty the trailer...of course MANY factors determine that. It holds about 15 yards of shredded debris. Biggest thing is whether or not there is rain in the forcast. If there is we like to empty it no matter how full/empty it is cause it doesn't want to slide out as easy with our canvas/tarp system.

Best of all, it doesn't cost me a dime to get rid off it. My nursery takes it from me for free. Now, I do have the cost of fuel/wear/tear but there is no cost associated with disposal. So that $35/yd is almost 100% profit.

So, if we fill the trailer to the brim (which is rare) we will be seeing about $700...for one trip to dump it.

S3Scooter
10-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Its a bust, any one want to buy my machine? $2500 takes everything.
(540)308-5665
Scott

Lowes_Landscaping
11-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Here is our 14' dump. Just under 20 yards.

mdrlandscaping
11-09-2006, 06:13 PM
http://www.mulchmule.com/home.html dats what its about

lawncare18
11-09-2006, 06:50 PM
jameson.. you guys still use your quick36 much?? love the mower man looks like your guys love it to. How late do you guys work up there into the season?? a few more weeks left in ny and thats about it where i am.

mag360
11-09-2006, 07:26 PM
http://www.mulchmule.com/home.html dats what its about

Wow. Unique machine. The materials just don't add up to the $48,000.00 price tag for the base model, though.
I would have expected 10-15k maybe.

mdrlandscaping
11-09-2006, 07:44 PM
price will get down eventually after all they've just started that business within the last 2 or 3 years