PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake Going Slack

lawnspecialties
09-24-2006, 08:18 PM
My SuperZ (26 Kaw LC with 60" deck) has developed an annoying problem. It appears the brake on the left wheel is getting weak. Where that becomes an issue is during travel from job to job on the trailer. By the time I get to my destination, the left side has backed up enough to cause the mower to sit at quite an angle. Often the deck is rubbing against the fenderwell of the trailer.

The other day, I accelerated a little strong from a traffic light and watched it in the mirror. Sure enough, you could see the back wheel roll back a little. It's not totally gone, but it sure doesn't do what it's supposed to be doing. By the way, it has a little over 530 hrs.

My dealer said bring it in when I can, but for me, that's at least two months away for a problem no bigger than this. Any suggestions on what I can check or adjust? Thanks.:)

mowerconsultant
09-25-2006, 01:28 PM
The brake linkage is adjustable in a couple of places, along with the brake shoes inside the drum.
Take a look at the linkage and you will see what I am talking about.
It is uncommon for it to get loose, I would have your dealer take a look at it.
Side note...... I would still be strapping down the mower, the parking brake is not intended to hold the mower on a moving trailer.

Pj

MGV
09-25-2006, 09:01 PM
I have the same problem on my Super Z. The right side brake does not hold. I have mine held down with 3 ratchet straps but it will still move from job to job without that brake holding. Mine only has 50 hrs on it.

lawnspecialties
09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the response.

I do strap the mower down at the rear. There are holes at the bottom of the rear frame that work nicely so I strap them in a manner so it won't come flying by me in sudden stop. It's the rolling backwards I haven't got covered. (Remember the rant I went on a few months back about why there aren't any dedicated loops for strapping down mowers?) :)