PDA

View Full Version : question about running double blades

lzrj
09-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Ive read about running double blades. My question is do most just stack them staight on top of one another or do you put a washer or two between the blades to create a gap. I was thinking if you put a washer between the blades to create the gap, it will cut the grass into smaller pieces. I have the everride warrior which they do not make a mulch kit. Or how about the gator blades, people seem to like them for leaves, but how do they do for making finer grass clippings?

khouse
09-25-2006, 10:42 AM
if you don't have an adapter to lock the blades at 90 degrees then all they will do is line up or stack when you hit anything. i would buy mulching blades and close off your chute if you want to mulch.

JFizzle
09-27-2006, 09:57 AM
I've been thinking its time to try doubles also. I currently have gators and am not completely satisfied with the way they mulch leaves- even with a mulch kit. I thought that today I would try a set of high-lifts under the gators. I think that the high lifts will lift and cut and then the gators will cut again and shread the clippings. I'll let you know how it goes.

Raven386
09-27-2006, 10:10 AM
I've been running Hi-Lifts & Gators.... i have no adapter. but they have stayed crossed. I'm running it on my 48" Lesco. as long as its not wet. they work great. when its wet I'm still double cutting tall grass. just make sure to grease the Sh!t out of everything.. i can hear it putting strain on the mower when it gets bogged down. but i only have a 15 Kawi on it... on the 52" there's a 19... and it worked a lot better on that, not as much bogging down. the blades take a while to start up... and to stop. it does ok on leaves. its blows them a lot further with the doubles. it mulches them up a fair amount... sticks on the other hand... i have a mini chipper now! I'm going to use just gators and mulch leaves and then with the gators & hi-lifts on.. ill take some pictures of the clippings. its a noticeable difference. theres no mulching plates, chute blocker nothing on the mower. JMO

dfischer
09-27-2006, 10:22 AM
hi lifts and gators, never had them even move, much less stack, and I set them up to get as close to even a cut height as possible. (the gators had more upsweep in the blade then the deere, so by putting them on the bottom they are darn near level w/each other). Even so, the upper blade wears noticeably less.

Raven386
09-27-2006, 06:03 PM
after adjusting the tention on my belts, my machine did not bog down once today. cut through tall grass and leaves.. im getting the mulch kit for my machine hopefully this week and i will put a new set of Gators & Hi-Lifts and then another new set of Hi-Lifts and try out my un-scientific test.

dfischer
09-27-2006, 07:42 PM
lzrj, you did understand you set them up like a + sign, yes?

lzrj
09-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes...thanks, understand now. So I guess just the torque from the bolt put on the blades when you install them keeps them staying in a plus sign pattern. Raven, are you talking about running triple blades.... high lift, gator, high lift? That sounds like its way too much weight and will really wear out the spindles fast. I'm even leary about running doubles and wearing out the spindles sooner. Let us know how that goes.

Raven386
09-27-2006, 11:29 PM
no just hi-lifts & gators...sorry.

Raven386
09-27-2006, 11:30 PM
i meant it as im going to try hi-lifts & gators - brand new. and then take those off and put new hi-lifts on it. so the blades are perfect and sharp and not worn at all.

dcondon
09-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Ours go right on top of each other. If you know what your doing you will not hit anything. Trust me it takes a lot to twist the top blade around.

Raven386
09-28-2006, 12:49 AM
i have a spacer inbetween mine. im gonna take it out tomarrow. just didnt know if it was better with or without it..

mmrg120
12-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi, I had a little problem with double blades not staying in place, One small spot weld on each side and no problems now. ( welds easy to grind off if needed.) MMRG120

Green King
12-15-2006, 02:55 PM
My dad runs everide warriors one with a bag and one with a mulch kit that he got from the dealer. You might want to call your dealer about a mulch kit!