PDA

View Full Version : asphalt grindings

megacity
09-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Has anyone used asphalt grindings for driveways?Any advise on how to use and compact?

forestfireguy
09-25-2006, 02:47 PM
We used them for farm roads when I worked on one years ago. get them graded and level with a skid and use a compacting roller. This was sufficient for a farm road, however if this a "for sale service" you'd better do more than just listen to me.

KERRTURF
09-25-2006, 02:50 PM
I used them in my lane. You have to spread them out evenly, and after they compact go back over them to level it all out. They worked great for me, they have been in an area that used to wash out all of the time for about three years now with no problem. After a good hot summer they harden back up real nice.

DVS Hardscaper
09-25-2006, 08:04 PM
They work well for a road with a light volume of traffic.

However, if they have chunks in them - the chunks WILL make for a VERY bumpy ride after the grindings compact and erode, which WILL happen over time.

I know first hand! I live 7/10 of a mile off the road. And the lane leading to my front door is at the moment........Asphalt Millings.

stumpjumper
09-25-2006, 08:12 PM
They've worked great in my driveway. I have friend who's a trucker, a couple of years ago he was hauling on a highway job close to home. He brought me a semi dump load for $100.00. Smoothed it with a box blade, made a nice driveway. Mine was a fine grind.

CAG
09-25-2006, 09:49 PM
we have them around are shop and the only down side is when they get hot they stick to your tires and shoes.. other then that they great and cheap!!

megacity
09-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the replies,Highway job at 50.00 a load I guess I cant go wrong.I cant get gravel hauled for that.I've heard you can spray something on top of them to help bond back together-anyone know what?Thanks again.

Viseras lawn service
09-26-2006, 08:21 PM
i think this would be ideal for my shop....one question...can you turn a skid steer on it in the dead of winter?

we mix or own salt/sand and this could be a problem if they tear up...

i assume its impossible in the hot summer when it is soft..

Gman2310
09-27-2006, 12:26 AM
we own a rental store and our whole back lot is made from this stuff. All we did was spread the loads out, didnt even roll it, after a while it compacts itself down. The only problem in the winter is if you turn a bobcat in a complete circle it rips it up a little bit, but just level it out and its good as new. Cheapest form of a driveway