PDA

View Full Version : ramp???for wheelchair

DUSTYCEDAR
09-25-2006, 09:14 PM
i have to build a handicap ramp and i want to wrap it around the large square front porch that is currently there the grade is in my favor slopes the way i need it to
have any of u installed a handicap ramp? and do u have any tips???
thanks for any help.

KERRTURF
09-26-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure what you are looking for, but the main thing that you need to do is make sure that the width is at least 36", the decking must be smooth enough to roll a chair down it (no bumps that may cause the chair to flip), and that the slope is correct.For example, a typical door height from a garage into the home in my area is 18" from the base of the garage floor to the bottom of the door sill. This would require a ramp that is at least 18' long, or 1' of ramp for every inch of height.
Measure the difference in height between the porch and wherever you are ending the ramp in order to figure out the distance of the ramp needed. If you give me some pictures and some measurments, I will help you the best I can.

bigviclbi
09-26-2006, 07:27 PM
your railings will need to meet specs as well as ramp being the 1' to 1" slope. pita i'm about to do one as well.

forestfireguy
09-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Are you using wood, pouring cement or using wall block ? I would provide some kind of railing along the deck, I built a wodd one years ago and got called back because the person got the chair wheel to wedge between the rail and the deck, think of it running parrelel to the edge and just slipping off, then being stuck. 2x2 screwed to deck at the very egde prevented a repeat.

green_mark
09-27-2006, 12:19 AM
i have to build a handicap ramp and i want to wrap it around the large square front porch that is currently there the grade is in my favor slopes the way i need it to
have any of u installed a handicap ramp? and do u have any tips???
thanks for any help.

we actually make these and have one in stock if you are interested.

651-789-1830

www.handyramp.com

Electra_Glide
09-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Don't know if you need to be ADA compliant, but if you do, the specs can be found at:

http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm#4.8

Joe