View Full Version : Small Trencher Recommendation

06-07-2001, 09:55 PM
I am in the market for a new small irigation trencher. I am in Florida, so 6-8 inches max is fine. Which is the best?

06-09-2001, 07:50 PM
I have a Vermeer 1150 walk behind that works fairly well for small stuff. Honda engine. Have tried ditch witch but didn't like them as well.

06-10-2001, 02:37 AM

I am also from Florida. You might want to go with the 12" depth. I reccomend this because the sand is not dense enough to stay together, so it will fall back in the hole leaving it about 4-6" deep. I put in a sprinkler system and rented the eight inch trencher thanking it would be enough, but it wasn't. Go with the 12.:cool:

06-10-2001, 02:52 AM
Good point

06-10-2001, 04:53 PM
Check out the Dingo's for trenching.It costs a little more but its worth it.I have one with rubber tracks so I can work rain or shine.www.toro.com

06-11-2001, 03:42 PM
Why don't you check out a piper or pipe puller. I have used Maxi/mini sneakers by Case and they work much better and less mess than a trencher. I know that there are walkbehind models that pipe as well. Just my .02:blob3:

06-11-2001, 06:59 PM
How much do the trenchers start out at?

Rick C.
06-28-2001, 10:37 PM
I use a Ground Hog a walk behind or you really have to pull it It cost about $2,000 does the trench depth you want works great and has made me a lot of $$$ and saved me alot from having to rent a large trencher say a ditchwitch 1020 for doing about the same job. Great for a Mid size job or a quick revisions and maint. cost for the past 2 years about $100.00.

07-16-2001, 11:40 PM
I highly recommend the Dingo, made by Toro. I have personaly
operated the trancher in various jobs, installing complete systems. The machine has so many attachments available to the buyer, it virtually takes all the back breaking work out of a complete installation, and you can use it at you house, doing many landscape projects...Good Luck in your search...

07-17-2001, 11:02 AM
Can you pull PVC pipe? I thought Florida always used PVC for all lines.

07-17-2001, 08:05 PM
you can pull pvc with your pipe puller. Irrigation grade pvc (class 200) is pretty thin walled and is pretty flexible. I'm sure you can't make as tight of a radius as with poly, but it can be done.