PDA

View Full Version : hardscaping, landscaping, and lighting

rb_in_va
09-26-2006, 04:42 PM
I will eventually be doing all three in this area. I will be tearing out the large espalierated pyracantha and maybe the other plants along the wall in the first pic. I rather like the plants in the second pic. I am open to any and all suggestions. I will do some work myself, but some stuff I will have to contract out.

I want to stay with smaller plants (the largest being something like a dwarf jap maple). I want a variety of colors and textures. Help!

Pro-Scapes
09-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Ok RB

I replied to you in the lighting forum but since this is a different topic we will do this here.

First off I would cut a path across the lawn and install a paver or stone walkway then place some area lights around it. Uplight the nice brick wall to add your security lighting you had mentioned. Continue the uplighting around the front of the home.

get rid of the DIY brick border and either just have nice edges from the turf to the beds and let mulch fall in there or do something more attractive.

Thats a pretty narrow bed in there where is squeezes down. Kinda out of place you got the biggest bush in the narrowest area.

Smaller plantings in there... Dwarf nandina... perhaps some cone shaped or spiraled boxwoods. Alternativly bring it out a bit and do a pondless waterfall and plant some native grasses around it but nothing that will get big... Your nursery should be able to help you with this.

I would bring the corner out a bit and consider using a nice tree you can regulate the hight on like a varigrated ligustrum then uplight the tree. Your dwarf jap maple would also work but I would stick that on the end. I cant tell what the bushes are in front from your pics.

Number one common mistake i see from homeowners is planting too close to the house along with planting too much. Rememeber things will grow!

Hope this helps.

rb_in_va
09-28-2006, 09:25 AM
I appreciate all the advice. I do plan on using small plants. I moved to this house in June, and inherited the existing lanscape. The plants along the front of the house are azaleas. I like them, but may spread them out a bit and put contrasting colors and textures in there. About the border, I have several different border types around the house, some of which are rotten wood. I want to tear them all out and do the same border everywhere, just haven't decided what it will be if anything. I like the idea of just making a sort of trough. I would like to use something more natural looking like belgium block about 1-2" above ground level. Maybe I could do belgium block in the front of the house and no border everywhere else.

About lights, thanks for the tip about bringing the lights around the front. That would be much more dramatic. I will have to research the pondless watefall. That would work for me as I have a 4 year old.

Pro-Scapes
09-28-2006, 05:11 PM
just be careful the nieghborhood kids dont soap your waterfall....We did it as kids :)

You can rent a machine called a bedscaper for a nominal fee... works like an easy trench but cuts a tapered side up into the beds. Then maintain with a stick edger or inverted trimmer. cost in minimal and would save you alot of materials. You can always add a border later if you still want. I preffer the clean look.

On the azaleas if you like em keep em. I personally hate em and dont incorperate them into my work unless specifically requested.

Ask your nursery about 25 gallon varigrated ligustrums and some of the maples you wanted. Sweet olives would also be nice.

If you want it to stay nice year round stick with ever greens. If you want a really slick touch add some brody juniper spirals near the doorway.,

rb_in_va
09-29-2006, 07:19 AM
I like azaelas, just not so many of them so close together. I would like to use some evergreens to have winter color, just not sure on what type yet. I like the spiral junipers, but aren't they used in more formal beds?

Pro-Scapes
09-29-2006, 06:52 PM
We used them in some pretty informal beds and they look great. If you want something besides green try dwarf nandina. varies between red and green and a yellowish sometimes

rb_in_va
10-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Here are some pics of the planter bed with that huge bush out of there. It was a pyracantha, and had a bad case of girdled roots.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/frontierrog/house/landscaping/Picture200.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/frontierrog/house/landscaping/Picture199.jpg