PDA

View Full Version : Lb

vipermanz
06-08-2001, 03:13 AM
any ideas to how or why a lawnboy will run at high rpms when started then go down really low and smoke alot more than usual and then go back up to a high speed? i use the lawnboy 2 cycle oil at a 32:1 ratio as specified in the manual and the throttle is set on high so it shouldn't be that.
any help is appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jz:confused:

vipermanz
06-09-2001, 04:19 AM
sometimes if i let it sit after use, i will come back to it and it will have gas running down the side of it(stuck needle?) out of the air filter
maybe it just needs a good carb adjustment,hmmm i don't know ho to do that very well either!

Jason Pallas
06-09-2001, 10:42 AM
My guess is that you've got a spring that's broken. There's a spring on the vane/govenor assembly that regulates the butterfly valve in the carb. If this spring is broken or binding/not adjusted right, this will cause the engine to race like this. The leaking gas from the air filter is also a sign that the needle valve on the float in the carb is not seating properly. Take it apart and inspect it. It may be worn and need replacing or it may be something as simple as some dirt caught in the seat. While you're at it (in that deep into the carb) you might as well take the screen off of the venturi valve pickup and remove the innner sleeve. Blow that sleeve out clean and inspect that area for dirt and debris too. It can cause a motor to run poorly too (won't get the right gas/air mix). I know these machines like the back of my hand - Good luck.:D

vipermanz
06-10-2001, 07:09 PM
I have a lawnboy 8241, It starts good and runs good for about 2mins and then it bogs down....lacking power......if I let it sit for awhile it get better. Ive checked filters and changed the plug but nothing is better?
Please help

p.s it does this in 2 minute+/- intervals

Jason Pallas
06-10-2001, 09:39 PM
Vipermanz - sounds like you might have a fuel vacuum problem - try running it without the fuel cap, the air vent hole may be plugged. Try that and post the results back here.

vipermanz
06-11-2001, 02:44 AM
that didn't do it

Keith
06-11-2001, 02:49 AM
Exhaust port or the muffler may be clogged.

vipermanz
06-11-2001, 02:55 AM
would that make the engine race up and down?

Keith
06-11-2001, 03:01 AM
We used lawnboys a long time ago. From time to time we would have to have the muffler cleaned. Keep in mind this is before I ever worked on my on equipment (15 years ago)and I am not totally familiar with what is required. All I know is our Lawnboys would surge and bog very badly and pour out really bad smelling smoke when it needed to be cleaned. Sorry I can't offer any more info.

vipermanz
06-11-2001, 03:03 AM
that's funny because mine #8241 was made in '85 (like me)!

vipermanz
06-11-2001, 03:35 PM
do these have governers on them?

also, is the muffler 2 pieces or 1? It is the under deck kind