PDA

View Full Version : How do you promote Retaining walls?

MJK
09-27-2006, 08:38 PM
I love doing them and i'm very good at doing them. My question how do you get more of them? How do you advertise them? What i'm thinking about is you know how you can make flyers and say why brick pavers are better then concrete, well i want to do somthing similar with retaining walls but i can't seem to think of anything. Can someone pass along some ideas? Thanks a ton for your guys help. You have been knowlegalbe.

YardPro
09-27-2006, 08:41 PM
ask you distributer, they should have some of that info

sheshovel
09-27-2006, 08:59 PM
That would fall under advertizing for errosion control I believe.

YardPro
09-27-2006, 09:28 PM
i don't think he was looking for a category.

sheshovel
09-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Who cares what you think?

Mike33
09-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Excellant post. I have been building them since 98 and at first i was among the few doing them. Later it became more compative. My area almost everyone needs one, here in the mountain area with a lt of hills. I have alot out there over 180 strong. I still strive for more of this business and this year we will of built around 35. People has seen my walls and i get the referals. My biggest ? has been where to advertise. My yellow page ad is very expensive but works. Under landscaping i have a dollar bill add and stating srw factory certifiedd etc., under excavating i have small add ad. walls again. Under general contractors i have another small add. I always asked what is best because where does an average person look in yellow page for a srw? I even tried under masonry cont. that sucked everyone called me one year to lay brick. So where does average homeowner look when they need a wall? I do a home show in our area that has been very successful. I gained about 6 jobs this year from it. If any one is interested i can post a few pics from my show from this past spring.
Mike

kootoomootoo
09-28-2006, 12:43 AM
post some pics mike.

GroundScapesIncorporated
09-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Excellant post. I have been building them since 98 and at first i was among the few doing them. Later it became more compative. My area almost everyone needs one, here in the mountain area with a lt of hills. I have alot out there over 180 strong. I still strive for more of this business and this year we will of built around 35. People has seen my walls and i get the referals. My biggest ? has been where to advertise. My yellow page ad is very expensive but works. Under landscaping i have a dollar bill add and stating srw factory certifiedd etc., under excavating i have small add ad. walls again. Under general contractors i have another small add. I always asked what is best because where does an average person look in yellow page for a srw? I even tried under masonry cont. that sucked everyone called me one year to lay brick. So where does average homeowner look when they need a wall? I do a home show in our area that has been very successful. I gained about 6 jobs this year from it. If any one is interested i can post a few pics from my show from this past spring.
Mike

Im interested in seeing the pictures from the show.

Lets see em.

YardPro
09-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Who cares what you think?

he was asking for how to advertise for more wall jobs, and you just give a caregory of work????
not the type of advise he was asking for....

refer to your sig line..

sheshovel
09-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Just seeing if your claws were still out.

DVS Hardscaper
09-28-2006, 09:27 PM
How do I promote retaining walls?

Usually from within!!!!!

Mike33
09-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Okey ill try some pics. This is from home show last april it was all weekend and was a great succes.
Booth 1 My wife and new grandson
Booth 2 Me with wife, step daughter, sales rep and friend
Booth 3 My wife
Booth 4 my self, notice wall height i am 6'1" i wanted to show a wall with descent height

hickslawns
09-29-2006, 01:24 AM
As always, nice pics Mike!

Something to remember doing shows like these is your appearance and presentation. Look nice. Make your booth simple, yet informative. Too much info will deter them. Be professional. Filter your language and talk with the confidence that you should have in yourself and your work. People pick up on body language and stammering speech. I always try to stand tall and speak without any hesitation. I try to act like I am back in the military in uniform speaking to civilians. There is a pride you carry in uniform and I consider my company shirt my uniform everyday. The first impression is important to most people. This stuff seems common sense, but it is often overlooked. I plan on doing some more of these next year as well.

cedarcroft
09-29-2006, 07:14 AM
Nice set up Mike.
did you buy the block for the show, or do you have the manufacturer "loan" it to you?
we have a big home show here on LI every spring and a booth like that would definitly draw business.
I would hire a HOT chick to help man the booth. :)

Mike33
09-29-2006, 07:04 PM
As always, nice pics Mike!

Something to remember doing shows like these is your appearance and presentation. Look nice. Make your booth simple, yet informative. Too much info will deter them. Be professional. Filter your language and talk with the confidence that you should have in yourself and your work. People pick up on body language and stammering speech. I always try to stand tall and speak without any hesitation. I try to act like I am back in the military in uniform speaking to civilians. There is a pride you carry in uniform and I consider my company shirt my uniform everyday. The first impression is important to most people. This stuff seems common sense, but it is often overlooked. I plan on doing some more of these next year as well.
Thanks Hicks for all the kind words. Yes this is my 4th year at our home show and i always dress in this manner. Another contractor showing his hardscaping him and his whole crew dress in there work tee shirts and boots. That might be fine, how ever you will not see me like that. This show over this weekend draws around 15,000 all walks of life. I might roll in the dirt working but i will not present my self like this at a show. There was another couple that has a nursery and does some landscaping look like they walked off the job then to the show. I figure most of my work starts out at min. 5k and up this takes a special person to be able to afford all of us. When you present your self to the public as a red neck you will get that kind of respect back. I am a peoples person and enjoy talking with people at the show and wonder who is really going to go with me.
Mike

Mike33
09-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Nice set up Mike.
did you buy the block for the show, or do you have the manufacturer "loan" it to you?
we have a big home show here on LI every spring and a booth like that would definitly draw business.
I would hire a HOT chick to help man the booth. :)
I borrow the block for the show except this year i was going to next job with this color. My wife is very attractive, how ever she is also a peoples person. What she will do when im talking to a potental client and some one is standing waiting for me, she will go over and start short talk conversation to hold them until i get to them. Also she writes down name and phone numbers of clients wanting me to come out for a estimate. There is a another cont. there who wife thinks she knows everything , i disagree people wants to talk to a man most of the time. Shows are expensive my booths cost me $1,600.00 for rent, $500.00 in give away garbage, plus business cards. A full day to sit up than tear down. All of this you have to give it all you got.
Mike

RockSet N' Grade
09-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Mike,
I have been asking myself the same question.....It's referals, its presentation, its exposure, its a photo album......it's all sorts of combination of things that get you to the point of sale where you either sign the deal or don't. I just started reading a book called "You Can't Teach A Kid To Ride A Bike At A Seminar" by David H. Sandler who is at Bailey Marketing Concepts in Irvine, California.
The question I ask myself is: What if everyone I presented my contract to said "YES!" and why am I getting only 40% of my bids. Alot of reasons why, I am sure, but sales and closing the deal have never been my strong suit.....

Mike33
09-30-2006, 09:42 PM
My favorite saying mavbe location and location. Maybe where your at your price structure maybe high for your area? Or do you have a lot of competion? There is about 5 of us in my area and now i am probably the most experienced. Many factors can arise why you dont get a job you bid.
Mike

RockSet N' Grade
10-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Mike.....I gotta chuckle....Really, I am happy with the percentage I get........what cracks me up, is that I am in Utah, and these folks here have the first nickle they ever made, their priorities are price only - no consideration for quality or creativity.....and yea, I am on the high side (anyone is who doesn't work for free around here) and that is where I prefer to stay and the clients I prefer to attract....I stress quality, creativity and a fair price.....not mass production stuff that looks like it was thrown together.....My point really was, I continue to strive to learn, and the book that I mentioned is an awesome book.....Sandler (the author) is one of the top guns in his chosen field and recognized world-wide.
The origional question was: How do I promote retaining walls? There are nuggets in that book that have helped me......

Mike33
10-03-2006, 09:54 PM
I am going to take a different approach for next year. maybe i can take the time over the winter to read that. I have a hard time sitting down this time of the year to read anything. Thanks for the in put and good luck to you. One last thing i thought my area was cheap also i always say prople around here like to play lets make a deal.
Mike